Lightest Tractor Unit?

Hi all,

Looking to buy a truck and ive been told im better to get the lightest tractor unit as Im doing bulk work … So my question is whats lightest but still half descent ?

Cheers

luke40885:
Looking to buy a truck and ive been told im better to get the lightest tractor unit as Im doing bulk work … So my question is whats lightest but still half descent ?

What sort of money are you looking to spend, do you need to be LEZ compliant?

Paul

At a guess I would say a Renault Premium or Daf 85 would be about the lightest.

Euro 4 and above , Lez comp and probably anything up to 30K cheers

If you want the very lightest possible get a DAF CF with the small lift axle, if you get one with the high roof they’re not too bad a size inside.

Next lightest is probably a MAN TGS or TGX with the small lift axle.

The current generation of Premiums are fairly light but not as light as the pre-Volvo ones.

Personal preference does come into it as well, there’s no point driving a truck you hate just cos it’s 200kg lighter than one you like…

Paul

Harry Monk:

I had looked at a premium , one of the cheaper trucks but I quite like them

DAF XF space cab with the pusher axle are fairly light and you get loads of room.

luke40885:

Harry Monk:

I had looked at a premium , one of the cheaper trucks but I quite like them

Yes, I do, if you can get over the Badge Snobbery then they are as good as anything else. I may well buy one.

a plastic pig.

Scania with the 700bhp engine and as many light bars and air horns as possible

A daf 85 with small mid lift on ali wheels comes in at 7200 ish with a 300 ltr tank …I had one and is very recomended :smiley:

Just thought I remember when whitbread had there own fleet and use to have mercedes SK 1834 working at 38t with a tractor unit weight of 6000kgs they had a sibgle driver seat yes one and i mean one speaker, even the front lower bumper was off !! I imagine they even hired ex jockeys for them !!

Or you could get one of those half-cabbed things they are keen on in France.

We have a 510 cf, about 7.5 t ready to go, and it’s a good truck you just have to keep a close eye on the centre axle wheel bearings.

Weights are mad was talking to a mate who has just got a new Volvo fm 8 wheel tipper. Steel muck body full tank of derv and ad blue tares at 13160. Basic day cab and can’t even carry 19 ton.

Wouldn’t an aluminium body be much better for a tipper?

Heavy muck shifting concrete demo etc kills ally body’s

I think the lightest published chassis weight at the moment is an Axor 2443, with the 17.5" centre axle, next lightest DAF CF FTP only about 30kg between them. The Premium has put on quite a bit of weight recently since they started using all the Volvo bits, a better truck than it was, but no longer super-light.

I remember those Mercs of Whitbreads, 1733s actually, I seem to remember the weight saving went as far as removing some cross members and anti-roll bars, they supposedly weighed under 12 tonnes with an equally stripped down Don-Bur curtainsider.