Why are some drivers so grumpy to forkies?

gogzy:

Wheel Nut:
Some forkies and shunters do not help themselves and expect an unfamiliar driver to know the site rules and layout of the site without being told, this goes along with the patronising way the security bloke talks to you. At the end of the working day, we all have a job to do, why can we not all help each other?

Civility costs nothing, Common Sense in an RDC works, hiding behind H&S normally antagonises the situation. :stuck_out_tongue:

yep its true about some of them but its a 50/50 split between drivers/forkies/shunters tbh.quote]

how can you get a 50/50 split with three people gogz,u been on the sauce again :laughing: :laughing:

This morning, I didn’t say anything but wasn’t happy at all, waiting for 45 minutes before they started to offload me, while they were so called “busy”. Then finally they start for taking off my 5 pallets. And then…

3 PALLETS OUT AND MR FORKIE GOES FOR A DUMP. :open_mouth:

So maybe thats why drivers get grumpy, cos I was! :unamused:

Ive been lifted up onto my trailer by forklift :stuck_out_tongue:

maverick72:

gogzy:

Wheel Nut:
Some forkies and shunters do not help themselves and expect an unfamiliar driver to know the site rules and layout of the site without being told, this goes along with the patronising way the security bloke talks to you. At the end of the working day, we all have a job to do, why can we not all help each other?

Civility costs nothing, Common Sense in an RDC works, hiding behind H&S normally antagonises the situation. :stuck_out_tongue:

yep its true about some of them but its a 50/50 split between drivers/forkies/shunters tbh.quote]

how can you get a 50/50 split with three people gogz,u been on the sauce again :laughing: :laughing:

you know what i mean, and no i havnt even though its friday night. lol

DAF95XF:

ive drove a forklift without a licence :open_mouth:

gogzy:

DAF95XF:

ive drove a forklift without a licence :open_mouth:

Me too :wink:

Harry Monk:
In ye olden days, a forkie would give you a lift onto the roof of your trailer, never mind the deck :wink:

Heh. Still will where I’m currently working. TFFT.

Back in my youth I was an apprentice electronics engineer working for Tatung, in Telford. We had just moved to the new
factory from the old Decca/Racal site in Bridgnorth and we were installing all the new signal distribution cabling in the
roof hung trunking systems, some 5 or 6 meters up. This was mainly acheived by me standing on the forks of an FLT and
feeding in the cable as someone else (unlicenced) drove the truck, following the trunking around the factory.

This was all going swimmingly well until the ‘forkie’ lost concentration, the trunking turned a corner, he didn’t. Left me
dangling 5 meters up hanging onto the sharp edges of the galvanised steel trunking duct.

My how we laughed… well… actually we did. Once the company nurse had bandaged my slit palms up.

Ahh, them were the days :wink:

golden rule no.1 - never upset the bloke who’s going to be loading you! you could be waiting a long time…

gogzy:
i dont get why some folk are grumpy with shunters/forkies

i always try to be nice and the grumpier the forkie the nicer i am lol.

Mibee cos 63.5% of shunters are so far up their own arse they are begging for it. ( % Based on arrogant pricks who answered the questionnaire )

timmo:
golden rule no.1 - never upset the bloke who’s going to be loading you! you could be waiting a long time…

so very true…Have found majority of drivers coming in will have a quick chat while i am loading them up…you know a ■■■■■■ chat about something then on goes the pallet then back to the conversation again…My way of doing it is if drivers give me crap they will be waiting that bit longer…but hey if i load up quick the sooner i get my tea break…They have a weird way of loading here as well…1 forkie brings the pallets out and either 1 or more loads up the trailer all goes really well .But its like a ghost town when its lunch time or a tea break…

jayeastanglia:

timmo:

so very true…Have found majority of drivers coming in will have a quick chat while i am loading them up…you know a ■■■■■■ chat about something then on goes the pallet then back to the conversation again…My way of doing it is if drivers give me crap they will be waiting that bit longer…but hey if i load up quick the sooner i get my tea break…They have a weird way of loading here as well…1 forkie brings the pallets out and either 1 or more loads up the trailer all goes really well .But its like a ghost town when its lunch time or a tea break…

Never upset anyone who could delay your journey… LOL not just forkies, receptionists, roadworkers, coppers… all potentially the same!

Wheel Nut:

Exactly, you really have to do as you would be done to. In my agency days I would be arriving at a location driving for one firm, and the forkies/shunters couldn’t do enough to help you. Another time, I’d be driving for someone else and the attitude was entirely different, so it appears that sometimes the one or two bad apples spoil the whole barrel.

I done 2 years at goods in on a flt and still on quiet driving days go stints at goods in and goods out and I would have no problem letting a akward driver wait.

All of the materials comming to our place come from across the water so a driver comming in “mate I’m trying to get the ferry home in an hour” well I’ll pull all the stops / take late breaks / get another flt to help - but the lazy heures that would half open the curtains, leave the internal straps hanging over the load and announce that they NEED to be away in 10 minutes before buggering off into the cab… well they soon get the idea when after 10 mins the flt engine hasn’t even started :laughing:

Or on busy days when 2/3 artics would be comming in at once 1st thing someone would always try and nip the wrong way round the yard to get unloaded 1st, and when you tell them that its 1st come 1st serve (no bookings) they tell you that they’ll make a phonecall and that’ll be me put in my place… oh the look on their face when their office phones ours, and thay put the call through to me on the warehouse floor so I can tell them the same… f off to the back of the que!! But to be fair I always tell them that if the drivers in the que are happy enough for him to go infront then not a problem, very rarely they’ll ask the others, NEVER have they said yes :laughing: :laughing:

Most forkies have the power to make your day easier or harder so Im always nice and polite even if they’re grumpy, you hear the stories where drivers have kicked up a fuss and then been made to wait for hours so just let em get on with it.

Lucky for me I have a crane so if they’re really taking the mick I can tip myself

Grayham:
Lucky for me I have a crane so if they’re really taking the mick I can tip myself

I don’t have a crane, but I’ve got a clutch pedal, a big engine and lots of horse power :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: