New C+E driver, no jobs!

Now, I was told before I did C+E training that ‘there’s plenty of jobs’ out there for class 1 drivers, even the newly qualified ones!
Currently the situation is so bad that I’m considering signing on…not out of want but need. Is the situation the same for everyone else, surely it can’t just be me!

Also, because I’m a relatively young driver (even though I’ve got 3 yrs exp. on class 2 stuff) my age seems to work against me. The most common response I get is ‘must be 25 for insurance reasons’ or ‘must have 2 yrs experience’. How am I supposed to get experience on C+E when nowhere will give me a start?

Sorry to go on but I don’t know where to turn at the moment, it’s very frustrating.

Thanks all.

Hi ScannyJacko

Unfortunalty ive been told that work is very slow this time of year, and ive certainly noticed it too. Luckily ive found full time employment, but it wasnt easy thats for sure. A heck of a lot of knock backs etc when going into places with CV etc.

As far as agencies are concered, ive had 2 calls in the last 2-3 weeks and ive driven for them all before, but luckily got into a job in time. But its deffinatly dead out their mate, really is. I thought about signing on too as things got that bad, not a nice feeling tho, i know.

The whole 25 for insurance thing alWays comes up. Im 23 and passed my class 1 before christmas, and as expected, no one will give me a look in, so your not on your own mate. Best thing to do is just get out there with your CV’s, look smart and try and sell yourself.

Where are you based?

All the best.
Ben

Hi Guys
yea things are real slow at the moment but I have been told by all the agents that things will pick up in feb
most of the full time jobs i look at are to many miles away from blackpool so im stuck with the agents at the moment … :frowning: but its veriaty eh :laughing:

Hi there ScannyJacko!

Don’t give up mate. If you knock on enough doors and ask enough people you will eventually find something. I have been in a very similar situation. I got my cat C back in 2004 but decided to upgrade to C+E just before xmas. I failed a few times, but finally by middle of January I was the proud owner of a new cat C+E on my licence! :sunglasses: Of course that was the easy part done and the hard part was to actually get someone to give me a chance to put it to some use! :unamused:

For the past few months I have just been doing the odd days or nights through a few agencies, but I have constantly asked around and contacted many companies (whether they were advertising or not) to give me a chance and I really do believe that when you have no experience, you need to be showing your face at ‘just the right time’ in order to be given that chance. And it has worked for me! I have been offered a job today by a local company, so it can be done mate. :sunglasses: Don’t give up asking around!

I did actually get a job doing just that the first time around, but just as quickly as I got the job, they made me Redundant before Christmas. I’m based in Bournemouth in Dorset so Southampton Docks aren’t too far away for container work and there’s a few local firms running bulk tippers but I’ve tried them all, it’s just really disheartening when everyone says no vacancies or try again in a couple of months time. Like you say though, it really isn’t what you know…it’s who you know. Also of course being in the right place at the right time is a massive help. Just waiting for that bit of luck I suppose.

Thanks for your replies.

Not sure who told you there were loads of jobs but that is not quite true as Jan/Feb are normally the worst time of the year to be looking

A lot of people are seeing that you can earn upto 40k per yr driving & are loads of jobs but as a lot of places are closing or are slowing down with things let us think about it how are we supposed to deliver goods that are not being bought :question:

Sorry to say but employers do have there pick of drivers as there are a lot of experienced & inexperienced out there of all age groups