Vosa and Sat Nav Issue

Apparently last week VOSA visited my work and stated to management that SatNavs are not to be placed in front screens anymore, all drivers had to sign a paper to say we understood this - anyone else had this ? I said how are they going to enforce it ? apparently if they spot a lorry from a bridge etc…they will return to the yard. Surely its far safer to view in the corner or low down in your screen than looking at it on the dashboard ?

Hope not!

Might be a bit of an inconvenience with the new Hour Guard coming only with a windscreen mount!

Alex

Your joking :question: :question: :question:

Must find somewhere to put Tax disc O licence and Dart tag… :confused: :confused:

tobytyke:
Apparently last week VOSA visited my work and stated to management that SatNavs are not to be placed in front screens anymore, all drivers had to sign a paper to say we understood this - anyone else had this ? I said how are they going to enforce it ? apparently if they spot a lorry from a bridge etc…they will return to the yard. Surely its far safer to view in the corner or low down in your screen than looking at it on the dashboard ?

are you sure it was vosa and not your boss bringing in a rule that doesnt need bringing in? you know what some of them can be like?

maybe he is worried about the o’s that they leave on the windscreen■■? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

It seems a bit strange that VOSA would do that.

If it was VOSA than it sounds to me like someone from your company has upset them and they’re just looking for excuses to make things difficult.

We had a driver communication a few weeks back now saying there has to be nothing in the windscreen to obstruct vision within the area swept by the wipers.

Driveroneuk:
We had a driver communication a few weeks back now saying there has to be nothing in the windscreen to obstruct vision within the area swept by the wipers.

same as me as its an offence apparently

I hjave been led to understand from a member of the mets finest that satnavs are not illiegal as they come under the same scope as the anpr equipment that the police and DVLA use.

But you know VOSA, anythging to make the truckers life harder.

Okey-Didley-Dokely:
I hjave been led to understand from a member of the mets finest that satnavs are not illiegal as they come under the same scope as the anpr equipment that the police and DVLA use.

but i think you’ll find that their ANPR equipment is not mounted on the windscreen.

Okey-Didley-Dokely:

That comes under the regulations not allowing an on TV screen within sight of the driver, TV screens which are fitted within sight of the driver are often wired so they can only come on when the park brake is on. Screens used for navigation purposes do not come under this legislation.

A vehicle will fail the MOT with anything other than the normal discs in the window so I think this is what VOSA were getting at. Just mount your SatNav on the dash instead and it then isn’t in the windscreen and you will be fine.

or stick it in the arc that is let where the wipers dont sweep. there is no law against it being there?

if there was you could get pulled for it being dirty! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I asked this question today to the people on the VOSA stand. at the CV show.

They said that the issue is possibly with where the items are placed in the screen.
But they could not tell me all the details, as they didnt know!

I think it comes down to an overzealous officer. Hopefully common sense will prevail, but I dont hold out much hope. :wink: :wink:

Stick the sat nav in the side window :stuck_out_tongue: That’ll confuse you

Forgetting Sat Nav 's just for a moment

Gess this means you cant use the Sun Visor either
as this obstructs the top 3rd of your field of vision :slight_smile:

Q out

i’ve seen people with their sat nav’s mounted eye level in the center of the windscreen. Somebody has to protect me from these idiots. Use your common sense and you’re unlikely to be bothered by vosa.

hehe. Sat Nav idiots are my “favourite ones”

I saw once one moron who drive his sprinter into the water on slip way, as he had some cheap sat nav and that showed him “that way” and haven’t told him “by the ferry” :grimacing:

well i passed vosa today at the weighbridge at tankersley , barnsley and he had a look at us but we drove by lol…with satnav low down in windscreen.

Personally Q’s more worried about having it solen (than Vosa)

As I recall reading,
that Sat-Nav’s are now top of the list of frequently STOLEN Motoring accessory

So mines mounted inconspicuously on the dash center consol.

Personally Im amazed at now many are in plain view from outside the wagon
( high on the windshield, right next to the door,
nice easy, for Mr Thief to come along and borrow it )
All they need to do, is brake the drivers side window, and bingo, one free Sat-Nav.

Q’ over & Out >>

its always a good idea to remove the suction marks left by satnavs on your windscreen too…thieves see these marks and think that the satnav is in the glove box or under the seat and will pop a window to look…

Ok, why is satnav (without the space) now a bad word on TruckNet…what have I missed?!