Anyone else have Problems?

Hi all.

I Tried talking to agencies for some work, 2 Just told me “no work sorry”, without taking Name and number or putting me on the books. All the others said “No work! Everyone will be asking for experience if any work is available. If I was you I would try getting full time with someone”.

Now am I mistaken that Agencies normally recruit newbies to GAIN experience, as most employers now ask for it anyway■■? :unamused:

So if Agency wont take me, what hope have I got? Has anyone else had experiences like this with agencies? :angry:

Gareth

Hi. You’re not on your own. This topic comes up quite often and several solutions are generally offered. It’s along the lines of perseverance, being prepared for knock backs, knocking on doors (literally) being ready to take anything, anytime to get a start.

There are certain types of operator that tend to take new drivers (clearly there are exceptions). These are skip wagon and tipper operators. It’s dirty work but it’s experience.

Get your class one (CE) and you stand a chance on night trunks - a lot more money for a lot less work.

Ironically, once you’ve got a job, it’s a lot easier to get another.

As I said, persevere. Good luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Pete.

I am persistant and am going to knock on every door that has a class C Truck in the yard.

The only thing that ■■■■■■ me off is that they advertise these positions for NEW Starters or JUST out of Training, when you phone or go they tell you different. I would prefer Full time with an employer direct but I was just thinking experience.

I’m used to knockbacks in the work search and thats not an issue personally, as times are hard, I will be prepared to take anything, from the best to the dirtiest job if it gets me experience, also not toooo concerned about high pay as long as it covers bills etc… as experience is more important at this moment in time. (Course I would love the £££££, if offered :smiley:)

And hopefully I will be getting my C+E in March/April :smiley:

Gareth

Hi Gareth

Sounds as if I’ve annoyed you. You’re doing all the right stuff and seem to have the right attitude. So you’ll get there. Good luck with the search, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Hi Gareth

Sounds as if I’ve annoyed you. You’re doing all the right stuff and seem to have the right attitude. So you’ll get there. Good luck with the search, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

No Sorry Pete.

You havn’t annoyed me, very thankful for your help actually :smiley:. Just the agencies that have annoyed me, as they are sooo unhelpful. (Sorry if it came across that I was having a go at you.)

Starting to calm now tho hehe :wink:

HI Mate

Prev posts right just gotta have broad shoulders and not take knockbacks personally , what area u in someone on here might know of agency or company that may give you a shot

good luck on the job search

Jen x

Jennie:
HI Mate

Prev posts right just gotta have broad shoulders and not take knockbacks personally , what area u in someone on here might know of agency or company that may give you a shot

Jen x

Are you still on with dbc?

Any luck finding CE work?

I contacted Driver Hire about 3 years ago with an idea of doing a couple of days here and there. Not a sausage. I have never worked for an agency or said I never would.

Last week I got a call out the blue to see if I was still looking for work. It is a good job I wasn’t desperate :stuck_out_tongue:

Jennie:
HI Mate

Jen x

Well I’m looking staffordshire/Cheshire area. Been out for a drive (Industrial estates, etc) to see which local companies we have, so I can start knocking on some doors or E-Mailing them.

Gazza7682:
I Tried talking to agencies for some work, 2 Just told me “no work sorry”, without taking Name and number or putting me on the books. All the others said “No work! Everyone will be asking for experience if any work is available. If I was you I would try getting full time with someone”.

Sounds reasonable for agencies at this time of year, they can’t give you work they haven’t got and at this time of year why would they bother with inexperienced rivers :wink:

Gazza7682:
Now am I mistaken that Agencies normally recruit newbies to GAIN experience, as most employers now ask for it anyway■■? :unamused:

Mate whoever told you that was feeding you a load of ■■■■■■■■, agencies recruit people so they can make money and no other reason.

Gazza7682:
So if Agency wont take me, what hope have I got? Has anyone else had experiences like this with agencies?

When the work picks up later in the year you will find it easier to get work from the agencies, it’s well known that when there’s little work around agencies will tell you the companies require experience, when they need drivers they’ll take anyone who holds a licences of some description :wink:

Gazza7682:

Jennie:
HI Mate

Jen x

Well I’m looking staffordshire/Cheshire area. Been out for a drive (Industrial estates, etc) to see which local companies we have, so I can start knocking on some doors or E-Mailing them.

Knocking on doors gives a better impression (so long as you can get past the monkey on the reception desk)

Gazza7682:

That’s probably the quickest way to get knocked back, it’s too easy to bin an email :wink:

It’s the quietest time of year in a slowed-down economic period but things can’t get much worse can they?

Let’s hope not. No work all last week at all

tachograph:

Gazza7682:

Sounds reasonable for agencies at this time of year, they can’t give you work they haven’t got and at this time of year why would they bother with inexperienced rivers :wink:

Gazza7682:

Mate whoever told you that was feeding you a load of ■■■■■■■■, agencies recruit people so they can make money and no other reason.

Gazza7682:
So if Agency wont take me, what hope have I got? Has anyone else had experiences like this with agencies?

When the work picks up later in the year you will find it easier to get work from the agencies, it’s well known that when there’s little work around agencies will tell you the companies require experience, when they need drivers they’ll take anyone who holds a licences of some description :wink:

No one told me this. But 2 of the agencies who used inexperience to knock me back advertise it big. :confused:

Also thanks for the advice, will go knocking then. :smiley:

Gazza7682:
But 2 of the agencies who used inexperience to knock me back advertise it big. :confused:

Sorry to hear that but if you go back when the work picks up a bit you may get a different answer :wink:

tachograph:

Gazza7682:
But 2 of the agencies who used inexperience to knock me back advertise it big. :confused:

Sorry to hear that but if you go back when the work picks up a bit you may get a different answer :wink:

Yep thats true.

As there are so many drivers looking for work now agency can pick & choice & most now want at least 6mth checkable experience sorry to say this is how it is at the minute

Jan/Feb are always the quietest mth of the year poss concentrate on getting CE & making sure that your CV is good etc

Although you can still keep looking good luck I took van work last year as that was the best on offer at the time & we have been very quiet the last couple weeks but normal for this time of year

Its January! There is hee haw work for experienced class 1 & 2 drivers let alone a newbie class 2, lower class, not a ‘real’ trucker.

Just kidding, it’s just the time of year no agencies will want to talk.

Snudger:
It’s the quietest time of year in a slowed-down economic period but things can’t get much worse can they?

Personally I think it will be worse in a year’s time than it is now, unemployment has gone from 1.61 million in December 2007 to 2.63 million in December 2011 and I personally think it will be around 3 million this time next year. I don’t think we will come out of recession (n.b. recession on the street, not technical recession) until 2014-2015.