Need some advice

iam in a bit of a situation and need some help iam 21 and passed my class 2 4 months ago done all my cpc but cant find any work or people wont take me on becuase of my age and iam thinking of doing my class 1 but iam just worried if iam gunna be stuck in the same situation and do some big compaines take on newly passed class one driver like eddie stobart at averly or tdg any advice would be great thanks danny

Hopefully things will start moveing now on the runn up to Christmas so keep trying the agencies & other places too. Dont give up you just have to keep trying until you get something, good luck :wink:

cheers mate i didnt think it would be this hard but i was wrong do u think its worth doing my class 1

bonnie lass:
Hopefully things will start moveing now on the runn up to Christmas so keep trying the agencies & other places too. Dont give up you just have to keep trying until you get something, good luck :wink:

Why not go for your C+E , youve come this far -had the training, once youve got it you can look out for other jobs (more opportunities). You’r only young now so you have the rest of your life to build a good career for yourself . :smiley:

do u think its worth doing my class 1

Generally , yes. Employers are a strange bunch. They get nervous setting on a brand new driver. But they will look kindly on a recently qualified person often to drive a lower class - eg Cat C. The secret is to try and get a start with a mixed class fleet. That way, you can start on Cat C and, one day, the CE driver will go sick and there’s your chance to shine. From there, assuming you’ve done a good job on CE, you’re in a position to negotiate with the gaffer.

So, if you can afford it, do your Class 1 (CE) but don’t expect £700 per week driving a shiny new Scania as soon as you pass.

All the best with it. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Yes it is worth going for your C+E now but as has been said you may have to sign on with agency & take a lower class but part of your prob is your age due to insurance as they dont like taking on under 25 but you will still have your licence then & will have held it for more than 2 years

If you sign on with an agency or 3 & they offer you van work then consider it as it will give you some practical driving experience and route planing as your day will come when they need a driver as where I am although they do have 7.5t they wont take anybody that dosent have Cat C or above so if you had cat C+E you might have a chance & yes it is through an agency so will take new drivers not sure about the under 21 tbh

Good luck & dont give up you have time on your side

Print off lots of copies of ur CV, put down any van work or anything at all in relation to distribution and logistics. Book a day off work, fill ur car up with a full tank of petrol, take ur high vis, gloves, boots, maps with u and drive round every haulage company within a 30 mile radius and see the TM face to face and sign on with every agency in your area. The worst that could happen is they say no. Prepared to get knock backs and frustrated but there will be a chance somewhere.

Getting your class 1 will help aswell as if an employer runs artics and rigids u wont be limited to what u can drive. I turned 22 couple of months ago and ive been with my company about 8 months now, done my licenses back to back last year. Been driving a rigid on my daily route but do the odd artic trunk run now and then. Is it possible mate.

nice one mate well ive been out of work for 2 months so thought i would do my class 1 see if that helps as i was a scaffolder by trade but dont want to do it no more

FarnboroughBoy11:
Print off lots of copies of ur CV, put down any van work or anything at all in relation to distribution and logistics. Book a day off work, fill ur car up with a full tank of petrol, take ur high vis, gloves, boots, maps with u and drive round every haulage company within a 30 mile radius and see the TM face to face and sign on with every agency in your area. The worst that could happen is they say no. Prepared to get knock backs and frustrated but there will be a chance somewhere.

Getting your class 1 will help aswell as if an employer runs artics and rigids u wont be limited to what u can drive. I turned 22 couple of months ago and ive been with my company about 8 months now, done my licenses back to back last year. Been driving a rigid on my daily route but do the odd artic trunk run now and then. Is it possible mate.

tomsd1989:
iam in a bit of a situation and need some help iam 21 and passed my class 2 4 months ago done all my cpc but cant find any work or people wont take me on becuase of my age and iam thinking of doing my class 1 but iam just worried if iam gunna be stuck in the same situation and do some big compaines take on newly passed class one driver like eddie stobart at averly or tdg any advice would be great thanks danny

Hi mate
im only 21 aswell i was in the same boat as you untill last week, i rang agency for a job with no experience etc but i got a break within a month of passing. all i can say is keep ringing round every monday morning @ 9:00am! ( you will have to be over keen with the average agency as most will get you signed up and then not ring you back) tell the agencies you are willing to drive anything from a class C down to a car and someone will give you a break ! i was lucky because the boss of the agency has 30 odd years of driving behind him, so he is fully aware of what a newbie is like, i can only advise you to look round the LGV training companys that have an agency as part of their company. also try companys with a mixed size fleet of trucks, this is what i did so i hope it works for you aswell. Good Look and dont give up :smiley:

Keep your chin up and keep at it. It’s a numbers game.

Click below for some useful advice

hgvlgvtraining.co.uk/blog/20 … iving-job/

Hi Danny
If you are any where around the Leicester area I may be able to help Call or PM me.
All the best Rick

cheers fellas for the advice booked my class for next week cant wait

Good luck for next week tomsd1989, & come back and tell us all how you get on :smiley: