BRS DEPOTS

chrisb01:

yorkshire terrier:
Was this building the actual depot in leeds■■? Iv always wondered if it was.

Hi,Yorkshire terrier,this was in fact Leeds area regional office known as Templer House.it was used not as a depot but as the main admin office for the Leeds area.the depots in Leeds were parcels office on brown lane,general haulage depots on water lane and meadow lane.for pictures of these depots check out page 110 on the" British Road Service" trucknet site.
regards Chris.attached is another picture of Templer House.

Wasn’t the big depot next door to Elland Road football ground the main Leeds warehouse?

hi leej
the depot at the side of the football ground was one of the 2 depots of castle bros transport,when the sold out to t.d.g. it then became a b.r.s. depot,but a shadow of its former self.
regards
sm1 (from leeds)

Hello guys I used to work at the bus Corby depot in Geddington road still there split into 3 separate trans yards ( 90 per cent steel the rest was whiskey and odds and sods) don’t forget the northampton depot ( bus Overland going to Iran 6 wks started with guy then scammell both day cabs,until they got there new leyland marathons absolutely fabulous vehs,regarding derby depot we did some work for them mainly lawnmowers daddies sauces and heavy machinery,Grimsby depot we did Grimsby fish No fridges just insulated boxes packed with ice change drivers at peterboro max delivery time from loading was 12 hrs. I have just retired after 45 yrs driving got to try and find something pastime,very good and interesting Web site cheers guys albert

Hiya,
You’re very welcome Albert, nice to see a drop of new blood and if it’s BRS related
I love to read it, It won’t be long before you find that there isn’t enough hours in
the day to do nothing my good lady keeps me on my toes, and I’ve found there isn’t
enough hours in the day and you’ll find you won’t be able to phone in a sickie and
there isn’t any holidays, or double time when slogging away on a Sunday. I love it.
thanks harry, long retired.

albert49:
Hello guys I used to work at the bus Corby depot in Geddington road still there split into 3 separate trans yards ( 90 per cent steel the rest was whiskey and odds and sods) don’t forget the northampton depot ( bus Overland going to Iran 6 wks started with guy then scammell both day cabs,until they got there new leyland marathons absolutely fabulous vehs,regarding derby depot we did some work for them mainly lawnmowers daddies sauces and heavy machinery,Grimsby depot we did Grimsby fish No fridges just insulated boxes packed with ice change drivers at peterboro max delivery time from loading was 12 hrs. I have just retired after 45 yrs driving got to try and find something pastime,very good and interesting Web site cheers guys albert

Hiya Albert , knew a few corby lads just before its closure 1995 , Brian Manning , Dave Hamilton , Terry Chapman , Fred Watson - some ex corrinden men - they ended there days on the sealed air contract

Hi,
I remember there was one at Cheetham Hill (Manchester), not sure what is on the site now.

hcobain:
Hi,
I remember there was one at Cheetham Hill (Manchester), not sure what is on the site now.

Hiya,
Yes it went by the name of BRS Cheetham, fuelled up in there many times.
thanks harry, long retired.

Was the Grimsby fish job based at Lincoln ? When we were doing day release at Lincoln tec college around 1973 / 74 there was always fish wagons going into Monks road from about 4.30 pm onwards . Think they had some sugar tankers there as well . Regards Geoff

dosser:
Was the Grimsby fish job based at Lincoln ? When we were doing day release at Lincoln tec college around 1973 / 74 there was always fish wagons going into Monks road from about 4.30 pm onwards . Think they had some sugar tankers there as well . Regards Geoff

The Grimsby fish job was operated from many depots all over the country, I know they ran some from Bromford lane B’ham. This was also the case with the sugar job which was run nationwide.

Trev_H:

dosser:

The Grimsby fish job was operated from many depots all over the country, I know they ran some from Bromford lane B’ham. This was also the case with the sugar job which was run nationwide.[/quote

Remember doing a night changeover at brs southern in brentford with my late father,just after 2300hrs for about a hour it was dedicated to the little bmc,s after the grimsby fish trunker had delivered.This was late 70,s and if you were a little late off to the mobile sandwich bar at end of road.
These bmc,s went on to deliver to the shops and did not hang around.

