XF105

i got to have a good look around a brand new DAF XF 105 super space cab this week, unfortunately i did not have my camera with me.

it’s very nice with the almost flat floor and because it was auto it didn’t have the gear stick - just a heater control type dial on the dashboard and an additional stalk on the steering column which i was told is for manual operations of the gearbox.

the spotlights in the roof look good, twins built into a shielded glass or perspex outer casing and they have got rid of that stupid tinted glass panel from over the cupboards.
adblue guage on the dash clocks.
big fridge freezer under the bunk and an additional storage bin at the side both of which are very deep and come with dividers to help break up the emense space available, perhaps the additional storage bin should have been 2 draws instead as deep holes tend to fill up from the bottom and you end up having to turn everything out to get the first item you ever put in etc.

the lower bunk is a fairly wide bunk, much similar to the old xf and better than the scania as it’s all ready to use so you don’t have to start putting it together like an airfix kit. the top bunk is also quite big and the ladder to get into is attached in a folded position by a double runner under the bunk, it can be slid along to either side of the bunk and the rungs are much wider than the older xf meaning you should be able to climb into it without shoes on your feet for protection. the thing i really liked was the top bunk release, it’s a bar with the webbing that holds the bed attached, the bar fits into a housing so all you do is pull the bar down then towrd you to release it from the housing then simply move it up and the bunk comes down, the bar fits against a stopper at the top and the bunk is then flat for sleeping, purpose of.

the top cupboards at the front don’t seem to have changed and the dash layout seems very similar if not the same as the old xf with the exception of the ad blue guage.

nice little pockets/bins around the sides of the cabin interior, you can fit the curtains in etc and some nick nacks.

from my 15 minute tour i found the following to be wrong (minor niggles really).

1. like scania have done with the r series - daf have dictated where a driver sleeps at night, bottom bunk with head behind drivers seat (rhd model).
    this is dictated by the fact that there is only one control for the nightheater and lights etc. and this is - behind the drivers seat on the lower bunk only - nice one - so whoever wants to sleep in the top bunk does so knowing that if they need to heat the cab up then they have to get out of bed to do it and in the dark too, or if double manned then whoever sleeps in the lower bunk has access to the controls for both and if they sleep with their head behind the passenger seat then they still have to raise themselves from the lying position to adjust the controls or turn on the lights.

2. the coat hanging pegs, why do truck makers think we always wear short coats and they they will never be wet. the coat pegs (and in most other trucks too) are above the lower bunk with enough hanging space for a bomber jacket, most companies that supply wet gear will give you a coat that goes just below your hips, this type of coat will be hanging on your bed if you use the hooks provided for the purpose of.
    why no just take away a piece of the top bunk, put the pegs up there on one side only and a hard wearing leather or pvc liner that comes down to the lower bunk and behind the end of it, to a small pipe that allows any water to run to an outbound channel.

first impressions though were that it is an excellent cab, really liked the mozzy net for the sunroof (been there a while now i know), the big red night lights (most other makers have gone for small led types), the huge fridge freezer and the top bunk set up - much improved.

excellent review.

cant fault the daf they bloody excellent right down to the cf. im a big fan of the as tronic i thinks it’s great and easy to use.

are you getting one then john.

jessicas dad:
excellent review.

cant fault the daf they bloody excellent right down to the cf. im a big fan of the as tronic i thinks it’s great and easy to use.

are you getting one then john.

no, but i was very impressed by it.
i am presently looking at a career change and wouldn’t object to working for a company operating them, at the moment i would place daf at number 1 possibly sharing with volvo with believe it or not iveco at number 3 and scania in a shared 4th with merc but possibly with the merc coming at a higher level for driver comfort but lower for build quality.

Hope they are at least as good as the old xf.

I have 4 new XF 105 460 being delivered first week of October

Robbies Dad:

Make sure you post some pics, if you can.

Good review on the truck. Ive seen only about 3 or 4 on the road albeit european except for a smart Irish one, called Piggotts Express from Galway, the fridge was painted in the same pearlescent blue, looked the mutts nutts!.

Here she is:

tnn.co.uk/Manufacturers/plon … ge00031543

tnn.co.uk/Manufacturers/plon … ge00048944

Found these looks quite nice

Nice pics! The bottom one looks more like a CF big lid.

johnny:

1. like scania have done with the r series - daf have dictated where a driver sleeps at night, bottom bunk with head behind drivers seat (rhd model)

Nice one johnny, that reminds me of something I must post in the Urban Myths thread. :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

routier baybutts have one and it localish to you

:smiley: Admit it Johnny, they’re sooooooooooooo much better than any Scania heap. You could only find two minor niggles, compare that to a Scania. :wink:

Deben and Carters have got one each aswell.
:smiley:

there the dogs wotsits.

ohterry:
there the dogs wotsits.

Deben and Carters?

theres a yellow 6x2 xf 105 on fowler welch i sat in one at the nec show in march and theyre the dogs danglies its the only truck id swap my 460 globetrotter for apart from an xl globetrotter :laughing: :laughing:

DAFMAD:
:smiley: Admit it Johnny, they’re sooooooooooooo much better than any Scania heap. You could only find two minor niggles, compare that to a Scania. :wink:

no, but i was very impressed by it.
i am presently looking at a career change and wouldn’t object to working for a company operating them, at the moment i would place daf at number 1 possibly sharing with volvo with believe it or not iveco at number 3 and scania in a shared 4th with merc but possibly with the merc coming at a higher level for driver comfort but lower for build quality.

i think this post by me should answer that post by you.

Robbies Dad:

:smiley: Did the XF’s come alright ? :question:

Saw a 56 plate XF105 being towed up the M1 this morning with no signs of accident damage so presumably engine related. :frowning:

Maybe the driver didn’t add enough blue.

routier:
. Ive seen only about 3 or 4 on the road albeit european except for a smart Irish one, called Piggotts Express from Galway, the fridge was painted in the same pearlescent blue, looked the mutts nutts!.

Here she is:

…anyone understand Dutch? Looks like the previous Piggotts suffered a bad end…

truckweb.be/interactief/foru … 07cb75a5f8

TC

We’ve got one on demo this week,a 510.Might be getting a shot of it tomorrow.If I do,will let you know what its like.Going up to Wick and Thurso,so should be a good test route.

Saw on or two of these around…wondered what the ■■■■ it was at first… :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

They look the absolute nutts…No doubt it’ll be a while before i get my hands on one of them…dirty n’ grubby by that point…

What is that box on top of the roof though■■?

Johnny…notice u didn’t mention MANs’…in your list… :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: