What you need to take on the road

This has been covered before I think but I can’t seem to find the post. Could anybody point me in the right direction of what is required by the driver to take with him when he’s out in a truck on an average day and also an over nighter.

Any help would be most welcome.

I have proven to myself that all you really need is steel toe boots, hi viz, licence, digi card, previous 28 days tachos

Optional extras include a pen, money, maps, sat nav, food, phone, gloves and clean undies,socks,shirt, toothbrush, soap, towel for an overnite
any thing else is up to you

I just do daytimes to and from the same yard, so my needs are limited:

PPE: Steelies, Hi-Viz (vest/jacket depending on season), Gloves, Hard Hat, waterproofs (optional but I’ve been caught out too often).

Tacho: Last 28 days records, digicard, spare paper roll for digital tacho and spare paper discs for analogue.

General: Licence (both parts), A-Z, phone (plus charger), sunglasses, pen, flask and packed lunch (cheaper and healthier than buying during day), baby wipes.

I carry tons of crap with me.

aswell as the usual hard hat, hi viz, gloves etc
i also carry, waterproofs, screwdrivers, snips, pliers zip ties, insulating tape, dash wipes, baby wipes,
tons of pens, phone chargers sat nav, maps. licenses, cpc card, tachos

oh and lunch

and it’s tempting to leave most of it at home as the bag is ■■■■ heavy, but all of the above has come in handy. if i knew i’d be in the same wagon everyday, then i’d leave it all in the cab, but I could be in a different wagon the next day.

It’s also a legal requirement that you have a mobile phone and a credit/debit card.

Coffeeholic:
It’s also a legal requirement that you have a mobile phone and a valid credit/debit card.

Dont forget the £50 cash you have to carry for emergencies. I got caught out by VOSA once with this, never again.

andi_cardiff:

Coffeeholic:
It’s also a legal requirement that you have a mobile phone and a valid credit/debit card.

Dont forget the £50 cash you have to carry for emergencies. I got caught out by VOSA once with this, never again.

That rule has been replaced by the credit/debit card, cash is so last year.

Coffeeholic:

andi_cardiff:

Coffeeholic:

I think you need to recheck the rule book, even if you have a valid credit/debit card you MUST carry £50 cash due to many places being unable to accept card payments.

Cheers guys, most useful. I will have to get things sorted then. Most of the stuff I have, but for baby wipes :wink:

andi_cardiff:

Coffeeholic:

andi_cardiff:

Coffeeholic:

I think you need to recheck the rule book, even if you have a valid credit/debit card you MUST carry £50 cash due to many places being unable to accept card payments.

Is this rule for ALL drivers, or just long distance? The only time I have £50 spare is the first two days after payday!! :open_mouth:

mcc46 - I get supermarket own label “value” ones: usually less than 20p for 100 (the unscented ones are better, unless you’re a girl).

Pumpkin:

andi_cardiff:

Coffeeholic:

andi_cardiff:

Coffeeholic:

Is this rule for ALL drivers, or just long distance? The only time I have £50 spare is the first two days after payday!! :open_mouth:

All drivers of commercial vehicles.

mcc46 - I get supermarket own label “value” ones: usually less than 20p for 100 (the unscented ones are better, unless you’re a girl).
[/quote]
I never would of guessed :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Times is tuff you know so 20p is value for money.

Cheers

dont forget these essential tools

andi_cardiff:

Coffeeholic:

andi_cardiff:

Coffeeholic:

Where is this rule book exactly? I only ask as one place I worked for last week had a policy saying drivers shouldn’t carry more than a certain amount in cash, and it certainly wasn’t 50 quid.

Scarab:

andi_cardiff:

Coffeeholic:

andi_cardiff:

Coffeeholic:

Where is this rule book exactly? I only ask as one place I worked for last week had a policy saying drivers shouldn’t carry more than a certain amount in cash, and it certainly wasn’t 50 quid.

Exactly, that is why a credit/debit card is now regarded as sufficient to meet the legal requirements.

Coffeeholic:
It’s also a legal requirement that you have a mobile phone and a credit/debit card.

UPDATED ON 3/5/2011
Paypal account holders who can send payments from there mobile fone are no longer required to carry credit/debit cards.

Skype account holders with a laptop and a working dongle in there cab do not need to carry a mobile fone.

Coffeeholic:

Do you a link for this law?

205:

Coffeeholic:

UPDATED ON 3/5/2011
Paypal account holders who can send payments from there mobile fone are no longer required to carry credit/debit cards.

Skype account holders with a laptop and a working dongle in there cab do not need to carry a mobile fone.

Good to know, thanks for the update.

Coffeeholic:

205:

Coffeeholic:

UPDATED ON 3/5/2011

Good to know, thanks for the update.

Cheers for the update, glad I got my dongle earlier as my mobile has run out!

:unamused: :laughing: