Job Market..

Looking for abit of advice regarding the current state of the haulage industry, especially the jobs side of things…

With the current credit crunch, price of fuel, period of recession looming etc etc, do you think the number of lgv/hgv jobs with will affected? Is there likely to be alot less jobs about?

The reason I ask, is because I am considering giving up my well paid IT career to become a c+e driver. Now I dont want to give my IT career up, just to find that i end up struggling to find a c+e job or end up being laid off from a c+e job.

What do you guys on the the “front line” think?

Is it worth the gamble with the why things are at the moment?

NEWBIE JOBSEARCH EXPERIENCES

Looking in from the sidelines (I only work weekends on the wagons) at the moment if you have a job I would stick with it. By all means if you can afford the training do it but keep your permanent job until the economy picks up a bit. Nearly every week you hear about another company going to the wall and to be honest if you only just pass your test you have to find a company that will give you a C+E job without the hurdle of 2 years experience.

I passed mine in June and have had 5 jobs (by jobs I mean days work) on the agencies doing artic work. One of them was because I was working for the co-op and one of the artic drivers failed to turn up and it was easier to get a class 2 driver that class 1 as I was already there. Plus if you do manage to get a foot in the door with a company on class 1 work then all well and good but if the economic slowdown gets worse and they look at laying drivers off who is going to be the first out the door?

People might have other views on this and I may be wrong but think about it long and hard before you jack your job in!

That my 2p worth

DJ_Trucker:
Looking for abit of advice regarding the current state of the haulage industry, especially the jobs side of things…

With the current credit crunch, price of fuel, period of recession looming etc etc, do you think the number of lgv/hgv jobs with will affected? Is there likely to be alot less jobs about?

The reason I ask, is because I am considering giving up my well paid IT career to become a c+e driver. Now I dont want to give my IT career up, just to find that i end up struggling to find a c+e job or end up being laid off from a c+e job.

What do you guys on the the “front line” think?

Is it worth the gamble with the why things are at the moment?

DON`T BE A FOOL STAY WERE YOU ARE!!!

Stay in your job and save your money.

Jim

Like DJ Trucker, I have also been considering becoming a full time truck driver. My dad (dearly departed) was a driver but he warned me off big style (crap pay, crap conditions, unsociable hours) so I did an engineering apprentiship, and to be fair it has given me a good lifestyle. But the desire is still there to drive.
I have read a number of threads on here about people that just drive at weekends and juding by what I have read this may be the best solution at the moment, as i can keep my well paid 9-5 and indulge in the career I always wanted at the weekends. OK I need to stump up the money for the training and the test but I think this could work for me. Maybe then I might be better prepared to make a decision on wether to take it up full time.
I would welcome any views on this option, are there any pit falls?

idletony:
… are there any pit falls?

Hi idletony, Assuming that you can front the money for the training, I don’t think there are any piftalls as such…

However, there IS a hurdle. It’s the old catch 22 story of experience.
You (generally) can’t get a job without experience, but to gain experience, you need a job.
I’m afraid to say that it’s always been like that in transport.
There are some exceptions as a trawl of the forums will prove. :wink:

:bulb: There is a lot of info and tips if you :arrow_right: CLICK THIS LINK.
:wink: Thanks to ROG for gathering lots of links into the one place. (Above.) :grimacing:

DJ_Trucker:
… find that i end up struggling to find a c+e job or end up being laid off from a c+e job.

Hi DJ_Trucker, I don’t want to put a dampener on your idea; in fact, I think it’s a good idea. :smiley:

In our transport industry, C+E is usually seen as ‘the top of the pile’ as far as being a driver is concerned.
My advice is that you might consider the idea of ‘progression,’ since it’s very unlikely that anybody would trust you with a fully loaded C+E vehicle especially as you’ll have a shiny new LGV licence.

I’d imagine that that principle is something common to most jobs. :wink:

IMHO, the biggest problems that new drivers face are:

1. Driving a loaded commercial vehicle safely.
  2. Securing the load and driving so as to avoid damage to the vehicle and/or load.
  3. Finding their way to the various loading/delivery points within a time seen as ‘reasonable’ by the vehicle owner, whilst having regard to 1&2 above.

It might be that you’d need to start on vans, then go up to 7.5t, then 18t and finally move on to C+E.

The question of whether to take your Cat “C” test and then progress quickly to do your Cat “C+E” test isn’t the same as above IMHO. :wink:

It might pay you to keep those two ideas apart from each other, because there are two schools of thought on the subjects.

