Agency work - Starting out

I didn’t enter this into the newbi forum as I wanted answers off some experienced hairy arsed truckers :smiley:

So im in the process of getting my licences at the moment. Ive been in the industry all my working life but have never done the tests. Anyway I presume unless im very lucky the only chance I have to get a job driving being a noob will be through a agency.

I expect to get given ■■■■ jobs, but what should I expect at first in terms of how regular work will be ?

Obviously nothing is set in stone but are we talking I could be working a steady 5 / 6 days every week or more 5 days one week 1 day the next sort of thing ? I presume the latter.

If what I presume is true do you think id have any advantage just driving at a weekend to start off with before calling it a day with the job I do now ?

Hiya
Dont give up your present job when u get your licence you don’t want to leave a permanent role to have 1day agency work a week been there done that ooops.
Weekend work is a good time to start most companies struggle at weekends poundland do always agency drivers in, was 6 in this morning.

Where about are you based?

Jeff.

There are quite a few companies who would take on new drivers as it happens.
Usually you would be sent out with an experienced driver for a couple of weeks to get used to the ropes, and it does depend on where you live of course as to weather or not there are any companies around taking on new drivers.

Just thought I’d let you know you don’t have to go agency.

Good luck though.

You dont have to go agency if you dont want to but as said dont give up a full time job for agency

There are some companies that will take on newbies I found a few in my area not easy being female as some still dont take on although more do now

Oh btw Im not a hairy arsed lorry driver :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Im in Cheshire.

Im pretty sure Coopers take on new drivers which is pretty close to me but they have been advertising a lot lately so presume they wont have any vacancies at the moment.

That’s pretty much what I was expecting from agency work - I deffo wont be giving up my job then.

Thanks for the advice :smiley:

animal:

Im calling a custard test :laughing: :grimacing: :laughing:

Theshrew:

animal:

The custard test like on pistonheads?

Don’t want to hijack the thread, but I am in the same position, got my licenses, but in a dead end full time job, not being allowed to move on internally, and whilst I don’t want to go back on agency, it looks like my only choice at the minute.

Theshrew:

animal:

What’s your name on PH then? :grimacing:

Theshrew:

animal:

Custard?

Left hand down!:

Theshrew:

animal:

What’s your name on PH then? :grimacing:

Same as here.

Think id slurped a bit to much falling over water last night :blush:

The custard test is when you take a picture of something (so in this case animal taking a selfish I suppose) you have to have a packet of custard in the shot to prove it’s genuine.

It’s from pistonheads to test people that say they own a 500k car and you get them to take a picture of said car with a packet of custard in view. Instead of them posting a generic Google image.

mrginge:
The custard test is when you take a picture of something (so in this case animal taking a selfish I suppose) you have to have a packet of custard in the shot to prove it’s genuine.

It’s from pistonheads to test people that say they own a 500k car and you get them to take a picture of said car with a packet of custard in view. Instead of them posting a generic Google image.

So similar to the marmite thing :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Sorry dont do selfies or pic of me although there are some on here of me from a few years ago but us women dont have hairy arses :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

animal:

mrginge:

Sorry dont do selfies or pic of me although there are some on here of me from a few years ago but us women dont have hairy arses :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i bet you do :grimacing: you just can’t see! :laughing: woman :sunglasses:

work out who you want to work for,
then register with there agency.

Register with max 3 agencies
stick to the same shifts
ring THEM a hour or so before you want to work
give them a starting deadline so your not awake for 24 hrs

Text the other agency when you become unavailable
(saves them wasting time ringing you)

confirm the rate and keep tabs on your hours

animal:

mrginge:

:laughing:

hitch:
work out who you want to work for,
then register with there agency.

Register with max 3 agencies
stick to the same shifts
ring THEM a hour or so before you want to work
give them a starting deadline so your not awake for 24 hrs

Text the other agency when you become unavailable
(saves them wasting time ringing you)

confirm the rate and keep tabs on your hours

Out of interest why do you say a max of 3 agencies ?

more than 3 become a pain to manage! 4-5-6 all keep ringing or you have to text/phone them to say unavailable etc. or even worse 6 x filling in forms!

you can go direct perm as a newbie its becoming more acceptable now drivers are in shortage, but as stated find out which agencies do what and go for what you want to work for.

good luck

Yep a manageable number

Try freight first in runcorn
■■■■ pay but desperate for class 2 drivers. You’ll probably get adr out of em too. It will get you some sorely needed experience. Not really multi dropping either, plenty of UK wide driving to boot.