Now then you “Red & Rusters” :frowning: I’m trying to type this post while holding my nose with finger and thumb, Oh! ■■■■ it Phew! that’s better I can breath and use both hand’s to type, well as aTN member I am free to post on any thread :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: On the matter of old BRS depots/areas the Morecambe Bay Group (can’t remember it’s code number but I’ve seen it somewhere!) At nationalisation in 1948 the Morecambe Bay Group consisted of 3 depots and these were located in Barrow,based on Athersmith Bros.,Lancaster based on F. Milner and a small depot at Maude St. Kendal.There was also the Edward Box depot in Barrow which Pickfords took over and this served the Vickers Shipyard,Pickfords kept this depot operating into the early 60’s!IIRC.Harold Athersmith(the youngest Brother) was the Morecambe Bay Group manager and Fred Milner was the depot manager at Lancaster.When the great day came in the early 50’s and denationalisation started I believe that the Morecambe Bay Group was among the first to be “unloaded”.Athersmith Bros restarted and Fred Milner kicked off again although he “bit the dust” in 1966 IIRC.Locally at Milnthorpe Maggie Bowman the formidable Matriarch that ran J.B. Hudson’s at Sandside got her hands on 5 ex BRS “A” licences and ran 4 Octopus 8 wheelers and one ERF 4 wheeler.Hudson’s had quite a spread of traffic around the area,Barrow Steel and Pig Iron,Croppers Paper mill,Libbys,Gilbert Gilkes Turbines,Limestone rockery and Sea washed turf by the ton! so they had to sub much of this traffic to other local hauliers.I have a little black book in my possession which I aquired when I took over the haulage interests of Davy & Co (Grange) Ltd.in 1976 as they had bought the haulage business of J B Hudson in 1966 from Athersmith Bros who in turn had bought the “A” licence from the excecutors of Maggie Bowman in 1960 but they couldn’t move the licences into Barrow so the 5 motors had to carry on operating from Sandside which wasn’t really satisfactory for Athersmiths.In the little black book is a record of the subbed traffic during the late 50’/early 60’s and some of the rates paid to the subbies in those days are far better than what mug hauliers run for nowadays without a doubt :blush: Cheers Bewick.

Thanks for that potted history Dennis. Although dad’s business was mainly removals vans, he had acquired (I think) a couple of tippers and flats in the war. His firm was compulsorily purchased for £10,000 by BRS and merged with the Athersmith fleet. I don’t think Bradys were very big at that point, ‘young’ Bob will remember better than me, I’ll have to ask him. Certainly at one point just after the war, Dad had a Jensen van and the Bradys wanted to buy it but couldn’t afford it. Dad told me this with some irony since Bradys had about 100 truck at the time he told me!

Although that was a lot of money at the time, Dad always said it didn’t reflect the value of the business. When they denationalised, he bought 2 vans to start again, but his heart was never in it and he sold them in about 1954 to Alan Cooksey.

If I remember correctly, Athersmiths had a garage in Ulverston at first, which later became Hadwins coaches depot. They then moved to the Abbey road garage in these photos, (that must have been before or just after Nationalisation - I always remember them being there in my childhood)before eventually moving to the big warehouse on Hindpool Road, in, I guess about 1960.

image.jpg

image.jpg

John

curnock:
somebody once told me what is now asda at junction 2 m5, was a brs depot
is that right

Oldbury Depot

lolipop:

curnock:
somebody once told me what is now asda at junction 2 m5, was a brs depot
is that right

Oldbury Depot

No the BRS depot was where Toys r US and muckdonalds is, the Asda building was Leyland Motors depot, here is a pic of the Leyland depot,Cheer’s Pete

ec.jpg

As I recall, Richardson’s were around there, weren’t they?

Retired Old ■■■■:
As I recall, Richardson’s were around there, weren’t they?

Richardson’s depot was not far away, I think Richardson’s bought the Leyland site and it was used for car auctions

Thanks, Pete.

biggusdickusgb:

harry:
The Ipswich one is now Sainsbury ,I believe. The Colchester one in North Station Rd. is now newish flats. The alleyway is still there , Victoria Chase next to the old Victoria pub. The Elmstead Branch is ,I think ,is a truck junkyard.Whitings.

wasn’t the ipswich one just off brunel rd, not where the sainsbury’s is but on the back of the ind est behind it.

No it went to the Lynx yard on the hadliegh rd ind est after they built sainsburys . The entrance was next to where the cafe still is

I noticed today that the old Priory Goods yard building in Dover that housed the BRS depot there is starting to come down. It has been earmarked for the chop for years, and has stood empty since the late 90s when the last transport company (EVR Traction) moved on from there.

Three of my Uncles worked from there for BRS, and I worked from there for EVR in 1996/7 so I’m a bit sad to see it go, but it wasn’t nice watching it fall into ruin either…

GlenAnderson:
I noticed today that the old Priory Goods yard building in Dover that housed the BRS depot there is starting to come down. It has been earmarked for the chop for years, and has stood empty since the late 90s when the last transport company (EVR Traction) moved on from there.

Three of my Uncles worked from there for BRS, and I worked from there for EVR in 1996/7 so I’m a bit sad to see it go, but it wasn’t nice watching it fall into ruin either…

I used to get diesel from there next to the railway station on Folkestone rd. I knew one driver from there called Mick Sheridan , I think he went to Maidstone depot.