aec

gingerfold:

Retired Old ■■■■:

gingerfold:

Lawrence Dunbar:
Great shot of the `1966 AEC, The sheeting is crap IMO, Its terrible, Its like a ship in full sail, I dont know what Bewick think, I doubt it was one of his ex drivers :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: , Regards Larry.

That photo was of a load out of either Dobson & Barlow or Mather & Platt, both were neighbouring factories at Bradley Fold. I can’t remember which it was now. However, the driver of the Marshal was an ex-bus driver who was not proficient at roping and sheeting. He had started sheeting from the front of the load and not from the rear. That photo is out of Tommy Harwood’s collection and it was taken in Bolton.
[/quote
It would have saved the bus driver some embarrassment if his company had invested in my Overpriced Roping & Sheeting Course. :wink: :wink:

Yes I’m surprised that Tommy Harwood hadn’t shown him the ropes, so to speak. Tommy always liked things to be done correctly. Remembering now that the load on the Marshal was part of a very big export order, so it was probably ex-Dobson and Barlow, who manufactured cotton industry machinery. There were several loads all despatched over a couple of days and the Bolton Evening News (as it then was) ran a feature about it. Several of the Bolton hauliers had lorries on the job.

Going down radcliffe moor rd off bury rd dobbys was first m and p second.I worked for mathers for 4yrs serving part of my apprenticeship.All this before i got into truck driving[long story].

AEC Sydney Kingsford Smith Airport..jpgOne from down under.

BRS AEC-001.jpg

AEC Mustang operated by Corona Soft Drinks.

Thompson, Double Rivers, Crowle, Nr Scunthorpe. NMP
Mercury or a Mandator?

pete smith:
Mercury or a Mandator?

It’s a MK5 Mandator Pete. I think (which is dangerous) that only Shell put those Mandator type cabs on their Mercurys.That yard used to be a café as well on A18. :smiley:

Chris Webb:

pete smith:
Mercury or a Mandator?

It’s a MK5 Mandator Pete. I think (which is dangerous) that only Shell put those Mandator type cabs on their Mercurys.That yard used to be a café as well on A18. :smiley:

Very short wheelbase i bet they were interesting solo

ramone:

Chris Webb:

pete smith:
Mercury or a Mandator?

First wagon I drove when I came of the spanners for John Moran Bradford, we ran out of Barrett steel, A65 Buckhaw Brow was interesting when you hit scratcher the front wheels came of the floor. Les.

Great stuff, I drove some AEC,s in my young days running to London, South Wales, & the north of Scotland, In fact Smiles for Miles one of the firms I drove for would let me load out off Britton Ferry in South Wales for anyware as long as the rate was right, This was in the 60s when the regulations were easy, Not like to days stuff, I could call it crap, But being a Gentleman retired from the haulage game for 17 years I would would say its a load of ■■■■■■ :cry: :cry: :cry: , This is the Mk 5 AEC I drove for Smiles for Miles, My Late great Uncle Isaac, Regards Larry.

lespullan:

ramone:

Chris Webb:

pete smith:
Mercury or a Mandator?

First wagon I drove when I came of the spanners for John Moran Bradford, we ran out of Barrett steel, A65 Buckhaw Brow was interesting when you hit scratcher the front wheels came of the floor. Les.

I think Longs ran a few

That Mandator of Smiths must have been one of the last true AEC’s as the Ergos started to appear on the “C” reg’s, I recall Brady’s first Ergo cab was a “C” reg Badger and they also had some “C” reg LAD Badgers at the same time. Cheers Bewick.

You can almost hear the springs creaking on that Nightingales Tin Front.

Aye, but it’s a fine old workhorse, a motor full of character. :smiley:
No ratchet straps in those days, get the load well roped on under and over the sheets.
And look at the little Austin/Morris tucked in behind…“if you can’t see my mirrors I can’t see you” :unamused:

Middle of winter, ropes and sheets frozen…happy days. :wink:

cav551:
You can almost hear the springs creaking on that Nightingales Tin Front.

That Nightingales motor has a West Lothian registration could be ex Russell of Bathgate .?

T W Nightingale were a Leeds (Garforth) outfit… long gone. I don’t think they ever had new motors.

grumpy old man:
T W Nightingale were a Leeds (Garforth) outfit… long gone. I don’t think they ever had new motors.

Well GOM You could be correct the AEC MM, Has a Scotish reg, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

grumpy old man:

Looks like an ex Russell of Bathgate motor Larry ?.

shugg:

Lawrence Dunbar:

grumpy old man:

Looks like an ex Russell of Bathgate motor Larry ?.

You could right “shugg” Russell,s did run a lot of the AEC,s, Like GOM said they didnt buy new motors in those good old days, Regards Larry.