Tractor units approx 7.5t ?

Hi all, read on here recently that it is possible to drive a tractor unit with the fifth wheel removed on a car licence and as a lifelong enthusiast (I’m not in the trade) I was wondering if anyone knew of any ‘old school’ or ‘veteran’ trucks that would qualify at this weight preferably sleeper cab units. I was thinking about a scania 82, 93, fingers crossed but probably too heavy yet my fav a Volvo f10, failing that an ok’d merc sk maybe? I would love to do a replica of one of my favourite operators. Any info would be great, thanks for Reading.

Hi mate,
I’ve copied your post original from the Old Timers’ forum into here, because it has two distinct strands.
“Old school” and “veteran” followers are to be found where you originally posted, but you’ll also get good answers in here on the issues of weights and driving licence etc.
The original post is here: CLICK :arrow_right: Tractor units approx 7.5t? - OLD TIME LORRIES, COMPANIES AND DRIVERS (INTERACT - Trucknet UK dd. :wink:

harryvr6:
Hi all, read on here recently that it is possible to drive a tractor unit with the fifth wheel removed on a car licence and as a lifelong enthusiast (I’m not in the trade) I was wondering if anyone knew of any ‘old school’ or ‘veteran’ trucks that would qualify at this weight preferably sleeper cab units. I was thinking about a scania 82, 93, fingers crossed but probably too heavy yet my fav a Volvo f10, failing that an ok’d merc sk maybe? I would love to do a replica of one of my favourite operators. Any info would be great, thanks for Reading.

It’s not a question of removing the fifth wheel and that’s not necessary.

You can drive a unit with a car license if you can find one that weighs no more than 3.5 tonnes.

If you passed your driving test before 1st January 1997 you will probably have cat C1 on the license in which case you can drive vehicles up-to 7.5 tonnes.

As you are enquiring about what you can drive on a car license presumably you don’t have cat C1 ?

Hi,passed my car test in 93, so anything 7.5t is ok I presume, I don’t have any info about tractor weights, really interested as to what falls within this weight though.

You need to ask your MAM

direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr … DG_4022499