Finding a job in the uk

Hi there!

I’m a 22 year old swede that’s interested in moving abroad to work as a truck driver and get some international experience.
I heard that there’s a big hgv driver shortage in the UK? Is it all lies? :laughing:

Would it be “impossible” for a swede with ~1 years experience of driving tipper trucks (class C) to find a job? I’ve got my C+E drivers license, ADR, forklift, wheel loader, HIAB and of course the swedish equivalent of the CPC. I’ve got no experience of driving with trailers, but during my time in school we drove the 25,25m dolly + trailer combination we use here in Sweden.

If there’s anyone out there that know what companies might take on new drivers - i’d love to know.
Or maybe it’s a lost cause? :stuck_out_tongue:

/Oskar

Very hard getting work in the UK.

Its full of foreigners.

Okay. It’s funny the media says one thing but the reality is totally different :frowning:

That’s a turnip for the books.

oskar113:
Okay. It’s funny the media says one thing but the reality is totally different :frowning:

Don’t worry its a media thing (life lesson - people lie).
In reality they base their logic on the number of vacancies vs the number of drivers but fail to recognise that agencies mess these figures up with phantom vacancies.

However to be fair a swedish female would have no problems finding a position in the UK. Swedish males however not so much but never hurts to try.

Edit: as you have a very good grasp of the english language you should have no issues finding a job.
Come on down.

Hi Oskar.I don’t understand why you would want to go from the relaxed way of driving in Scandinavia to Europé,in particular the UK with all the stress,traffic and regulations.
Surely it would be better to try and find a Svensk or Norsk Company who drives to Europé.If you are not too concerned about money[because of competion from EE drivers]you could maybe try to find a Dutch Company who drives up to Scandinavia,that way you get the best of both worlds.

Dipper_Dave:
However to be fair a swedish female would have no problems finding a position in the UK. Swedish males however not so much but never hurts to try.

Edit: as you have a very good grasp of the english language you should have no issues finding a job.
Come on down.

Thanks Dave. I’ll see how it works out :slight_smile:

hutpik:
Hi Oskar.I don’t understand why you would want to go from the relaxed way of driving in Scandinavia to Europé,in particular the UK with all the stress,traffic and regulations.
Surely it would be better to try and find a Svensk or Norsk Company who drives to Europé.If you are not too concerned about money[because of competion from EE drivers]you could maybe try to find a Dutch Company who drives up to Scandinavia,that way you get the best of both worlds.

Hi Hutpik, thanks for the answer!

Well the reason is basically that I want to try something new and live abroad for a while.
I guess it’s the “grass is always greener” thing haha

I’d love to work for a company that drives towards Scandinavia, but I haven’t found so many that are recruiting.
(I think it’s because I don’t have any real trailer experience).
That’s also one of the goals with maybe finding a job in the UK, to get that experience. Norway is of course not of out the picture, I guess it’s a good experience to drive there on their Trollstigen-ish roads :laughing:

Hi Oskar.As i said you could always try a Dutch Company.There are quite a few that drive to Scandinavia with ''kyll\frys trucks but most have EE drivers.The same applies to Danmark.However,as you speak the Scanadinavian languages and good English ,and if it is more of an ‘‘adventure’’ rather than a need to earn vast sums of money you could have some possibilities,especially during the winter months as many European companys are going back to using Western European drivers during the winter months due to the amount of accidents due to ‘‘inexperienced’’ winter drivers.I have seen this more each year up here.Good luck.Mike

Hi, you could try Luckings they take inexperienced drivers on, and you will get the chance to see the rest of Europe.
When i was there they had Italian and French drivers doing just like you are wanting to, get some experience in another country. As long as money isn’t a problem, as you won’t earn much :frowning:
As far as experience goes, you could always stretch the truth a bit :open_mouth: it wouldn’t be the first time its been done. The year i was there i got all over the EU as far as Serbia. Missed out on Russia as i was on holiday.

:open_mouth:

Blimey great idea swap the opportunity to drive 65 tonners on distance work in one of the richest most under populated countries in the Northern hemisphere.For the chance of doing local multi drop with an 18 tonner here. :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

hutpik:
Hi Oskar.As i said you could always try a Dutch Company.There are quite a few that drive to Scandinavia with ''kyll\frys trucks but most have EE drivers.The same applies to Danmark.However,as you speak the Scanadinavian languages and good English ,and if it is more of an ‘‘adventure’’ rather than a need to earn vast sums of money you could have some possibilities,especially during the winter months as many European companys are going back to using Western European drivers during the winter months due to the amount of accidents due to ‘‘inexperienced’’ winter drivers.I have seen this more each year up here.Good luck.Mike

Thanks for the suggestions Mike, i’ll definitely look into that :smiley:

cypry0:
Hi, you could try Luckings they take inexperienced drivers on, and you will get the chance to see the rest of Europe.
When i was there they had Italian and French drivers doing just like you are wanting to, get some experience in another country. As long as money isn’t a problem, as you won’t earn much :frowning:
As far as experience goes, you could always stretch the truth a bit :open_mouth: it wouldn’t be the first time its been done. The year i was there i got all over the EU as far as Serbia. Missed out on Russia as i was on holiday.

