aec

Dipster:

Carryfast:

moomooland:
039p a litre for diesel very nice :smiley:

That’s a gallon not a litre and everyone thought that was bleedin expensive… :smiley: :wink:

No, I think it is a litre.

It was about 5 bob a gallon back in the 60’s so I doubt it would be less than 8 bob a gallon a few years later. Plus zoomin in it does appear to say litres on the sign, unless I need Specsavers…

:blush:

My bad I was only going by the reg on the wagon and didn’t look any further also got fooled by the black and white photo .It still ‘would’ have been around 40p a Gallon at that point then it jumped to around 10 bob in '74 and then around 15 bob in '75 :open_mouth: just as I was soon about to start driving. :frowning: The pricing in litres seems to date the pic to somewhere during the 80’s in that case but I’d totally forgot exactly when that change from gallons to litres happened and had to search for it and thought it happened later than that.

old 67:
If the picture was taken in 1973 ( M reg. lorry ) , then diesel was about 40p per gallon, about 10p per litre !!!

^ That’s what confused me. :wink:

old 67:
If the picture was taken in 1973 ( M reg. lorry ) , then diesel was about 40p per gallon, about 10p per litre !!!

Regards John.

PS. If the lorry was about 8 years old. ie photo taken in 1981. the price of fuel had quadrupled, so it would be litres !!

That’s probably a very good call, 1980-81, the front grille panel is not an original from 1973, and the top chrome pieces are the Leyland version. Ergomatic front grilles were very prone to the tin worm, so this is undoubtedly a replacement, and being a crane equipped lorry it would have a lengthy working life.

You’re all wrong !
Mid to late 80’s
1 Texaco sign didn’t come out till mid 80’s
2 Ford Orion in petrol station mk2 one so 86 earliest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue estate:
You’re all wrong !
Mid to late 80’s

Sorry Blue Estate, but I must correct you.

Texaco as a company has traded in the UK since 1916, when it sold lubricating oils, grease and waxes. Texaco bought the Regent Oil Company in 1959 which gave it a presence in petrol and diesel retailing from forecourts. From 1967 the Regent brand started to be replaced by Texaco branding, with the first Texaco service stations being in Northern Ireland. By 1970 the re-branding had been completed. 1974, Texaco claimed to be the first oil company to sell fuels refined from North Sea crude.

Another clue to the date is the retro-fitted tachograph and visible tacho card in the AEC windscreen, which it would had to have fitted by the end of 1981.

gingerfold:

blue estate:
You’re all wrong !
Mid to late 80’s

Texaco as a company has traded in the UK since 1916, when it sold lubricating oils, grease and waxes. Texaco bought the Regent Oil Company in 1959 which gave it a presence in petrol and diesel retailing from forecourts. From 1967 the Regent brand started to be replaced by Texaco branding, with the first Texaco service stations being in Northern Ireland. By 1970 the re-branding had been completed. 1974, Texaco claimed to be the first oil company to sell fuels refined from North Sea crude.

Another clue to the date is the retro-fitted tachograph and visible tacho card in the AEC windscreen, which it would had to have fitted by the end of 1981.

Texaco rebranded in the mid 80’s [emoji6] from the sign that had just the work Texaco in to the star with T in the centre

blue estate:

gingerfold:

blue estate:
You’re all wrong !
Mid to late 80’s

Texaco rebranded in the mid 80’s [emoji6] from the sign that had just the work Texaco in to the star with T in the centre

I’d already ( eventually :blush: :laughing: ) got to blue estate’s mid/late 80’s date from searching for the change from gallons to litres.Ironically I couldn’t believe it had been that long since the change and would have sworn the change was no earlier than the 90’s.It’s true what they say after 30 time seems to fly by twice as fast. :open_mouth: Although I should have noticed the ugly 80’s style Ford :smiling_imp: which would have made me think twice. :wink:

The Unleaded sign is a give away too, that stuff never existed in the 70s. 2*, 3*, 4*, diesel and paraffin was all you could get at a filling station, unlike today where you can do a weekly shop and get a three course meal in the places.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

June 1989 or later, judging by the logo on the driver’s shirt:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_(1989_film

I think that we all are correct in one way or another. Good detective work by everyone. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1967 ‘E’ Registered Guy Warrior, Primrose rear steer axle conversion, carrying Texaco livery, (when new it was Regent livery)

AEC Mercury ‘K’ Registered carrying Texaco Livery

Texaco Service Station showing prices in both litres and gallons, early 1980s

Texaco 3.jpg

Who remembers Green Shield Stamps? No prices shown, but quadruple stamps, a full tank would have given you a strip of stamps about a yard long. :frowning:

gingerfold:
Who remembers Green Shield Stamps? No prices shown, but quadruple stamps, a full tank would have given you a strip of stamps about a yard long. :frowning:

I used to get plenty of them with the combination of a long commute to work every day and a heavy right foot and the thirsty 2.5 Triumph.The Green Shield shop was in Kingston which then became Argos.My local garage was also a Fina operation ( now an ugly block of flats ) that looked like that one but also with a workshop with a vehicle lift at the side.Until they stopped selling 5 star which was still available at Jack Brabham’s garage a bit further up the road so went there to fill up instead but from memory no Green Shield stamps there.

Hiya,
There won’t be many on here who can remember a group of filling stations
that sprang up by the name of (and the spelling won’t be correct) but here
goes Supercordimagiori, they sold surplus stocks of the Big Boys production
at quite a decent discount, There was one opened not too far from me and
I filled up in there all the time, when talking to a group of fellow petrol
heads in my then local and mentioned what a canny saving the petrol was
and I was using it all the time, one twonk piped up it won’t last long what
will you do then ? I told him I’ll have to return to using the “Big Boys” but I’ll
not be happy about it, and true they didn’t reign very long.
thanks harry, long retired.

harry_gill:
Hiya,
will you do then ? I told him I’ll have to return to using the “Big Boys” but I’ll

Also known as AGIP, Harry

bc855e901fde68f91081bbc4aba3d28f--signage-italia.jpg

664eab376c4ef45c74e3ff12ea8ebe35--work-uniforms-grid-girls.jpg

It’s amazing where a photo of an AEC takes us… :astonished: :astonished:

Hi, when I started at Mack’s hauliers as a journey trailer mate at the age of 16 we had some petrol AEC mammoths with the autovac in front of the mates seat. Later I was put regular on a Scammel with a Mack engine and that cab was like an icebox.

gingerfold:

harry_gill:
Hiya,

Also known as AGIP, Harry

Hiya,
Thanks Gingerfold now back to my favourite subject A E Cs, I forgot
where I was at for the moment age related I guess.

gingerfold:

harry_gill:

Quite right and at risk of some tread drift, regarding the cheap price of fuel, how about a snack to go with it in 1974 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Click picture to view full size and get your order in quick :smiley: .

Egg Mayonnaise & cress with a bar six & a Cadburys Snack, Please…

I’ll take a couple of chocolate eclairs please

newmercman:
I’ll take a couple of chocolate eclairs please

Roast beef and an apple pie please John !1

" I’ll take one of each please"
“yes I know I’m a fat b astard…but thank you for reminding me” :smiley: