Tractor unit weight?

Anyone know what an average tractor unit weighs?

Had a disagreement with another driver about the legalities of taking a tractor unit (only) through a 7.5 tonne weight limit. Can you or can’t you?

The 7.5 tonne weight limit applies to what you can carry, so arguably even if you drive a unit without a trailer it would be an 18 tonner, or 26 with a lift.

Average weight would be around 6 tonnes I think.

Sorry not if its a mega space cab
with a V.8 engine and a 500liter tank
you are talking 7.8tn–2 axled unit

Between 7 to 8 tonnes depending on 4x2/6x2/small cab/big cab, and no you can’t, unless its plated at 7.5 or less tonnes.

Rob K:
Had a disagreement with another driver about the legalities of taking a tractor unit (only) through a 7.5 tonne weight limit. Can you or can’t you?

You can’t, regardless of the weight of it. The weight limits are almost always the plated weight (or MGW) which for any tractor is going to be well over 7.5t (I guess 18t for 4x2 units and 20-something for 6x2 ones).

To answer your original questrion you’re looking at anywhere between 6700kg and 7600kg for a 4x2 and 7100kg and 8500kg for a 6x2 or thereabouts I would think (I’m vaguely guessing at those numbers though).

Paul

Interesting! Turns out I don’t know as much as I thought I did then!!! :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

I thought you would have been able to go through, as long as the actual weight of the unit didn’t exceed 7.5 tonnes, hence why it’s called a 7.5 tonne weight LIMIT. :confused:

Depends on the sign.
Some are axle weights. Some (old style) are max weight .Most of the new style ones are MAM so a solo tractor unit still clasifies as 44 tonnes (for example).
All are listed in highway code.

This might help Rob, straight from the horses mouth :wink:

[/quote]

As a point of interest, my tiny p-cabbed 4 series Scania weighed in at 7.5t unit only. The Stralis is 8.5t unit only. Both 6-leggers with lift axles, the Iveco is the space-cabbed version with twin-steer (both of which add weight).

Solo units are heavier than you would think.

All our units weigh over 7.5t . They get weighed on the weigh bridge individually . When you get on the bridge and talk to the little man on the speaker that prints the ticket . It gives you :
Unit weight
Trailer unladen weight
Weight on the trailer
Gross weight

If you think about it all these limits which use vehicle weight have to be based on MGW otherwise Policeman Plod would have to spend his days scampering up and down to the weighbridge with naughty drivers before he could nic them. This way all he needs to be able to do is read what it says on the plate. :wink:

disgo:
Depends on the sign.
Some are axle weights. Some (old style) are max weight .Most of the new style ones are MAM so a solo tractor unit still clasifies as 44 tonnes (for example).
All are listed in highway code.

On a pedantic note, the MAM of a tractor is actually likely to be between 18 and 26 tons, it’s the GTW (Gross Train Weight) that will be 38/44/whatever, so in most cases you would still be able to drive a solo 4x2 tractor through an 18T limit, for example.

Paul

Rob K:
Interesting! Turns out I don’t know as much as I thought I did then!!! :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

I thought you would have been able to go through, as long as the actual weight of the unit didn’t exceed 7.5 tonnes, hence why it’s called a 7.5 tonne weight LIMIT. :confused:

This as got to be saved for posterity, Rob actually admitting he doesn’t know something :wink: :laughing: :wink:

Hill Hire used to have some Red Renault Premium 4x2 Tractor’s that weighed in at 6.5t, with Speedline ally wheels and the smallest available ally tank, They then got some Utility curtainsiders that weighed in at 6050kg and put them out to Gunniess at Park Royal who loved them as they could get just over 27t on 5 axles.(obviously with it distributed right on the trailer)

my 164 580 is 10 ton when full of diesel its a 6 wheeler with 1400 litres on board