What's the lightest tractor unit(IN WEIGHT NOT COLOUR)

Thank you for all your replies in my previous topics most of which were extremely helpful.
To get an answer to this next question will undoubtedly get me on the road!
As some of you are now aware I want to drive a tractor unit 4x2 ,with sleeping accommodation, so therefore it has to be below 7.5 ton (as I only have a C1 licence) I do not mind removing the 5th wheel, possibly a diesel tank and to put on alloy wheels to ensure that the weight is 7.5 ton. Whilst I have been looking at Scanias Topline they appear to be too heavy so what 4X2 tractor units are there that would weigh below 7.5 ton with a few minor alterations?
I’m wanting to buy one that is clean inside, has done no more than 850,000 km, between 7 and 10 years old and for about £12k. I do have a lovley mercedes clk 320 2004 42k miles for part exchange and some private number plates that read CLOWN, CRACKR MR OLD, 1 BTY, 2 BTY, 26 ED, WKN 88 for exchange too. So if anyone reading this is wanting to dispose of a tractor unit with an interest in private number plates or a merc then I look forward to your reply.

At that age/price you’re probably looking at a DAF CF, Renault Premium or perhaps a Foden Alpha if you’re wanting lightness. Any one of them as a 4x2 should come in under 7000kg I would think.

Paul

Maybe slightly older but I would have thought an ERF EC11 Olympic. would give the space wanted, bomb proof mechanics and that fibreglass cab would keep the weight down (and the rust at bay)

Semtex:
Maybe slightly older but I would have thought an ERF EC11 Olympic. would give the space wanted, bomb proof mechanics and that fibreglass cab would keep the weight down (and the rust at bay)

Did they do a 4x2 tractor unit version?

GERARD2223:

Semtex:

Not an Olympic - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ERF-EC11-4X2-SLEEPER-CAB-TRACTOR-UNIT-1998R-MII-ENGINE_W0QQitemZ130346262367QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Commercial_Trucks?hash=item1e593e1f5f

THIS HELP ?

Before you buy, I suggest you have a test drive in a large bumpy car park, as the ride and handling of a unit running “bobtail” is not great. :cry:

DAF95XF:

GERARD2223:

Semtex:

Not an Olympic - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ERF-EC11-4X2-SLEEPER-CAB-TRACTOR-UNIT-1998R-MII-ENGINE_W0QQitemZ130346262367QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Commercial_Trucks?hash=item1e593e1f5f

Hmmmm I prefer something with a little more comfort!

ROG:
THIS HELP ?

Absolutely, it gives me an informed choice of tractor units weighing under 7.5 ton. Thank you

I’m not convinced this is a good idea unless you just want to drive a lorry.

onlinemotorhomes.com/used/de … iteid=1622

There is another one for 7500 bricks

When I was a kid, a bloke parked a bus near my house to convert it to a motorhome, he spent 3 years nailing bits of plywood together and then decided to try to get it through an MOT, it cost him a fortune

Wheel Nut:
I’m not convinced this is a good idea unless you just want to drive a lorry.

onlinemotorhomes.com/used/de … iteid=1622

There is another one for 7500 bricks

When I was a kid, a bloke parked a bus near my house to convert it to a motorhome, he spent 3 years nailing bits of plywood together and then decided to try to get it through an MOT, it cost him a fortune

Yes, I just want to drive a lorry although I do not want to drive for a living!

ROG:
THIS HELP ?

Looks like the MAN TGA 4x2 wins that one. Not great to drive tho, the ones where I work I refer to as “Lurch”.

Noticed a DAF Shunter in the yard at a HDNL depot this morning, sticker on the door said GVW 6000kg Unladen :slight_smile:

I’ve got a feeling the CF 430 4x2 Space is 6300kgs
IIRC the Hill Hire 01 vintage ones used to have that written on the back

I sold an ERF Olympic 4x2 on X plate in Feb this year, certain it was under 7 :open_mouth: was a great tramper, comfy, bombproof and reliable, that would be my choice :wink: Hell of a lot tidier than that old bus on eBay :imp: