Why are some drivers so grumpy to forkies?

Had a well grumpy driver tonight…(I am now working as a forklift driver at PD Logistics in felixstowe…)Was asked by a driver for a broom to sweep off his trailer(No problems being asked) but when i came back he just went"Can you give me a lift up on your forks please" my answer “sorry mate but if someone sees me do that i will get sacked!!” And with that he shouts and screams"Oh [zb] Its one of those [zb] companys
And the poor bloke having to load him got it in the ear at each pallet brought out to the driver… Was that anyone on here…Was about 5 or 6pm thursday evening…

just make the zb wait next time

I get email Health & Safety alerts from Croners. Not that I ever read them. :unamused:

But I can remember one, a few years ago, (from memory) of a firm being fined £5,000.00 for ‘lifting’ a driver into a trailer. If someone offers. I decline. If I ‘need’ something to ‘step up’, then I will use a FLT as a climbing aid. But only when it is static.

At one company I went to some months ago, they wheeled out this ‘staircase’ structure, with a hinged door at the top. Getting halfway up, on their uneven ground, I responded, “No thanks.” And reverted to my ‘preferred’ mode of using ‘grab’ handles and ‘non slip’ textures (on the trailer).

What’s wrong with you? You really should have assisted him in his quest to climb onto the trailer, it wouldn’t have taken much.

You should have shoved the broom up his arse in order to leave him both hands free. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Coffeeholic:
What’s wrong with you? You really should have assisted him in his quest to climb onto the trailer, it wouldn’t have taken much.

You should have shoved the broom up his arse in order to leave him both hands free. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

:laughing: :laughing: Classic :exclamation:

Jay, im going there this morning, prob be there around 7am, im subbing for GMA, driving this

i go in there at least once a week, gimme a shout if you see me mate (and ive got my own broom by the way!)

In ye olden days, a forkie would give you a lift onto the roof of your trailer, never mind the deck :wink:

Harry Monk:
In ye olden days, a forkie would give you a lift onto the roof of your trailer, never mind the deck :wink:

he would, but he would never help you pulll the sheet back when you were stripping out :frowning:

kindle530:

Harry Monk:

he would, but he would never help you pulll the sheet back when you were stripping out :frowning:

\First 5 years of what i laughingly refer to as my career, i was a forklift driver and i always gave someone a hand to strip or re-assemble a tilt, getting off the forklift to heave the curtain back.! work on what goes around comes around theory. Guess you weren’t around trafford park in the mid - late 80s. Plenty of memories of slowly driving down the side of a tilt with a driver balanced on a pallet pulling the side sheets up. For the life of me, I can’t see why curtains become so popular… :wink:

But no, wouldn’t be able to do it now!

@kindle dont start till midday on friday(today) start at 3.30pm weekdays till 1am…Seen you in there before when i came in early on a friday a while ago…

i was shunting yesterday and one of our own drivers came hurtling in parked his wagon over two bays and thought thats were he could drop it, so i said “you carnt leave that there mate” his reply what do you want me to do pick it up" now i thought what a [zb] so i said no move it over into one bay oh and while your at it undo the clips on your trailer…his response " and you reckon am gonna do it" my reply very calmly well its not much to ask since the trailer you have come in for is hooked up to my shunter and am due to have a break so you could be some time waiting for your trailer…guess what yes you guessed it the trailer was put straighter than straight all clips undone, so i thought ok maybe he had a bad moment and was a little pushed so i made the mistake of asking him what his problem was and why the aggression his reply " i havent even started yet " i couldnt help myself i burst out laughin and my reply was wow mate you are a right [zb] i can see your a popular guy ill leave you too it. now maybe its my age am 35 and more mellow but a few years back am sure i would of levelled the ■■■■■■ carnt be doing with idiots with attitude.
i then find out that he is always like that so ive arranged for the security to search him everytime he leaves site just to annoy him and thats after us leaving him waiting on a bay for a while.
be nice to other they will be nice to you be a [zb] and expect to be treated as such. some people carnt help it i suppose but they must be really unhappy souls

I’ll get UK-truckster to write her minor experience this morning on here later…

albion:
Plenty of memories of slowly driving down the side of a tilt with a driver balanced on a pallet pulling the side sheets up.

Been there, done that… except a proper driver would just balance on the forks, pallets are for softies! :wink:

Yer obviously dead 'ard 'Arry :laughing:

jayeastanglia:
‘…Can you give me a lift up on your forks please …“sorry mate but if someone sees me do that i will get sacked!!” And with that he shouts and screams"Oh [zb] Its one of those [zb] companys…’

Maybe ask him what his company Risk Assessment advises when he wishes to sweep his deck?

We can be our own worst enemies for not feeding back our daily realities to our bosses in order that they reconsider them under 21st century conditions - not those that are (sadly?) past.

i dont get why some folk are grumpy with shunters/forkies

i always try to be nice and the grumpier the forkie the nicer i am lol.

I worked in a warehouse for 2 years and never had a problem with any driver I used to find they wanted to stop for a chat but to be honest when a driver pulled up I would tell him where to go and ask him if he wanted a coffee while I waited for him to open the curtains. I knew how to pick the lock to get my tokens back for the drinks :wink: . Some of the lads I worked with though were right tossers to the drivers.

Some forkies and shunters do not help themselves and expect an unfamiliar driver to know the site rules and layout of the site without being told, this goes along with the patronising way the security bloke talks to you. At the end of the working day, we all have a job to do, why can we not all help each other?

Civility costs nothing, Common Sense in an RDC works, hiding behind H&S normally antagonises the situation. :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
Some forkies and shunters do not help themselves and expect an unfamiliar driver to know the site rules and layout of the site without being told, this goes along with the patronising way the security bloke talks to you. At the end of the working day, we all have a job to do, why can we not all help each other?

Civility costs nothing, Common Sense in an RDC works, hiding behind H&S normally antagonises the situation. :stuck_out_tongue:

yep its true about some of them but its a 50/50 split between drivers/forkies/shunters tbh. i mean when shunting at tesco you generally find that tescos own drivers are the grumpy ones and that the agency ones do as you ask them. i did get one driver tell me he wasnt putting a trailer on a bay for me as that was my job, i dont see the differencebetween him putting a trailer ont he bay or driving into the trailer park and dropping it there. its also not because im a lazy git who cant be bothered picking a trailer up and having it on the bay its the fact on the fresh side at tesco the nightshift run out of trailers by about 7pm and thats from a 6pm start and its all drips and drabs all night so once a fridge comes in it goes straight on the bay

luckily another driver was behind him so i put him on that bay lol…

manners dont cost anythink simplezzzz