Hello Again...

Hi,

I haven’t posted for a few months, but nothing much changed, have just got soooooo disillusioned with this, haven’t had any agency work for nearly 4 weeks now, am searching like crazy for a full-time job, just don’t seem to be any, and yet I read again in the sunday papers in Januaury of the 1000’s and 1000’s of driving vacancies that allegedly exist!!

Obviously, I was realistic enough not to expect a job would fall out of the sky as soon as I passed my Class 2, but I really didn’t think I would still be sitting here 6 months later, having got no nearer to finding a job :frowning: Or is it just me, I wonder?

O well, sorry to rant! Hope you are all OK, sorry not to have contributed for a while, but that’s the reason really

Cheers for now

Steve

Doesn’t matter how many vacancies there are getting your first job is a nightmare.
Employers might want drivers, but they also want experienced drivers, not fair, but that’s life.

Have you been round the haulage yards and asked for a job?
If you haven’t do it now and don’t just go round the shiny fleets, but try the back yard hauliers with dirt in the yard and a portacabin office.

If you have done it, do it again, they might remember your face and realise you are interested and have the ability to use a bit of initiative.

When I was looking for my first job I went round some of the local hauliers 3 or 4 times before somebody phoned me up because they wanted a driver for that weekend. Once I’d muddled through the first job ok the work kept coming. :smiley:

Don’t get too down, I’ve heard several drivers just lately saying that work is picking up a little now after Christmas.

I applied for a job early last year, and then got a call out of the blue for an interview. But if no-one has your details, they can’t call you. Even if you have given your details to a firm, be persistent, try again. That way, when they need someone you’ll be the first they think of.

As far as I know, no-one was ever refused a job through being too persistent.

Good luck

If you’ve got a printer and a laminator make some cards up on Word with your name and number, snazz it up a bit and call in personally on some smaller companies who may just be after someone. Be presentable but not oversmart, polite and friendly and chances are they won’t ditch your card. I did this in October and had one call in November after I’d got a job and two calls in January one an offer straight off, the other an invitation to go and have a chat. Went for the chat, left with the job. It cost me pratically nothing more than the time it took but produced three full time offers and a temp job too.

Well good advice there, thanks guys, I will just have to keep trying, I’m certainly not giving up on it anyway, I guess is just easy to get a little low every now and then when things don’t work out!

Sorry to hear you have not found the right job yet Dr Keys
Maybe you should try applying to companies that run a fleet of different vehicles and go for a 7 half ton job. When they see you have a Class 2 on your licence they will be keener to employ you than any other 7 half ton driver - and may upgrade you after a few months
worth a try.
Also, if you apply to agencies for Class 2 work on Class 2 pay and they offer you 7 half ton work you will still get Class 2 pay as that is what you are registered for so that is one good thing.
Good luck