Working in Norway

Hi

I picked this up as its to do with Norway, which is where I moved to 6 months ago from UK. Now comes the problem, so I have been through immigration and have been given a 5 year temporary residency which I can then apply for perm in 5 years.

Originally I was working for a UK telecoms company but after 14 years of endless stress my business partner did the dirty on me!

So now I need a job and without any formal qualifications finding a job in Norway is near on impossible, so I’ve decided to get into the trucking world as I have always enjoyed driving long distances etc…

I contacted Statens Vegvesen about doing the courses required to get up to Class 1…they informed me that I need to do a CPC but that can only be done in Norwegian, which is a real problem as I don’t speak Norwegian.

I then asked if I could do it in the UK and would it be valid in Norway. They said YES, but I would have to be in the UK for 185 days in the year I take/pass my test…I can’t do that either as I have moved to Norway, so I can’t go back for 6 months…

Anyone got any advice or help as I just want to get started straight away and make some money.

Thanks

p.s. does anyone know if there is a lot of work in Norway for new truckers, assuming I actually find a solution to the above??

As a guess if living in Norway is conditional on working in Norway then probably a move to Sweden would be a better idea.If not then stay in Norway but sort the licence out here and then look for a job in Sweden.Being that I doubt if Sweden has any conditions about transferring a UK licence to Swedish use and there’s probably more work opportunities there than in Norway.While assuming you’re looking for a tramping job the location won’t matter anyway.

Guys I would say Q hutpik he would be in the know . cheers dennis

Carryfast:
As a guess if living in Norway is conditional on working in Norway then probably a move to Sweden would be a better idea.If not then stay in Norway but sort the licence out here and then look for a job in Sweden.Being that I doubt if Sweden has any conditions about transferring a UK licence to Swedish use and there’s probably more work opportunities there than in Norway.While assuming you’re looking for a tramping job the location won’t matter anyway.

So you are thinking that Sweden won’t have an issue with a UK licence and won’t have any issues with me doing the tests in UK?

Is there an equivalent in Sweden as the Statens Vegvesen for Norway? - would be good to contact them and confirm. I would have no problems moving to Sweden even though I have family in Norway, I’m planning on being on the road rather than being at home as I need to make enough money to start a life having lost pretty much everything… Thanks

dieseldennis2:
Guys I would say Q hutpik he would be in the know . cheers dennis

Hi, sorry this forum is new to me so how do I contact hutpik? - cheers

Hi.Go onto the forums of Euro drivers,look at the threads re '‘working\living in scandinavia’'from both myself and Duck.You should find most info somewhere.I live and work in the far North of Lappland in Sweden.Duck has worked in Norway.Obviously Sweden is easier as it is EU.The rules can be quite different in Norway and transferring of diplomas,certificates etc varies from country to country.
Maybe you could find an organisation in Norway or Sweden where you can take CPC in English,obviously it will cost more.

hutpik:
Hi.Go onto the forums of Euro drivers,look at the threads re '‘working\living in scandinavia’'from both myself and Duck.You should find most info somewhere.I live and work in the far North of Lappland in Sweden.Duck has worked in Norway.Obviously Sweden is easier as it is EU.The rules can be quite different in Norway and transferring of diplomas,certificates etc varies from country to country.
Maybe you could find an organisation in Norway or Sweden where you can take CPC in English,obviously it will cost more.

this is great thanks. Do you know what the equivalent in Sweden is to Statens Vegvesen in Norway?? - I can contact them as well for info

Does sound like Norway being out of the EU is the cause of this as Sweden would be easier.

Hi James.in Sweden it is Vägverket or Transportstyrelsen.
If you have family in Norway they should be able to help you more than we can.If you live there you should try to spend as much time as you can with then learning Norwegian.It will put you ahead if you look for work.
As re paperwork i have an English passport,a Dutch driving license,a Swedish digi card and am doing CPC in Swedish.
If you are not prepared to ‘‘duck and dive’’ and ‘‘stretch the truth’’ a bit you will never last in transport.You don’t Think all the foreign drivers who work abroad got jobs by being ‘‘straight up’’ do you.
Go back to the UK and get the papers then come back and ■■■■■■■■.You either want a job or you don’t.Mike

hutpik:
Hi James.in Sweden it is Vägverket or Transportstyrelsen.
If you have family in Norway they should be able to help you more than we can.If you live there you should try to spend as much time as you can with then learning Norwegian.It will put you ahead if you look for work.
As re paperwork i have an English passport,a Dutch driving license,a Swedish digi card and am doing CPC in Swedish.
If you are not prepared to ‘‘duck and dive’’ and ‘‘stretch the truth’’ a bit you will never last in transport.You don’t Think all the foreign drivers who work abroad got jobs by being ‘‘straight up’’ do you.
Go back to the UK and get the papers then come back and [zb].You either want a job or you don’t.Mike

Hi Mike, thanks for all the advise…I hear you on the “being straight”…I am learning Norwegian but I want to get working asap so the language will come but not before the training.

