What's going on at Southampton docks ?- now with photo's

Was on my way down there last night when I got re-routed to Felixstowe…

Rumour mill claims they lost a crane and have since had the rest condemned by H&E :laughing:

Sounds like fun if true ?

That wouldn’t surprise me down there. SCT are all up their own arse anyway. :unamused:

From what i heard there was a crane accident. So far as i know others were checked and found to have stress cracks, So were put out of action until they are repaired.
Also not helping Pantalvers are moving there operation around so most work will come out of 103 i think.

Was told it was one of the ship to shore cranes which had fallen onto a boat. Wheather thats true or not I dont know…

Being based at FLX i wont be affected by any queue. :laughing: :unamused: :laughing:

Maybe this?

I love the Japanese… :wink:

Honda in the article linked above, after losing 600-1000 cars worth of production and having to shut down his facility and send the staff home until the parts appeared from whence they were diverted - in this case Amsterdam:
A spokesman for the Japanese-owned concern remarked: “The logistics of getting those parts to us were not so direct, shall we say.”

:sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

as for the crane going in the drink,yes it did.

knock on from it was a six hour wait to put loaded boxes that normally go to the berth, are being sent in to pentalvers loaded yard at 20 gate if they have the room?.

if not as was the case early in the week we waited for 6 hrs in the cruise terminal car park to go into 103 yard(old post office),only to be lifted off then into pre gate for box out.

as of friday night the restriction was still in place as they dont want boxes on the berth where the ship is 5 days or more away.

at one stage there were upto 4 boats waiting by the I.O.W to come in.

got the unenvieble task of going in there mon am to get fridays box off and a empty on, looking forward to at best 2-3 hr turnround.

as said before the joys of doing containers?

i suspect they will learn from this ,and dont put all the eggs in one basket.

you can only hope :open_mouth:

I was 6 hours getting a loaded box off and an empty one on at Pentalvers on Wednesday.

Got the mis-fortune of the loaded yard on Monday morning. :cry:
Hopefully with some of the boats being diverted,I will get to work out of Grain next week :smiley: ,but I wont hold my breath :frowning:

Thanks guys, do we know what the currents state of play is ?

Sounds like it’s going to be another lean week for me as we rely on Sotton for our work…

Did about 30 hrs last week, most of which spent in the bunk :unamused:

The crane fell into a ship not the “drink”

Honda production re-commenced at 1100 on Thurs morning !!!
Accident was on Wednesday…!!! reported here some 72hrs later… ■■?

Honda got their “shop” in order thanks to 3rd party’s…!!!

Unlucky those who are in the wrong job…!!!

I know it’s a bit late but as an ex crane op, any thought given to him/her??

uvox82:
Was told it was one of the ship to shore cranes which had fallen onto a boat. Wheather thats true or not I dont know…

Being based at FLX i wont be affected by any queue. :laughing: :unamused: :laughing:

Uvox - not wanting to appear cheeky, but since when was Colchester in Suffolk?? :open_mouth:

I bet that made some racket when it came down .

chorcheela:

uvox82:

Uvox - not wanting to appear cheeky, but since when was Colchester in Suffolk?? :open_mouth:

Good call buddy, Ive moved back from FLX recently and didnt notice that when i changed my profile, no wonder i keep getting lost.

chorcheela:

uvox82:

Sounds like he is a Transport Manager or some other kind of office bod. :wink: :smiley:

al owen:
I know it’s a bit late but as an ex crane op, any thought given to him/her??

Apparently the safety harness saved the crane op from injury…

Though a big claim could be on it’s way :smiley:

update on this accident

it now transpires that the crane was lifting a box with 30 tons inside that had not been released from the locks. the crane driver gave it some wellie and this is the result. a internal enquiery is now under way as to why the southampton dock unloading teams instucted a box to be lifted that had not been unsecured ■■?

this info has come from deep within soton docks as did the photos :laughing: :wink: :wink:

Very good photo’s and pleased the crane operator is ok.

nice little weighin for some tatter !