aec

Alan Firmin MK III Tin Front, AF 57 was flat out at about 32-35 MPH. As a lad I went out in it as a mate to help loading from the local farms and also up to Covent Garden if there was any garlic on. By my time all the danglers had gone, but if in the yard then it was grabbed by the fitters to tow in any local breakdowns after a few pallets of ballast had been loaded for traction.

So Fertilizer out of Ince? Where is this? Somewhere which sold Cleveland Discol from the sign in the background. My first thought was Toddington Northbound but it’s not quite right. Clearly post 1966 from the reg no. of the TIR Leyland Comet with the ERF? mirrors.

cav551:
Alan Firmin MK III Tin Front, AF 57 was flat out at about 32-35 MPH. As a lad I went out in it as a mate to help loading from the local farms and also up to Covent Garden if there was any garlic on. By my time all the danglers had gone, but if in the yard then it was grabbed by the fitters to tow in any local breakdowns after a few pallets of ballast had been loaded for traction.

So Fertilizer out of Ince? Where is this? Somewhere which sold Cleveland Discol from the sign in the background. My first thought was Toddington Northbound but it’s not quite right. Clearly post 1966 from the reg no. of the TIR Leyland Comet with the ERF? mirrors.

Ince is right up in the north. I used to collect ammonium nitrate in bags on a flat-bed trailer out of the fertilizer plant before it was classified as dangerous goods :wink: Robert

Like the other 8 leggers on the fleet AF 57 would have done its fair share of Scotch with or without trailer, the driver in its early life would have been Percy Wakely. A typical load would be reels out of Reeds or Maidstone Paper Converters going up however far and fertilizer out of Ince, or lubricants out of Shell-Mex Barton back into store at Linton.

Luralda Ltd manufactured tea chests in the formerly named Barrel Wharf Cubitt Town.

ERF-NGC-European:

cav551:

Ince is right up in the north. I used to collect ammonium nitrate in bags on a flat-bed trailer out of the fertilizer plant before it was classified as dangerous goods :wink: Robert

Behave yourself Robert! Ince right up in the North? Only a local from Kent surely?
As you say it is now classed as Hazzy, induction’s etc to get in there now, went from ICI to Growhow and is now called C F Fertilisers, Cheer’s Pete

pete smith:

ERF-NGC-European:

cav551:

Behave yourself Robert! Ince right up in the North? Only a local from Kent surely?
As you say it is now classed as Hazzy, induction’s etc to get in there now, went from ICI to Growhow and is now called C F Fertilisers, Cheer’s Pete

:laughing: :laughing: Fair comment! Oddly enough, I loaded a full 40’ trailer there once and when I looked at the loading notes the AN was to be delivered to a farm I could see from my bedroom window (yes, in Kent)!

When I got my ADR ticket a few years later I was amused to find that it suddenly been deemed ‘dangerous’ - which of course it is if you crash into two lorries carrying the other two ingredients of gunpowder in the middle of the Blackwall Tunnel! Cheers, Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

pete smith:

ERF-NGC-European:

cav551:

:laughing: :laughing: Fair comment! Oddly enough, I loaded a full 40’ trailer there once and when I looked at the loading notes the AN was to be delivered to a farm I could see from my bedroom window (yes, in Kent)!

When I got my ADR ticket a few years later I was amused to find that it suddenly been deemed ‘dangerous’ - which of course it is if you crash into two lorries carrying the other two ingredients of gunpowder in the middle of the Blackwall Tunnel! Cheers, Robert

Robert,
I suppose from Kent it is right up North! I’m in the middle so firmly sitting on the fence!
I can remember a few years ago when they demolished the ICI facility in Avonmouth, the empty pallets were classed as hazardous, about 2,000 of them in total! The whole plant was dismantled and loaded into containers for export to China, do not know if they have reassembled it? apologies for going off topic! Cheer’s Pete

Originally a coach registered in 1936 this AEC Regal was converted in to a pantechnicon in 1957 and is seen here
when operated by Albro Furniture of Ipswich in 1963.

Here’s a rarity! It’s a British-registered (about '65) AEC tractive unit with LHD and the normal-control cab favoured by the Belgians and French for their export AECs. A strange mixture indeed for those days! I wonder if it was a cancelled order and was operated by a UK international haulier. Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
Here’s a rarity! It’s a British-registered (about '65) AEC tractive unit with LHD and the normal-control cab favoured by the Belgians and French for their export AECs. A strange mixture indeed for those days! I wonder if it was a cancelled order and was operated by a UK international haulier. Robert

It has a 1965 UD Oxford reg plate Robert. I’ve seen one or two other photos of these but I think they all had Belgian/French plates. Chris.

ERF-NGC-European:

Yes, your wondering is correct Robert. A handful of these were operated by UK based continental hauliers. The model is a Mogul.

Here’s another AEC Mogul.

gingerfold:

ERF-NGC-European:

Yes, your wondering is correct Robert. A handful of these were operated by UK based continental hauliers. The model is a Mogul.

Ah yes, I’d forgotten the Mogul! The name itself is an echo from the past as there was a Maudsley Mogul before AEC took them over. Cheers for that, Graham. Robert

AEC Foss Islands Road York 1979.jpgHeading down a rather wet Foss Islands Road York in 1979.

39p a litre for diesel very nice :smiley:

moomooland:
039p a litre for diesel very nice :smiley:

That’s a gallon not a litre and everyone thought that was bleedin expensive… :smiley: :wink:

Carryfast:

moomooland:

That’s a gallon not a litre and everyone thought that was bleedin expensive… :smiley: :wink:

No, I think it is a litre.

It was about 5 bob a gallon back in the 60’s so I doubt it would be less than 8 bob a gallon a few years later. Plus zoomin in it does appear to say litres on the sign, unless I need Specsavers…

Dipster:

Carryfast:

moomooland:

No, I think it is a litre.

It was about 5 bob a gallon back in the 60’s so I doubt it would be less than 8 bob a gallon a few years later. Plus zoomin in it does appear to say litres on the sign, unless I need Specsavers…

I’ll second that…it does look like litres on the sign if you zoom in. Yes a £1 note would buy 4 gallons back in the '60s and give you a bit of change.

Apprentice spanner-chucker in early '60s. One of my main duties was to operate the fuel pumps- remember before self service? The most expensive petrol (Cleveland) was 4s 8d a gallon. Told my grand-daughter this when she started moaning about the cost of fuel and she didn’t believe me!

If the picture was taken in 1973 ( M reg. lorry ) , then diesel was about 40p per gallon, about 10p per litre !!!

Regards John.

PS. If the lorry was about 8 years old. ie photo taken in 1981. the price of fuel had quadrupled, so it would be litres !!