Worst time ever to attempt joining the haulage industry?

It’s 2 months past now since I passed my class 1 having got my class 2 just a month before that and still no work, despite being registered with 3 agencies!

My inability to provide employer references has hindered my chances with 1 of the 3 agencies but it remains my goal to keep my current employer in the dark as to my intention to gain full time employment driving trucks.

I’ve even offered to take holidays midweek to get the chance of some weekday driving, including training but still no work offers.

I’m hoping to register with agency number four, later this week and I’m hopeful they might have something for a rookie just looking for a break.

Seems to me there’s a surplus of experienced drivers out there taking on the work that might have come my way had there not been loads of experienced drivers getting laid off due to the recession.

I always new it would be difficult getting a foothold driving trucks but the current scenario with so many drivers out of work makes a rookies chances doubly difficult.

With hindsight I would have chanelled the money spent on my licences into other training but it’s easy to reach that conclusion now.

Will things improve…I can only live in hope!

If the poll had said - is this a good time for joining this industry - I would have voted no

not a bad career choice but a bad time to be going into it, yes it is!

love the driving but the uncertainty is a killer for a lot of folk.

for thos in full time employment-steer clear if you can, just in case!!!

Giblsa:
not a bad career choice but a bad time to be going into it, yes it is!

love the driving but the uncertainty is a killer for a lot of folk.

for thos in full time employment-steer clear if you can, just in case!!!

What he said. Spot on.

Times are bad and I got in just before the current hiccup within the economic climate.

It’s affecting anyone in honest jobs, 1 father in law & 2 brother in laws & their gangs (ground workers), next door neighbour (single dad of 2) and his brother(plasterers), best mate and his 2 employees (sparkys), mate (carpet fitter) all without any work atm, and thats just the peeps I know.

All I can suggest is don’t turn down any work, even on vans if it comes your way and register with loads of agencies, I had 5 at one time, it was easier to turn down work than to be sat on my arse not earning. And keep knocking on doors, going round to see a TM is always better than email, telephone or returning application forms, you may get lucky.

Driving LGV’s. Currently the worst career choice ever?

I hope not. :cry: :cry:

I think agencies will probably give preference to people who are always available rather then those just available for a day or two now and again, so the way I see it is that a new driver without experience who only wants the odd days work is likely to be at the end of a long list unless he/she gets very lucky :wink:

And no I don’t think driving is currently the worst career choice, at the moment that probably belongs to the chancellor of the exchequer :grimacing:

Not the worse career… but close. :open_mouth:

Currently get job’s thru agency’s but have told them all , i will take almost anything offered. early’s, lates, nights, short notice jobs, anything from white van to ‘c’ for me. had 5 days out of 10 for work.

Regards
Paul