Is it me, or is it hard work getting a foot in the door

Iv’e driven Class 2 for 18 years and passed my Class 1 in the first week of January.

I work Monday to Friday, and signed with a couple of agencies to do a bit of work on a weekend. Mainly to get a bit of experience. Not a sniff. :cry: I know since Xmas its probably gone a bit quiet. I’m also sure that once Ive got the first assignment under my belt, then the work’ll come rolling in :wink: Gotta be optimistic havent I.

Got an interview tomorrow plus an assessment, but havent been in a “bendy” :slight_smile: truck since I passed my test.

It was nice to read goofballs posts regarding finding work, but aint it bloody frustrating, trying to get that initial break.

Right! I’ll shuddup now!

You just have to keep trying, after i passed my test last august, i approached loads of places, phoned agencys etc etc and i was only turned down by one company, and that was wincanton, and now im employed full time by them, i ended up working on one of there contracts for a contractor via agecny, and then taken on direct :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Anyway, you have hit the nail on the head, it is the worst time of year to be asking for work from agency, there may be a few about that could offer you bits and bobs but not much, they tend to keep there regulars busy this time of year. That should all change by the end of the month and into march tho, it will pick up again.
so just keep trying and you will get there.

Any chance of you being able to do any weekdays, I think you might find agencies have a fair few experienced drivers wanting weekend “overtime”

Hi DrDeo and welcome to TruckNet UK.

Its a slack time right now for agencies but there will come a time when the work picks up. Wulf88 suggested week day work but in my experience there is a greater demand for agency staff ot weekends when companies own people want the time with their families or have used most of the hours available to them. In my own depot last weekend we had 59 of our own full time drivers drivers, 5 Saturday drivers (emplpoyed direct) and 46 agency drivers.

I was not sure from your post if you use the class 2 during the week? If so are there opportunities to move into class 1 with your full time employer?

Yeah it’s gotta be said it is a slack time for agencies (Jan & Feb), I’m not wanting to disagree with Wiretwister, it’s his experience from his current employment, I am now driving a class 1 fridge for Wincanton and it’s gotta be said it’s exactly what I’m seeing now. BUT, for 2 years up to 8 months ago I was working full time for an agency, the agency would give preference to their full time drivers for weekend work (and the much better pay), they also had a lot of of experienced drivers with weekday driving jobs wanting weekend work at agency rates!

Possibly a stupid question but would you consider working full time for an agency and doing both class 1 and 2 untill you get some experience on artics.

Thanks for the replies all. Very much appreciated.

In answer to some of your questions. I do use my Class 2, Monday to Friday.

Unfortunately I work in the Waste Industry and the only Class 1 work is Ejector Trailer Bulking which has always been subbed out. (No, I can’t get in there either).

Its not possible to do any weekday work. Although I’d be happy to work full time for an agency, I need to be sure they can keep the work rolling in. (mortgages eh! :unamused: )

The money’s not too bad where I am now. Its just that now I have my Class 1, I want to use it.

Reckon I’ll just wait for a month, then became a right royal pain in the arse to these agencies till they give me work.

I had an interview Wednesday, but I had a bloody awful assessment drive. Tacho knowledge and interview went well, but my artic inexperience really showed. I was unsuccessful there. :cry:

I’m confident that if I get a couple of weekends work, then that won’t happen again. “Chin up and all that” :slight_smile:

Thanks again for the replies. Progress Report to Follow

I find it harder getting my foot out of the door 3 times now i’ve handed my notice in and twice i’ve been talked into staying and at the moment im working my notice and the boss is already trying to get me to stay.

simon

believe me i am still having problems dear sir…in fact i have approached my old employer in the nhs to ask for my old job back.

SimonRS2K:
I find it harder getting my foot out of the door 3 times now i’ve handed my notice in and twice i’ve been talked into staying and at the moment im working my notice and the boss is already trying to get me to stay.

simon

Yeah, strange that, I`ve told Richard to stick it three times now but somehow he never seems to understand! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Vince

goofball:
believe me i am still having problems dear sir…in fact i have approached my old employer in the nhs to ask for my old job back.

sorry to hear that goofball. :frowning:

:neutral_face: Lets hope we both have better luck in March!

I, like you, had plenty of experience of class2 driving and wanted to move up to the bendy wagons. As it happens I am just home from my 1st day driving an artic in 9 years (since passing my test). To be honest, it wasn’t as traumatic as I thought it was going to be. So I would suggest doing what I did.

1. Write a CV, putting “HGV driver” as your job title wherever you have worked previously. Send it off/hand it in to as many companys as you can think of that you might like to work for. Or apply for all the artic jobs you can find, regardless of the experience they ask for.

2. If you get an interview, don’t say you don’t have experience, and they may not even ask (I wasn’t asked). If they do ask, say you have been driving rigids for the last few years and are a bit rusty, but you’re sure it will not be a problem getting back into it. This excuses your dodgy reversing etc. That way you’re not lying, you’re just not disclosing the whole truth.

3. Keep your fingers crossed.

Worked for me. Took me 4 weeks and 3 interviews to get in there.

Good luck!!

Your right, this time of year it is quite, espc with the agencies.
I,ve been a class one driver for 13 years, mostly on the agencies.
The last three weeks i couldn’t get work for love or money, then last week, I’m turning so much work down, its coming in by the skip load.
Work will come in, but sometimes you have to be a bit patient.

Bloody 'ell.

Ive only gone and done it! Got myself a job :slight_smile:
Got chatting to a chap the other day after stopping for a break.
To cut a long story short. Got an offer of a job, and did my first day today.
Everything went great. :slight_smile:

Its been a long time since Iv’e looked forward to a Monday morning.

Well done Matey!

Vince

Well done mate, I bet you won’t want to go back to rigids again :slight_smile:

DrDeo:
Bloody 'ell.

Ive only gone and done it! Got myself a job :slight_smile:
Got chatting to a chap the other day after stopping for a break.
To cut a long story short. Got an offer of a job, and did my first day today.
Everything went great. :slight_smile:

DrDeo:

Me too! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Vince

wulf88:
Well done mate, I bet you won’t want to go back to rigids again :slight_smile:

U got that right. Just finished my first week. Harder work than I was doing, but absolutely brilliant. Only took an hour to get used to the box. As for reversing; by the end of the second day I was backing it into the bay in one hit. Surprising how quick you can pick it up.

Still, I’m not showing off at the moment. Saving the blindside reversing and backing on to weighbridges till Ive got a few more hours under my belt.

Vince:
Me too! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

:laughing: