Windscreen laws

Can anyone point me in the direction of the document I’ve seen in a few transport offices showing the areas of the windscreen that must be kept clear - had a look on the VOSA site & then ran out of ideas.

tallyman:
Can anyone point me in the direction of the document I’ve seen in a few transport offices showing the areas of the windscreen that must be kept clear - had a look on the VOSA site & then ran out of ideas.

rha.uk.net/ContentFiles/NAFT … e%2009.pdf

That will give you some idea!

Thanks for that - I take it that’s for the MOT test(?), it’s the VOSA poster about road use that’s more of interest, if you know the one I mean. I see it in DHL sites, unfortunately I haven’t been on for them in a while.

So you can stick your sat nav to the screen providing it’s attached to the dirty bit?

when i got stopped by VOSA on the perimeter road in heathrow, the guy even made me remove my paperwork from on top of the dashboard, he said windscreen area had to be totally clear :neutral_face: :neutral_face:

These rules must have totally killed the market for the manufacturers of Spanish bullfighters’ arrows, 24v Love Calls, naked chrome ladies on springs and little sucker-mounted flags with “BELGIUM” written horizontally on them.

So im not allowed to cover my windscreen with cds to reflect the speed camera rays :frowning:

Noticed a crack in the screen today.
Even Gavin would struggle to fill this with his “special resin” :confused:

crackinmywindshield0cp[1].jpg

The Saxmachine:
So you can stick your sat nav to the screen providing it’s attached to the dirty bit?

No, a bit more serous than that. Night shift earlier this week I was walking along front of a row of units, along the marked pedestrian walkway, and one of the units started to pull forward. It was about 4 foot in front so I had enough time to get out of the way, but I noticed the unit was one of these with football banner across the top and a couple of other things in the middle of the windscreen and they obviously created a blind spot. I reported it as a near miss and the guy in transport said he didn’t think they could do anything about the stuff in the window - hence my desire to try & get something in black & white. Only second time I’ve been in there on the agency so don’t want to make waves - as far as I could tell this was the only unit I saw with anything on the screen so I guess it’s the boss’s son or something(?)

tallyman:

The Saxmachine:

No, a bit more serous than that. Night shift earlier this week I was walking along front of a row of units, along the marked pedestrian walkway, and one of the units started to pull forward. It was about 4 foot in front so I had enough time to get out of the way, but I noticed the unit was one of these with football banner across the top and a couple of other things in the middle of the windscreen and they obviously created a blind spot. I reported it as a near miss and the guy in transport said he didn’t think they could do anything about the stuff in the window - hence my desire to try & get something in black & white. Only second time I’ve been in there on the agency so don’t want to make waves - as far as I could tell this was the only unit I saw with anything on the screen so I guess it’s the boss’s son or something(?)

Use some common sense, not some H&S crap. If the engine is running, or the lights are on, it may move!

If I cross in front of a wagon with the engine running I always cross way in front, or I stick my hand up in the air to give the driver something to see.

To be honest if you drive a wagon for a living you should realise that vision close to the front is basically non-existent, even with the six million mirrors you have on modern trucks.

Oh here we go with the “Blind spot brigade” ffs…I just don’t believe they exist except for immediately behind the vehicle/trailer, I’ve asked people to stand in various places around the truck and I’ve always been able to see them. It’s just an excuse for people who don’t have their mirrors set correctly!