But if you don’t speak Norwegian and the requirement is that all the training will be in Norwegian you’re takin 2 steps forward and 3 back.If you have no HGV,digi card or CPC the best is to either do other work whilst learning the language,or borrow money on expecter future earnings and go back to the UK and take crash courses,get everything then go back and be ‘‘flexible’’ about experience when looking for work.If necessary find a guy who will take you on a few trips to get the hang of it.Remember,it will soon be Winter and you don’t want to be ‘‘learning’’ here in the winter.Check out Utube.

Just sit in on the cpc in Norweigan, it’ll probably be more interesting than in English anyway, and just as useful. Its just a matter of sitting there anyway with no test at the end.

hutpik:
But if you don’t speak Norwegian and the requirement is that all the training will be in Norwegian you’re takin 2 steps forward and 3 back.If you have no HGV,digi card or CPC the best is to either do other work whilst learning the language,or borrow money on expecter future earnings and go back to the UK and take crash courses,get everything then go back and be ‘‘flexible’’ about experience when looking for work.If necessary find a guy who will take you on a few trips to get the hang of it.Remember,it will soon be Winter and you don’t want to be ‘‘learning’’ here in the winter.Check out Utube.

I think best thing would be to get back to UK, do the courses then either come back to Norway and do some local delivery driving for some cash and get some experience on the winter roads, whilst also working on my Norwegian and then look at a job in larger trucks early next year after winter. I have email Sweden authority so will see what they have to say also

Tris:
Just sit in on the cpc in Norweigan, it’ll probably be more interesting than in English anyway, and just as useful. Its just a matter of sitting there anyway with no test at the end.

Hi, good idea…I do know some basic Norwegian but are you sure there is no test?

There are language courses on disc & book available, the disc will help you get pronunciation correct, & a combination of the book, & a dictionary should help with the grammar. And you can make a good start with the self start home study. A tuitor would be a great help to cover the cpc course wording to help you understand the questions & answers needed.
You may find home study courses on the Internet.

bonnie lass:
There are language courses on disc & book available, the disc will help you get pronunciation correct, & a combination of the book, & a dictionary should help with the grammar. And you can make a good start with the self start home study. A tuitor would be a great help to cover the cpc course wording to help you understand the questions & answers needed.

Hi

I have a Norwegian tutor so I think you’ve come up with a great idea. Assuming I can buy the CPC then I spend some weeks with the tutor going over course material

Good idea
Thanks

Jameshub:

bonnie lass:

Hi

I have a Norwegian tutor so I think you’ve come up with a great idea. Assuming I can buy the CPC then I spend some weeks with the tutor going over course material

Good idea
Thanks

Hi, do you know or any bilingual freinds out there, just a thought !! They might be kind enough to give you a bit of language or translation help , you never know until you ask!

In the mean time try & use the language as much as possible, & don’t be afraid to say to people that you are keen to learn it. A lot of people will help if they can. And don’t be afraid of making a mistake, just laugh it off ! :smiley:

Jameshub:

Tris:

There is no test. It’s just a matter of sitting there for 7 hours in a classroom watching videos etc. you need 5 days I.e 35 hours and then you’ve got your cpc. The person taking the course gives you a certificate for each day and he uploads each day on the dvla database (or Norweigan equivalent I assume). You can do exactly the same course 5 times and still get a cpc that’s how much bo//ocks it is. And if you are doing driver training I think one of those days counts towards a day of cpc anyway so you would probably only need 4 days in the classroom.

Tris:

Jameshub:

Tris:

There is no test. It’s just a matter of sitting there for 7 hours in a classroom watching videos etc.

for CPC? - I have been told its 140 hours in Norway

Jameshub:

Tris:

Jameshub:

Tris:

There is no test. It’s just a matter of sitting there for 7 hours in a classroom watching videos etc.

for CPC? - I have been told its 140 hours in Norway

It’s 7 hours x 5 days so 35 hours. No way would it be 140 hours. That’s 4 weeks.

I fail to comprehend why you should need a tuitor if you already have family there.You don’t want to learn academic Norwegian,rather everyday usage.As the Norgies are in the top 3 for speaking English as a second language you should have no problem mixing the 2 to improve your fluency quite quickly.Just talk to people,it doesn’t matter how much of a pratt you feel,they will appreciate you are trying.
Check it out,course is 35-40hrs now but i think [if it’s the same as here]that if you do it after next september then its 140hrs.