Disillusioned and Despondent

Well, despite the fact that I enjoy whatever actual DRIVING experience I have had, I’m getting to the point where I am just becoming disillusioned completely, and would welcome any advice to give me a kick-start.

I am registered with 2 agencies, 1 has never given me anything in over 2 months, the other gives me 1 or 2 jobs a week if I’m lucky, and even then I think they are taking the ■■■■ half the time as it seems to be either Bin Lorries or Drain Cleaning outfits, with only the occasional trunking work or m/drop, and so I spend the time when I’m NOT working constantly signing on and signing off again at the Job Centre (I still need a stamp paid if I dont have work), which is a major pain in the ■■■. I have applied for over 20 full-time jobs since I passed my Class 2, and got nowhere, and all I keep thinking is, where are the 80,000 truck-driving vacancies that I constantly heard about from different sources while I was training■■? I have also phoned every haulage company in my area, to no avail.

I’m really starting to think that I have wasted my time with all this, I seem to be no further forward than when I started, sorry for the rant, but if any more seasoned drivers out there have any advice, it will be gratefully received!!!

Cheers

Steve

I would sign up with more agencies. Also get a CV made up and actually go down to these place’s and show your face. Something is bound to turn up sooner or later what with Christmas around the corner. It does take time and good luck and don’t give up!!

Sorry to say it mate but if driving is your desire then go for the Class 1. In my albeit limited experience ther is a lot more Class 1 work than anything else. I know it is expensive but you can recover your outlay in about a month. All the best

Steve
I know how you feel mate, I felt the same about 2 weeks ago.
I work 4 days on 4 days off & do the LGV driving on my days off.
I too keep getting the bins, 7.5tonne & class 2 multi drops. Some of the muppets who load the trucks & do the route planning for you are just ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ how i feel about them & the instructions where to deliver was getting me down ie woolerton behind the pub up the path over the bridge behind some bunglows & the workshop is there.
Thats why i took the opertunity to take the Rough Terrain Telescopic forklift course, when i get the licence through the post hoping this will give me more variety of work from the agency. i am considering to get my counterbalance & reach licence as well.

Dr Keys:

I am registered with 2 agencies, 1 has never given me anything in over 2 months, the other gives me 1 or 2 jobs a week if I’m lucky, and even then I think they are taking the [zb] half the time as it seems to be either Bin Lorries or Drain Cleaning outfits, …
I’m really starting to think that I have wasted my time with all this, I seem to be no further forward than when I started, sorry for the rant, but if any more seasoned drivers out there have any advice, it will be gratefully received!!!

Steve, you could try Labourforce UK (Based in Kikrby Industrial estate, or Knowsley Industrial Park if you’re posh!), they ain’t the best payers but they do have work and you will get experience. They have a vacancy now
labourforceuk.com/job.php?vacancy=40

They also send drivers (class 2) into Langdons (Knowsley) doing foodstuff deliveries to the different Railway Stations across the North of England and Sheffield Insulations (near you on the Industrial estate) doing multi drop to different building projects/sites. Let me know who you have signed up with and i’ll try think of some other avenues for you.

Thanks for that guys, guess I’m just having a bad week or summat :open_mouth:

Don, Im ahead of you there, am doing Class 1 at the mo, should have test early December (and pass too I hope!!!)

Cheers

Steve

Mike, just seen your post, thanks for that, will explore those avenues too, much appreciated!!

Steve

Steve as the people before have posted,get with a few more

agencys and you will get more work as said christmass is

just round the corner, as for the tip with the CV that is one

great idea,so get pen to paper or fingers to the PC computor

keyboard, all the best,

Steve,

Firstly it seems like the great driver shortage thing is a myth, there are not hundreds of jobs in every town but if you persevere then you should be able to turn something up.

Although you haven’t got years of experience behind you, I gather you have done enough to be confident and are willing to give most things a go.

When I got laid off a little while ago, I was sure my only option was agency as I am away all of December and felt positive that no one would employ me for 6 weeks and give me a month off. However being available for November gave me an idea, I decided to trawl round some smaller companies directly on the off chance of a driver leaving or being off sick for a couple of weeks, the large companies will go straight to an agency but I figured smaller companies might employ me direct as it would be a lot cheaper. I printed up some cards and laminated them and dropped in on about 20 places that were possibles. I had a few warm leads, one of which resulted in a full time job for a scrap merchant doing scrap metal skips and the job is there in January. I had a call last week from a plant hire company who had kept my card and wondered if I was available for a couple of weeks.

It might be worth a try, I found that even the people who definately had nothing often gave me suggestions for other people.

Good Luck…

Steve,

As per other comments - try and register with more agys.

What area are you in?

I passed class 2 about 6 mts ago and can (normally!) get work when it suits - I’m registered with 2 agys. I would say, ‘badger’ them daily until they’ll give you runs just to get you off their backs!!!

I’m in the midlands and work seems to be plentiful (he says, touching wood!!!).

8WHEELS…
The idea of printing your own cards is something I’ve thought of and ‘going it alone’ as a ‘self employed’ driver. Agys can charge a firm a double what I’m being paid - so why don’t more people do it? There must be a catch somewhere?

I guess if an agys knows what your doing they won’t touch you with a bargepole - but then again… who are dares rodney■■?

Cheers…

just where you are is mainly a class one area the best thing to do round burscough/ tarleton is to actually go to the places and show your face.

mick griffths run some ridgids as does baxters produce. most of the produce companies will run ridgids aswell for local deliveries

Once again, thanks guys, all comments/advice very helpful and gratefully received!!!

Alix, yeah I do have 1 or 2 contacts around Tarleton/Hesketh Bank (which I have had long before doing HGV), and they seem to feel the same, largely a class 1 domain really tho I may pick smthg up on rigid, still hopefully wont be too long before I get the class 1 now (!)

Steve

I think Half the post on the Newbie forums roughly follow the same subject. Getting the first job is tough.

Keep phoning, Go round to haulage companies large and small, then do it again.
Don’t let them forget you. One day you’ll be in the right place and the right time, get the first job under you belt and then the rest will follow. :wink:

P.S. When I got my licence I only wanted part-time work. It took me a year to get the first job, but then they found work for me every weekend.

steve mate dont give up something will come up I like your self applied to alot of companys i think about 40 in all and not 1 would take me on because of my age 19 at the time. they all said theyd keep my details and as soon as i turned 21 the phone began to ring from these companys again. Alot of them were removal companys and now im happily gettin experiance in Class 2 rigids doing removals but am changing company soon to get class 1 experiance. Something will come up and you will get a break. Best of luck mate and keep us informed

I mentioned what I was up to the agencies, the way I saw it was that if they wanted me they’d have to get in quick.

On my first day off work, I hit several firms with the cards and one agency and did the same on day 2. Day3 & 4 was agency day 5 off, Day 6 agency + offer from other agency. Day 7 Interview, Day 8 Full time job.

Now I’ll be the first to admit I didn’t expect great things, but it gave me something to get up for and cost nothing but a bit of petrol. You might just walk in somewhere at the right time and place and get lucky. Once you are in a full time job it is much easier to switch to another.

just a thought here im sure its been posted before .when you go cold calling asking for work at these haulage companies have a bag already packed in the boot of your car .with maps etc etc so you could go at very short notice they may need someone there and then.and you dont have to waste anytime going home to get changed etc assuming you can start straight away