Fork lift drivers

Have your say!!!

They drive forklifts?
Cant say much I was/am one, I deliver them :laughing: :laughing:

About what?
The only gripe I have is the whingecanton drivers turning into a bunch of sissy’s.
We load cages of bags on our motors. The cages are packed last drop at bottom, first drop at top. There can be 8 or more of these cages on a wagon.
But the poor drivers had a moan because there could be a few bags in each cage for a drop. (despite them being in drop order) so instead of them spending 5 minutes of the day sorting bags as they go, we have to waste half hour to an hour putting all the bags together, so the poor darlings only need to go to one cage per drop. Then we get moaned at because loading is taking longer.

And one of the slimy buggers reported a wagon I loaded which had a drop 7 on top of a drop 1. (Drop one was half a ton of clay products, drop 7 was a coil of plastic pipe about 1.5kg in weight.)

Im good mates with 2 of them in our yard. Love it haha. No queues waiting for the odd pallet to get moved. If u have a laugh and carry on most of them are orite. Except Sainsburys East Kilbride haha

There was a forklift drivers job advertised at a nearby distribution centre. They wanted someone to move four to six HUNDRED pallets in a shift. Not an expert, but that sounds like a real demented pace. :open_mouth:

PPH:
Have your say!!!

Most I come across are decent, some miseries and awkward swines like anywhere else but always worth keeping on your side. A good relationship with the forkies can make a massive difference to your day - they do have the power to ■■■■ all over your chips.

As someone who in a former life occasionally went into the night time pallet hubs I can only say the forkies were hugely entertaining and awe inspiring as they hooned around everywhere at warp three and still managed not to kill anyone!

the maoster:
As someone who in a former life occasionally went into the night time pallet hubs I can only say the forkies were hugely entertaining and awe inspiring as they hooned around everywhere at warp three and still managed not to kill anyone!

I often go to RDC’s delivering/removing various FLT’s and batteries and the like and I often look at them like you said maoster buzzing around like demented bees, I wouldn’t have a clue what pallet goes where.
My biggest fear would be the first day as a Forkie at one of those places…there would be chaos I tell you :blush: :laughing: :laughing:

The reason I ask is because a good number of years ago one told me you are going to be here a while driver I am going for my lunch and then got him to do, my reply was fine, moved to far end of yard and pulled curtains,30 mins later knock on door, what you doing drive, having a sleep get paid by the hour so you can keep me all day,20 mins later TIPPED and on my way,

They have to have lunches and breaks like everyone else :wink:

LIBERTY_GUY:
There was a forklift drivers job advertised at a nearby distribution centre. They wanted someone to move four to six HUNDRED pallets in a shift. Not an expert, but that sounds like a real demented pace. :open_mouth:

That’s about seventy pallets an hour… getting on for three artics. You’d have to be good.

Depends what kit you’ve got,though and how far you have to move the pallets. Back in the day I did a lot of agency work for Bass at Hilton depot, on the double-handler trucks; you may have seen them, pick up two pallets side-by-side. Experienced driver on them could easily load a 20-pallet artic in less than ten minutes with the old Brewliner trailers.

PPH:
The reason I ask is because a good number of years ago one told me you are going to be here a while driver I am going for my lunch and then got him to do, my reply was fine, moved to far end of yard and pulled curtains,30 mins later knock on door, what you doing drive, having a sleep get paid by the hour so you can keep me all day,20 mins later TIPPED and on my way,

Sometimes I like to fall out with them so I’m put in the naughty corner for a while, more £££ for me:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Sidevalve:

LIBERTY_GUY:

That’s about seventy pallets an hour… getting on for three artics. You’d have to be good.

Depends what kit you’ve got,though and how far you have to move the pallets. Back in the day I did a lot of agency work for Bass at Hilton depot, on the double-handler trucks; you may have seen them, pick up two pallets side-by-side. Experienced driver on them could easily load a 20-pallet artic in less than ten minutes with the old Brewliner trailers.

Yeah they used to use those at Jaguar, load and unload from one side.

I had mused over getting a flt license myself as an extra skill set. Can get week long RTITB certificated course for just £330 at a place in next village. Looking on job site though, have seen flt drivers jobs advertised for as little as £6.50 hour and even one at NMW… :open_mouth: Somehow not much of an incentive. :confused:

Arr, it’s nuts watching 50 odd tear about inside at the pallet hubs like busy worker bees, all safe enough an all.

Maybe you should read what forklift drivers say about lorry drivers on their site before replying!.. :slight_smile:

Always used to amaze me how there wasn’t accidents when I was at the pallet ways hub in lichfield. Full blast across the yard, arse bouncing out the seat holding onto the wheel for dear life :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

not easy job.sometime more stress than drive 40 tonne truck.was driving rich FLT

I used to have a blast drive a forklift, though it lost its sparkle at 11 pm in November when it was lashing down and loading outside :confused:

I worked on the same principle that I did when I was driving, play the diplomat, don’t hassle and help out where you can; makes the day go quicker and people help you out if you help them most of the time.

maga:
Always used to amaze me how there wasn’t accidents when I was at the pallet ways hub in lichfield. Full blast across the yard, arse bouncing out the seat holding onto the wheel for dear life :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

coffee in one hand, ■■■ hanging out of gob ■■?