Southampton docks.

Hi all,
Off to Southampton docks for the first time Monday, can anyone give me an idiots guide to the place like where to go and what to do etc?
Are the cranes and procedure for getting the boxes loaded/lifted like Felixstowe or completely different?
Thanks.
:smiley:

take food water clothes and PLENTY of reading material

So it wont be a flying visit then? :laughing: :unamused:

uvox82:
idiots guide

Errr…that would be Lucy then,

in the nicest possible context. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

uvox82:
idiots guide

Krankee:
Errr…that would be Lucy then,

You’re brave!! :open_mouth:

Krankee:
in the nicest possible context. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

…and I don’t think that’ll get you out of it!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: :wink:

Thanks Ken…for that you’re NOT fired… :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing: :laughing:

I haven’t been down there for a couple of years, but I doubt much has changed. If no-one with more recent experience comes forward I’ll tell you what I know/knew.

On a positive note, you’ve missed the worst of it…I was in the infamous 2-day queue up the M271 a few years ago…it was good fun, but none of us subbies earnt much… :open_mouth: :cry: :wink:

Depends on where you have to go! If you have to collect/deliver to Pentalvers then they have 2 yards, first one is on the right as you go in, this is their loaded yard, the other one is about half way down the docks and is the empty yard.

If you just have to go to the container terminal then as you go in past security turn left and the pre-gate is on the left, you should have a VBS number given to you already, drive up to the barrier, enter your vehicle reg and VBS number, it will then tell you which transfer area you are going to go to, get in that line after the barrier, 1 and 2 are to the left(ish) 3 is over to the right. Then drive up to the little portacabin (if there are no other wagons), see the guys inside and give seal numbers etc, they will give you some paperwork which will tell you what transfer areas you need. Drive out and either turn right for areas 1&2 or left for area 3. Follow signs to correct area, tap in reg at barrier and follow directions on screen as to your slot number. Reverse into slot, making sure twist locks are undone before you enter slot. When straddle is behind you they toot and you have to get out of motor. Then drive to little hut on your way out (at the end of the slots) and enter your reg again, then press (i think this bit is right) 1 for shipping line seal, then enter seal number and drive to exit, enter reg again and hand one of the copies of the paperwork you were given at the pregate to the security on way out of dock.

The above was correct as of 3 weeks ago, but they keep changing the system down there so don’t hold me to the above!!!

Hope it helps :wink:

I was in and out of there in 30 mins today,Place was like a ghost town,work is very slack.

If you have to go to Pentalvers you might be looking at a 1-2 hour queue :unamused:

System in Southampton in my opinion is a lot better than Felixstowe,and it works a bit better than it did as they improved the VBS system last summer.

alix776:
take food water clothes and PLENTY of reading material

Southampton has had a very bad rep in the past, but we have had no problems there for ages (and we run in and out of there all the time).
The above is pretty much correct, Pentalvers have several yards other thaqn the ones stated but they are the main two. Make sure you take some form of ID with you, preferably photo ID as you may be acosted by the security teams on the area gates, ussually a quick external search of unit/ Trailer, but can involve a pat down check of the driver. Pentalvers empty yards can be a real nightmare, with ques running into miles at times, monday morning and friday afternoon being particualy bad.
Who are you going in for?

Lucy:
Thanks Ken…for that you’re NOT fired… :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing: :laughing:

â– â– â– â– .

Another cunning ploy thwarted.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Assume all your directions are taking him in via Dockgate 20 :smiley:

Lucy…SMcaul is spot on…if your not sure what gate to go in…travel to the bottom of the M271…turn left…keep in the left hand lane.(down the side of the flyover) at the first roundabout…turn right…over the bridge turn left at the security barrier.and follow the instructions of SMcaul.
good luck

Sorry Trucky, you’re talking to the wrong person. I ran out of SCT for several years, so am unfortunately more than capable of finding my way there and in…the M271 reference was because that was where the queue for gate 20 began, in those fateful days in 2002!!! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :cry: :cry: :cry:

glad to say that every time i have gone in there it is normally empty or very quiet at the moment,the container que is now in Rank’s or Meyers as both seem around 3 hrs to tip or load(meyers) :imp:
use the docks everyday, so now is a good time to find your way round before it gets busy :smiley:
best of luck on monday