Wannabe getting cold feet!

hi to all here at trucknet.
just wanted to quickly share my thoughts on my situation.
i am a qualified carpenter and have struggled since being self employed to get regular work.
private work that i thought would fill any gaps just has not materialised, for one reason or another.
my mrs has returned to her full time job after a year off with our new baby girl.
she has a very good job, holidays and sick pay etc and has always earned more than i have over any one year carrying out carpentry work.
she would dearly love to stay at home and take care of our daughter which would require her to leave her job.

i have thought long and hard about how i can bring home enough money every week for this to be possible and im looking at lgv work.luckily for me the area i live in is a haven for factory and field work, this has created alot of opportunity for driving work.

i am currently revising for the theory and hazard perception tests, and i am really enjoying learning about it.

the main worry for me is if im to earn decent money i will have to come to terms with the idea of starting at the bottom i understand this…
but i will not be able to do this full time in order to gain experience and to find better pay rates etc.

so im thinking it best to carry on in the week in carpentry and find some weekend work driving.

i dont know what you guys think about this, i really am unsure at the moment, ive got my medical booked in end of this month and hope to take the theory and hazard perception tests next month.

so pleased i found this forum, one of the best ones ive joined and the only one for lorry drivers. :slight_smile:

many thanks to you all for taking the time to read my post cheers

From other posts I have read from other newbies it seems that getting a few shifts here and there is a struggle for many for the first few months or even a year or so as agency work is all they can get

Then again - a few have struck lucky on getting regular jobs

There are still more drivers than jobs and many experienced drivers out of work

hey ROG thanks for the reply,
yeah thats pretty much what i thought, i admit a couple of weeks of research on the reality of lorry driving does knock ya motives a bit. theres plenty of haulage firms here in spalding and im hopeful ill find some weekend work and some odd days in the week when i can get it, agencies to me are my bread and butter, most my work i find through them and ive seen a few that cover transportation work too.
i really dont want to back off now as im kind of hooked on it all and im enjoying learning about the industry.

again many thanks

I would have thought that if you carry on with the carpentry and maybe get a couple of days driving through the agencies you could build up the experience with the driving and also the contacts and maybe at the same time get some extra carpentry work as well, eggs and baskets and not putting them all in the same one!!! :smiley:

thanks Night Spirit,
a couple of weeks ago in my worldly wisdom thought that driving full time inc any overtime would see me ok, but its not gunna be that easy, nothing is thats worth any effort. yes summing up i certainly like the idea of another feather in my cap and broaden my options, im not taking the lorry driving to casually now i know theres some time to serve before we become established which will be more of a trial if only driving part time.
many thanks for your reply, and yes it will expose me to more people who may want any carpentry done, my sinical side wanders if the examiner will be one lol.
many thanks again
mick

ive been out of work for a few years as i was ill and had to learn to walk again the wife works part time and we get help off the gov but i passed my class 2 in december and im off back to work thing is im in same boat im probably going to be worse off back at work as ridiculous as it seems agency work was what i wasnt looking forward to a day here a day there but ive been lucky enough to get straight on with a firm and in to a full time job just look round there is work out there for us new drivers :smiley:

hi bigtanker198
thanks for your reply,
sounds like you have done well mate, and wish you all the success that comes your way. hats off to ya.
cold feet creep in in the small hours wondering about this and that it keeps me awake sometimes.
but im happy to say each time i pick up my theory book i feel back in the zone again and all falls into place as i am enjoying learning about being a lorry driver.
im taking things one step at a time, and i know when the day finally comes for my practical training ive broken the back of it.

many thanks
mick

fly636 I’m in the same boat mate. I work in an office job 3 days a week and earn what many do in 5 days but I can’t bear it any longer. Equally just another office job will bring the same problems sooner or later, I need something new.

My theory is next Tuesday and training starts 27th. Doubts are creeping in and at times I think I’ve lost the plot completely. I see drivers here already with skills finding it hard to find work and I wonder how on earth I think I will manage.

The truth is neither of us will know until we try. We could back out now and save the training fees but that won’t solve either of our problems. The reason we set out on this path will still be there.

Once your training is complete you’ll be able to test the work market locally and maybe you will be one of the lucky ones and land something good straight out, and maybe you’ll need to do a combination of work until you find what works for you. No matter what you’ll have learnt a new skill (well lots actually)and you’ll have more to offer any employer.

No one can say what the right choice is for you. You’re obviously enjoying learning the craft (as am I). The industry noticeably picks up in the second quarter which isn’t far away now.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

If you mention your location then maybe someone can offer some suggestion as to who in your area may be worth trying or avoiding.

You may not like this but…

If you want to be a driver then go for it. But if your main motive is to earn enough to support your family then I think your carpentry skills are probably more capable of earning than driving, especially as you haven’t a licence as yet…

There is no easy answer, but, if I were you, I’d follow the ‘bit of both’ route. It works, as I can earn the same in a week as a driver doing max hours and I don’t do more than about 25/30 hours per week. I’d think you could do the same mixing joinery and driving. Driving work will not be easy to find as a newbie at this time of year, as it’s quietish in most areas.

Good luck with your decision. Plenty of help on here, just ask! :sunglasses:

1. well done for getting off said arse and doing
  2. good luck with training
  3. You’ll be fine, plenty of work for those who really want it & don’t moan.

I have a mate who is a window cleaner earning about £14 an hour does pretty well new van every 3 years and a merc convertible, he drives Saturday night every week @ £15 an hour, in the winter he drives Fri, Sat & Sun nights, when I asked why he said "years ago I needed stable money now I do it because I enjoy driving and it’s money, I do nights cos the wife watches films)

I personally run my own wagon (a rigid poop tanker) but I drive for an agency occasionally on a Saturday night, just to drive a class 1, I’ve had my licence 27 years and I’m still proud of being able to drive such a large vehicle.

** I agree with others on the 2 occupations

Good luck

There might be plenty of jobs but landing one is a different story. Iv tried one particular company who were advertising local 3 times now over a 3 month period and still no luck. Companies just fob you off with ‘‘yes we have work’’ ‘‘yes we take on new drivers’’ ‘‘just fill in a application form’’… then you hear nothing back. There’s just too many drivers chasing too little work.

The only way is to keep plugging away - join a agency - be prepared to travel.