What to do???

Hi all, Well as you might know I passed my C+E about 2 weeks ago and i’ve been looking for work. I’m a Skip driver at the moment and although it isn’t bad money I really want to drive an artic, today I phoned where my mate works and got my self an interview but now i’ve got one i’m so scared about being away all week from my family. So do you think i’m mad to leave the job i’m in?? And can anyone tell me how there first time was and how you got over finding places?
dave

It’s not easy going into tramping work when you’ve got a family, I’m on my second stint of it now as the money on day work locally compared to where I am makes it an easy choice as we need more money at the minute and it suits us better as the house has a better routine with me not there waking them up at 4am or coming in at 7 pm and needing dinner and rest etc. Only you know if you want to have a crack at it, it can be horrible at times but I enjoy it better then general and being at home, and it’s more a way of life. I’ve never had a 9-5 job so can’t compare it, finding places can be hard but I check here on search bar ie parking Swansea and low and behold there’ll be a thread on it and it’s worked wonders so far :smiley: also as your mate works there you can ask him, word of mouth is good as you also get told where not to park.
You have to be more careful with your hours to and keep a close eye on em, if I hadn’t checked today I’d of been off to Wales tonight till sat and gone into 100 odd hours over 2 weeks so I’m now gonna be staying around 88 which gives me 46 next week etc.
If you do do it and don’t like it what will you do? How will you pay the bills? How long will you give it? As it could get very hard to start with while you adjust, how does the mrs feel about it? etc etc build up a good idea and then decide, find out how money compares to. My mrs said I couldn’t tramp again, then I told her my money would go up from about 300 a week take home to 460-550 take home and she more or less packed my bags :laughing:
Good luck

Thanks for the info when you say about the hour’s is it driving time or driving and work? and my mate likes it but he’s single so he don’t understand .

Bigdave:
Thanks for the info when you say about the hour’s is it driving time or driving and work?

Ollie was referring to just the driving time as 90 hours of driving is the maximum in any two consecutive weeks