That sounds very interesting! I’ll give them my application and hear what they have to say.
Well the thing with stretching the truth is that they usually find out one way or another :laughing:

Carryfast:
:shock:

Blimey great idea swap the opportunity to drive 65 tonners on distance work in one of the richest most under populated countries in the Northern hemisphere.For the chance of doing local multi drop with an 18 tonner here. :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Well if you add moose and reindeer to the equation we have quite the traffic :laughing: :wink:

Having been lucky enough to drive to Sweden on a number of occaisions all i can say is you must be mad wanting to come here-serious.However i will do a straight swop and you can have the wife thrown in.

I heard that there’s a big hgv driver shortage in the UK? Is it all lies?

Oh please please please don’t fall for this crap…just sheer rumour and speculation… keep an eye on truck net and see how many class 2 drivers struggle to get work like Damian88… spend his 2k but cant get work

Most employers are looking for 2 year experience so they say and over 25… its an insurance thing

Would it be “impossible” for a swede with ~1 years experience of driving tipper trucks (class C) to find a job? I’ve got my C+E drivers license, ADR, forklift, wheel loader, HIAB and of course the Swedish equivalent of the CPC. I’ve got no experience of driving with trailers, but during my time in school we drove the 25,25m dolly + trailer combination we use here in Sweden.

Unfortunately Oskar there’s plenty of the EE brethren already over here looking for work but don’t let this put you off… Why don’t you come over for a holiday and see how the land lye’s, at least your not committing to moving… have you considered other countries like Germany :question:

All I can say is good luck with what ever you decide but remember the grass isn’t always greener on the other side…

Swampey2418:
Unfortunately Oskar there’s plenty of the EE brethren already over here looking for work but don’t let this put you off… Why don’t you come over for a holiday and see how the land lye’s, at least your not committing to moving… have you considered other countries like Germany :question:

All I can say is good luck with what ever you decide but remember the grass isn’t always greener on the other side…

Thanks for your input Swampey, and you’re definitely right - It isn’t all sunshine and rainbows.
I’ve visited the UK before but I might go for a visit in june again, it wouldn’t hurt :slight_smile:

Yes indeed, i’m basically considering the whole western europe. But I haven’t been able to find a lot of companies in Germany that take on foreigners. (especially with only 1yr experience :laughing: ) - Do you know of any companies there that do?

Thanks again mate

Northern ireland might be a better option
Try sawyers or mcculla might have a better chance

I would definitely get in touch with a scandinavian company, that does europe - micke bollhem/mtab, byrknes auto, redline thermo etc, I’m sure you’ll find more if you look into it a little. stjärnströms might give you an old 164 that you can work “flexibly” with as well :laughing:

I’m sure you’ll just have to call them and ask them, good jobs are rarely advertised

oskar113:
Hi there!

I’m a 22 year old swede that’s interested in moving abroad to work as a truck driver and get some international experience.
I heard that there’s a big hgv driver shortage in the UK? Is it all lies? :laughing:

Would it be “impossible” for a swede with ~1 years experience of driving tipper trucks (class C) to find a job? I’ve got my C+E drivers license, ADR, forklift, wheel loader, HIAB and of course the swedish equivalent of the CPC. I’ve got no experience of driving with trailers, but during my time in school we drove the 25,25m dolly + trailer combination we use here in Sweden.

If there’s anyone out there that know what companies might take on new drivers - i’d love to know.
Or maybe it’s a lost cause? :stuck_out_tongue:

/Oskar

Ahh,UK is big and not many Oskars here. rather Pietros,Lucas and so. a few Tommies left as well,and,if you wanna get 100 Year old. Yes,UK is the Place.
Very strickt Health and Safety,and dont try to go around the Rules. Let you explain from a Tommy. They speak better English. Dont start with low-Loader or anything else for Construction sites as H&S is even more advanced.
Try Agency for Tesco,ASDA or similar first.
and,dont buy Umbrella. Its too Windy here for it.