You did ask for advice, and I hope I’ve helped. :grimacing:

Thanks dieseldave, both your posts are full of useful information. Like you say, it maybe a case of starting small and working your way up. The company that handles all our haulage requirements also does a lot of weekend work, so I might ask them what the situation is regarding part time work.
Cheers

idletony:
Thanks dieseldave, both your posts are full of useful information. Like you say, it maybe a case of starting small and working your way up. The company that handles all our haulage requirements also does a lot of weekend work, so I might ask them what the situation is regarding part time work.
Cheers

Hi idletony, IMHO that would be a nice easy way into the experience ‘thing.’
Depending upon what type of vehicles they run, it might also be a progression path and a means to kill two birds with one stone. :smiley:

Good luck mate. :grimacing:

Hi idletony

Weekend driving is an option BUT if you are working a Mon to Fri job then it is likely that you will only be able to drive for one shift every other weekend due to the EU driver weekly rest Regs - this may influence your financial decision :exclamation:

You will also have to fill out a seperate tacho chart for each of the days you worked (in your Mon to Fri job) in any week where you came under these regs.
The chart must contain your name, start & finish time for each day.
An EU driver week is Sunday midnight to Sunday midnight.

ROG:
Hi idletony

Weekend driving is an option BUT if you are working a Mon to Fri job then it is likely that you will only be able to drive for one shift every other weekend due to the EU driver weekly rest Regs - this may influence your financial decision :exclamation:

You will also have to fill out a seperate tacho chart for each of the days you worked (in your Mon to Fri job) in any week where you came under these regs.

Hi ROG
I am not up to speed on the drivers hours yet, but can you define what is classed as “one shift” every other weekend please? What would it be in hours?
For your information I currently work a standard 9-5 mon - fri

I say go for it pal your obviously not happy in your current job, im in the same situation as you myself, the money aint dad in driving class 1or 2 its that hurdle of getting experience but this is the same in all field of work not just driving no one would rather hire someone just qualified over a veteran i mean would you? thats what most people use agencies for. i found it hard to start with getting anthing at all mainly due to my akward shift pattern in my regular job tho. but since then i got offered two full time jobs with local firms over the phone and half a dozen interviews,athough not much from the agency as yet but they have promised that i would get work regular if i was open to take anything by full time i mean to start on a trial basis and set on after 13 weeks if all was well. so there is plently work out there esp for drivers with plenty experience.

this is just my experience and many have said this on here a new driver really has to try harder to get on that ladder from there tho only way is up!

goodluck pal

just a quick tip idle tony there is a decent lgv training company near you called atkins you have probably seen it its on the a638 towards bradford. vehicles are a bit old and yard isnt exactly the best but the training was excellent and price was way cheaper than anyehere else in yorkshire. if your serious about it its worth calling to see them see wagons yard etc with you being literally round the corner

ian

idletony:

ROG:
Hi idletony

Hi ROG
I am not up to speed on the drivers hours yet, but can you define what is classed as “one shift” every other weekend please? What would it be in hours?
For your information I currently work a standard 9-5 mon - fri

I’ll do a 2 week repeating simple example…

WEEK 1

M 9-5 ( tacho needed for this day showing name, start & finish time)
T 9-5 ( tacho needed for this day showing name, start & finish time)
W 9-5 ( tacho needed for this day showing name, start & finish time)
F 9-5 ( tacho needed for this day showing name, start & finish time)
S 6am - 9pm = MAX 15 Hour shift - MUST SHOW 9 OFF IN 24
S off
(Had 9 hour reduced break of 36 hours - should be 45 - 9 to make up next weekend)

WEEK 2 (no need for tachos this week)

M 9-5
T 9-5
W 9-5
T 9-5
F 9-5 EDIT - missed this first time thanks Mac
S off
S off
(Easily had min break of 45 hours PLUS the 9 hours that had to be made up from last weekend)

REPEAT the last 2 weeks

I’m NOT the EXPERT on this but I think it gives a simple legal example…

ROG:
I’ll do a 2 week repeating simple example…

WEEK 1

M 9-5 ( tacho needed for this day showing name, start & finish time)
W 9-5 ( tacho needed for this day showing name, start & finish time)
F 9-5 ( tacho needed for this day showing name, start & finish time)
S 6am - 9pm = MAX 15 Hour shift - MUST SHOW 9 OFF IN 24
S off
(Had 9 hour reduced break of 36 hours - should be 45 - 9 to make up next weekend)

WEEK 2 (no need for tachos this week)

M 9-5
T 9-5
W 9-5
T 9-5
S off
S off
(Easily had min break of 45 hours PLUS the 9 hours that had to be made up from last weekend)

REPEAT the last 2 weeks

I’m NOT the EXPERT on this but I think it give a simple legal example…

Missed the Friday shift out on the second week there Rog! :smiley:

dieseldave:
Hi DJ_Trucker, I don’t want to put a dampener on your idea; in fact, I think it’s a good idea. :smiley:

In our transport industry, C+E is usually seen as ‘the top of the pile’ as far as being a driver is concerned.
My advice is that you might consider the idea of ‘progression,’ since it’s very unlikely that anybody would trust you with a fully loaded C+E vehicle especially as you’ll have a shiny new LGV licence.

