A newbie kit

O.K so when I pass test guna try get some agency work for experiance, so will not have a regulr truck that I will be using, can anyone suggest what us newbies should bring with us.
Also what should the truck have by law - eg first aid kit, fire extinguisher etc.

Are you required to wear steel toe caps for driving - I presume yes for unloading due to health and safety - or is this up to employer.

cheers

mike97:
O.K so when I pass test guna try get some agency work for experiance, so will not have a regulr truck that I will be using, can anyone suggest what us newbies should bring with us.
Also what should the truck have by law - eg first aid kit, fire extinguisher etc.

Are you required to wear steel toe caps for driving - I presume yes for unloading due to health and safety - or is this up to employer.

cheers

Not too many vehicles will be fitted with first aid kits or fire extinguishers.

You’ll need safety boots and a hi viz if you’re doing agency work, you’ll also need a good road atlas.

But to be honest if I were you I would concentrate on passing the test first.

Good luck :wink:

Different people carry different things, i carry:

UK Atlas
TomTom
Bog Roll :blush: :wink:
Clipboard
Digi Tacho Instruction Manual
Notepad
Diary
Lots of pens
Headache Tablets
Tablets for the runs, in case of emergency :blush:
Torch
Tacho’s
Timesheets
Timer
Tape Measure
Calculator
Gloves

I also carry bluetooth headset + charger, mobile + charger, Ipod with radio tuner + charger, ■■■■ and more than 1 lighter, food and drink.

It may sound a lot but it all fits in a backpack easily with room for a book to read.

You’ll also need as a minimum steel toe cap boots and a Hi-Vis vest.

Also think about a decent warm/waterproof coat and a hat to keep your head warm :wink:

I’m probably over kill as i like my creature comforts but some driver do literally turn up in the clothes there wearing so don’t worry about it too much

Good luck with learning :wink:

Will try and remember what I carry, some of it is probably job specific, but the basics are all the same.

Steel toe boots
Hi-vis vest + bomber jacket(for wet/cold) + Hat for wet/cold
Pens
LED keychain torch
Cheap Leatherman style multitool (screwdrivers, knife, pliars etc)
7.5m Tape measure
Rigger gloves for trailer changes/vehicle checks
Rubber gloves for refuelling
Cheap £1 gloves for opening trailer doors, pallett breakdown, and general wearing (I have far too many gloves :confused: )
Large AA Bridge Height map (for route planning)
Small map (for quick reference)
Couple of spare bulbs (least there was)
Spare Blade fuses
Decent Organiser wallet to hold clipboard, printed maps, timebook, tachographs, pens etc
Diary for logging vehicle reg, locations, times, breaks, driving hours etc etc
Laptop with satnav (so I don’t die of boredom during those long waits and incase my maps fail me, or I get an unplanned drop mid-run with no detail maps)

all the answers above :smiley: before i started driving not that long ago i was told you will start with a small holdall which will increase to a medium size then large as time goes on then eventually you realize you are lugging gear around that never sees the light of day you then take out all the gear
you will need in the small holdall so its full circle back to the small holdall only to realize the gear you didnt think you will need is back home in the dark recesses of the storage area in my case the shed never to be found again
and you buy gear that you think you need but dont hope this makes sense im confused now :smiley: :smiley:

eg first aid kit, fire extinguisher etc.

By law these items are only required on Passenger Service Vehicles. anything required by law will probably be already fitted to the truck.

Personally I just take my handbag. It’s all I have ever needed for short haul.

Mothertrucker:

I must remember that :unamused: - only take my handbag :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

ROG:

Mothertrucker:

I must remember that :unamused: - only take my handbag :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

What if your safety shoes don`t match your handbag though Rog :laughing: :laughing:

russjp:

ROG:

Mothertrucker:

What if your safety shoes don`t match your handbag though Rog :laughing: :laughing:

Lots of black handbags out there :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: