Working in Norway

hutpik:
I fail to comprehend why you should need a tuitor if you already have family there.You don’t want to learn academic Norwegian,rather everyday usage.As the Norgies are in the top 3 for speaking English as a second language you should have no problem mixing the 2 to improve your fluency quite quickly.Just talk to people,it doesn’t matter how much of a pratt you feel,they will appreciate you are trying.
Check it out,course is 35-40hrs now but i think [if it’s the same as here]that if you do it after next september then its 140hrs.

my family doesn’t live in the same area, but I do speak some words and don’t mind making a prat of myself. I can also read Norwegian ok but it understanding it due to the speed they speak it… its definitely 140 hours now as there is a course starting in August which is over 6 weeks

My advice would be to book in for 1 day, try and blag it, if it all goes ok then book in for the other 4 days and get it done. I’d not heard about it changing to 140 hours that’s crazy if true.

Tris:
Just sit in on the cpc in Norweigan, it’ll probably be more interesting than in English anyway, and just as useful. Its just a matter of sitting there anyway with no test at the end.

+1, I live in Spain, and at the time of the cpc (cap) here id been living here only a couple of years, so the language barrier was still more or less there. Working for a German company the boss speaks English so i was ok till the time to take the cap, but i took the course in Spanish and to be honest after being a truck driver for 20 ish years in the uk and europe everything on the course was common sense really so no big deal and hense got my card in Spain. Hope this helps and good luck.

Tris:
My advice would be to book in for 1 day, try and blag it, if it all goes ok then book in for the other 4 days and get it done. I’d not heard about it changing to 140 hours that’s crazy if true.

check this out, look at October 19th - 140hr

agder-storbilskole.no/kaldener2015host.html

Depending on the cost in Norway it might be cheaper and easier to hop a cheap flight to the UK or Sweden and do it there.
Whatever you are going to do with your life in Norway it’s going to cost something to get started.

hutpik:
Depending on the cost in Norway it might be cheaper and easier to hop a cheap flight to the UK or Sweden and do it there.
Whatever you are going to do with your life in Norway it’s going to cost something to get started.

I think it will have to be UK or Sweden…what are the salaries like in Norway do you know for beginner do you know?

what is the best to try and get into first?

Jameshub:

Tris:

I think you’re wrong. It’s 35 hours total. Go on the other sub forum for beginners and ask Peter Smythe or one of the other trainers. They will tell you for definite. Then come back and let me know I was right. :sunglasses:

Tris:

Jameshub:

Tris:

I think you’re wrong. It’s 35 hours total. Go on the other sub forum for beginners and ask Peter Smythe or one of the other trainers. They will tell you for definite. Then come back and let me know I was right. :sunglasses:

with pleasure :smiley:

I think first you should get all the relevant papers then worry about a job.By the time you’ve got it all sorted it will be autumn and no-ones going to give you a job driving as a newbie through the winter,unless it’s a company that has a lot of EE drivers and pays crap money or maybe someone like a local distribution company also low money.
It also depends where you live as in the south there are a lot of EE [Eastern european]drivers so wages are kept down.
Tris.What is relevant in the UK is not necessarily the same in other countries.Here in Sweden it’s 40hrs now but if you wait till next September then it’s 140hrs.

hutpik:
I think first you should get all the relevant papers then worry about a job.By the time you’ve got it all sorted it will be autumn and no-ones going to give you a job driving as a newbie through the winter,unless it’s a company that has a lot of EE drivers and pays crap money or maybe someone like a local distribution company also low money.
It also depends where you live as in the south there are a lot of EE [Eastern european]drivers so wages are kept down.
Tris.What is relevant in the UK is not necessarily the same in other countries.Here in Sweden it’s 40hrs now but if you wait till next September then it’s 140hrs.

Thought it was a standardised eec thing. I think you must have got it wrong.

Tris.As my old boss is the chairman of the Road Haulage Association and also has a truck and heavy plant driving school,and he is arranging for me to do the DCPC via him now rather than later,i think that he is aware of the relevant rules and regulations.
Scandinavia has quite a few rules which do not run parallel with the rest of Europé.
I am getting pension next year and had no intention of even getting DCPC but was offered it free from him in case he wanted me for summmer work.

hutpik:

ok I hear you but if you google wages etc then you get crap info, so lets fast forward to autumn… what do you in your professional opinion think the wages would be and what should I look to get in to first?

as for where…I do live in the South but I have no wife or kids etc so I can go anywhere…just me and my dog!

Regarding the DCPC; It is a 140 hours course (plus a test) if you are taking the driving license for the first time now. And it will cost you 30-40 000 NOK. If you have it from before its “only” 35 hours. (Simplified, it’s complex rules. :stuck_out_tongue: )

cissa:
Regarding the DCPC; It is a 140 hours course (plus a test) if you are taking the driving license for the first time now. And it will cost you 30-40 000 NOK. If you have it from before its “only” 35 hours. (Simplified, it’s complex rules. :stuck_out_tongue: )

what is the difference between CPC and DCPC?

So you are working in Norway?

Jameshub:

Carryfast:
As a guess if living in Norway is conditional on working in Norway then probably a move to Sweden would be a better idea.If not then stay in Norway but sort the licence out here and then look for a job in Sweden.Being that I doubt if Sweden has any conditions about transferring a UK licence to Swedish use and there’s probably more work opportunities there than in Norway.While assuming you’re looking for a tramping job the location won’t matter anyway.

So you are thinking that Sweden won’t have an issue with a UK licence and won’t have any issues with me doing the tests in UK?
quote]

That’s my guess.To my knowledge all CPC qualifications both management and DCPC and licence requirements are all interchangeable between EU countries.IE C + E and CPC obtained here are all directly interchangeable with the requirements in any other EU state.So long as we stay in the EU which hopefully like Norway we’ll be out soon. :smiling_imp: :smiley:

Did you pass your car test before 97?

Carryfast:

Jameshub:

Carryfast:
As a guess if living in Norway is conditional on working in Norway then probably a move to Sweden would be a better idea.If not then stay in Norway but sort the licence out here and then look for a job in Sweden.Being that I doubt if Sweden has any conditions about transferring a UK licence to Swedish use and there’s probably more work opportunities there than in Norway.While assuming you’re looking for a tramping job the location won’t matter anyway.

So you are thinking that Sweden won’t have an issue with a UK licence and won’t have any issues with me doing the tests in UK?
quote]

That’s my guess.To my knowledge all CPC qualifications both management and DCPC and licence requirements are all interchangeable between EU countries.IE C + E and CPC obtained here are all directly interchangeable with the requirements in any other EU state.So long as we stay in the EU which hopefully like Norway we’ll be out soon. :smiling_imp: :smiley:

does that mean I can obtain licence in UK, move to Sweden and work for Swedish company that drives into Norway?

Jameshub:

cissa:

what is the difference between CPC and DCPC?

So you are working in Norway?

It is the same thing, I guess. Just a different way of writing it.

Yes, I am, but I am Norwegian, so can’t help you too much with the hole license-issue, unfortunately. (If I was a foreigner working i Norway, I would do like most EE-drivers do … go home and take the course and stuff there, and change it to a norwegian license when it is expiring. But it’s not legal, so it is a risk. But seems like the EE-drivers don’t get any problems with it)

Tris:

yes

Jameshub:

Tris:

yes

Have you still hot a UK licence registered to a UK address? If so just come over here and do it. You can get on a course for about £40 a day.