I’d imagine that that principle is something common to most jobs. :wink:

IMHO, the biggest problems that new drivers face are:

1. Driving a loaded commercial vehicle safely.
  2. Securing the load and driving so as to avoid damage to the vehicle and/or load.
  3. Finding their way to the various loading/delivery points within a time seen as ‘reasonable’ by the vehicle owner, whilst having regard to 1&2 above.

It might be that you’d need to start on vans, then go up to 7.5t, then 18t and finally move on to C+E.

The question of whether to take your Cat “C” test and then progress quickly to do your Cat “C+E” test isn’t the same as above IMHO. :wink:

It might pay you to keep those two ideas apart from each other, because there are two schools of thought on the subjects.

You did ask for advice, and I hope I’ve helped. :grimacing:

Hi dieseldave, thanks for the advice/input. :smiley:

I totally agree with your points. I understand that it’ll be likely that there will need to be progression i.e. van, 7.5t, c+e etc etc. Although saying that, I would love to just go straight to c+e after passing…But I fear that’ll be unlikely due to lack of experience and age (Im only 21).

I’d prefer to do cat C and then jump straight to C+E, but it all comes down to finding a job. I have money to cover both C and C+E tests, so thats not a problem. I dont want to have given up my IT career, and then struggle to find any driving work or end up being stuck with class 2/7.5t/18t driving.

bigcheese:
I say go for it pal your obviously not happy in your current job, im in the same situation as you myself, the money aint dad in driving class 1or 2 its that hurdle of getting experience but this is the same in all field of work not just driving no one would rather hire someone just qualified over a veteran i mean would you? thats what most people use agencies for. i found it hard to start with getting anthing at all mainly due to my akward shift pattern in my regular job tho. but since then i got offered two full time jobs with local firms over the phone and half a dozen interviews,athough not much from the agency as yet but they have promised that i would get work regular if i was open to take anything by full time i mean to start on a trial basis and set on after 13 weeks if all was well. so there is plently work out there esp for drivers with plenty experience.

this is just my experience and many have said this on here a new driver really has to try harder to get on that ladder from there tho only way is up!

goodluck pal

Hi bigcheese, thanks for your input also.

Your dead right, I am not happy in my current job but Im only putting up with it cos im well paid.

It all comes down to driving experience like you and dieseldave say. I cant see many people allowing a newly passed 21 year old out in a truck alone.

Like i said before, Im only really interested in class 1/c+e but I expect that I’ll have to start at the bottom.

I guess Im just going to have to think it over, and take it from there.

Thanks for all your input though, much appreciated!

just to let you know that im only 23 myself and your situation is almost exact to mine i want to go straight to a full time c+e with no going up the ladder ie 7.5, c etc. most companies will take you on straight to c+e the problem for me aint the class size its the full time aspect and most employers wont touch you under 25years old. for example i signed with 3 agencies who all have offered me work class one two and 7.5 ie monday morning which i had to refuse due to my current job. i can totally relate to you as i hate my job and even a decent c+e job on a average 40hour week would stiil probably be a wage drop, but i love the trucking!

just to let you know that i did all my training with atkins which are cheap and i still have to do my class one which is booked and paid for next week wednesday to sunday test monday and if i pass first time ive spent around £2100 but thats with no extra training and no retests

ian

location plays a big part in whether or not you will find yourself in a tractor unit. dumfries is not a place that i would say drivers are in huge demand. the only haulier there that i can name without looking is currie european. before putting any cash into training it might be worth knocking on their door and asking for an opinion. dont bother asking agencies. they will always tell you they can get you working. whether or not they fulfil that promise is a different matter. most of them are political promises ie take it with a pinch of salt cos it isnt gonna happen. chances are a lot of responses would be get your licence in 2 years and come back in 4 years. that way you are over 25 with 2 years experience. unfortunately experience in this industry relates to how long you have had the licence, not how much driving you have actually done

bigcheese:
just a quick tip idle tony there is a decent lgv training company near you called atkins you have probably seen it its on the a638 towards bradford. vehicles are a bit old and yard isnt exactly the best but the training was excellent and price was way cheaper than anyehere else in yorkshire. if your serious about it its worth calling to see them see wagons yard etc with you being literally round the corner

ian

Hi BigCheese, thanks for the info. Do Atkins run the ex Silentnight Scanias with demounts and pod sleepers? What gear boxes are fitted (4 over 4 ?). I am going to start looking round in the new year, like ROG has said I will pay them all a visit before making any decision, but it’s always good to get a personal recomendation.

yes they are mate there the 4 over 4 flick switch, easy to drive to be fair. yeah always pay them a visit to look see prices yard etc, always find out retest cost too some can be extreme !