What to do?

Hi all, wondering what to do now I have my class 2 but still no driving job. I have a full time job at the moment as a carpenter so do I jack it in and go for agency work, or see if an agency can give me work at weekends when Im off to gain a bit of experience? Will be doing class 1 soon as thats what I really want to do. How have others managed to make the break from their old careers?

kg1979:
Hi all, wondering what to do now I have my class 2 but still no driving job. I have a full time job at the moment as a carpenter so do I jack it in and go for agency work, or see if an agency can give me work at weekends when Im off to gain a bit of experience? Will be doing class 1 soon as thats what I really want to do. How have others managed to make the break from their old careers?

I don’t know your circumstances but unless you can afford to be out of work I wouldn’t chuck in a regular job for agency work, well not until you’re established with an agency and getting regular work off them anyway.

Sign up with some agencies and try to do some HGV driving at weekends to gain some experience, you’ll also earn some extra money to pay for your cat C+E training.

Thanks for your reply. Are agencies normally willing to give new guys weekend work only?

I would say continue doing the job you’ve got just now. I suppose it depends on you personal circumstances if you hate you’re job or not, and if you can afford to be out of work for any length of time.

I don’t know what shifts ect you do, but couldn’t you try getting part time agency work and continue your current job till you find the job you want.

I’m probably not the best to give advice on this subject though, as I quit my job at xmas as a master technician and mot tester with mon-fri hours and £40k a year. I was just desperate to get out the motor trade :cry:
I Passed my C test a month ago but have not even looked at jobs yet as I’ve got my C+E booked for 2nd of March and booked my ADR for end of February to fill the gap and hopefully make me more employable. I do have
a background in transport though as my father was a haulage contractor 35 years till he retired, I worked for him for 10 years from 1990-2000 as a mechanic and was always shunting and loading trucks hopefully it counts
for something when I start applying for jobs.

Best to do whatever you thinks best for you mate.

kg1979:
Thanks for your reply. Are agencies normally willing to give new guys weekend work only?

It’s a case of finding an agency that has a contract they can send you on, but that’s the same regardless of whether you go full time or part time.

IME agencies are far more likely to be needing drivers at the weekend. I know at our place half of the agency drivers who are scheduled for Saturdays don’t turn up and its a frantic call around various agencies to get drivers-SHARPISH!!!

Amazing how many ‘incidents/childcare problems/illness etc’ happen between Friday night and Saturday morning lol.

Think I`ll ring a couple of local agencies and see what they say about weekend work. :slight_smile: Thanks all

Stick to your full time job, don’t jack it for agency work its too unpredictable with all sorts of broken promises & unreliability attached generally. If they are willing to give you odd days of work thats suits you then thats great, you’ll gain experience. Maybe there is a local company that may give you odd days weekend delivery work , you could go & ask.