Finding first job?

Hi guys.I had really big problem and I need some good advice.I passed my class 2 in april and cpc practical as well and I started to look for agencies.I phoned every class 2 job agency advertisements on jobcentre plus web site and all of them asked me how long you held your licence how much experience you got?
I said i just passed my test and looking for a job to get experience and they said sorry minimum 1 year experience needed some said 6 months then I asked how can I get experience if nobody give me job?They just said ah I know but insurence policy!!!

I spent nearly £2000 for class 2 training and nobody give me a job???Also I went to class 1 training and and failed 2 times and spent another £1600 I cant go for it anymore couse no money to do it.I have to get some agency job to get extra money for it:(

I dont know how to do it?please some advise Im living in Edinburgh.
cheers…

Welcome to Trucknet-UK berk (that seems so impolite :confused: ) :wink:

It’s mostly hard for new drivers to get a break but many do as some of the posts on this forum will show, the first thing you should do in my opinion is stop waiting for agencies to advertise cat C jobs and register with them even if they’re not advertising.

When you’ve registered with an agency phone them regularly to see if they have any work for you.

What sometimes happens is that an agency will be desperate for a driver at short notice because someone has let them down, gone sick or not turned up for a job for whatever reason so with luck you get the call, but if they haven’t got your number they’re not going to call :wink:

I’m sure there are people here from the Edinburgh area who will be able to advise you on the best places to try.

Good luck :wink:

Another idea would be to speak to all the drivers you see and ask if any jobs going at the place they work at , im afraid its a numbers game but the more chances you give yourself the better so get rid of any shyness and go in with head head up and ask everyone for a job someones gotta say yes eventually go for it and good luck with finding a job :smiley:
Jx

WELCOME

I am curious - What were you told about jobs for newbies before you paid out for the training?

As tachograph said, sign up with some agencies, and call them everyday. If they give you van jobs, then consider taking them, don’t be too fussy otherwise someone else will take what could have been your pay. So far I’ve been with an agency (just the one) for 3 weeks roughly, they know I have class 2 (but lack the experience like you) and I keep reminding them of it each time they call. I’ve had work constantly and they ring me now. It’s all about building a rapport with the agency, if you work with them then they will be more helpful to you in giving you that elusive break on a class 2 vehicle.

berk:
Hi guys.I had really big problem and I need some good advice.I passed my class 2 in april and cpc practical as well and I started to look for agencies.I phoned every class 2 job agency advertisements on jobcentre plus web site and all of them asked me how long you held your licence how much experience you got?
I said i just passed my test and looking for a job to get experience and they said sorry minimum 1 year experience needed some said 6 months then I asked how can I get experience if nobody give me job?They just said ah I know but insurence policy!!!

I spent nearly £2000 for class 2 training and nobody give me a job???Also I went to class 1 training and and failed 2 times and spent another £1600 I cant go for it anymore couse no money to do it.I have to get some agency job to get extra money for it:(

I dont know how to do it?please some advise Im living in Edinburgh.
cheers…

try removal companys/dhl /bakery hovis/royal mail /

Thanks for answers guys.I did mostly what you all advise to me basicly.Sent them cv phone them regularly but didnt work.I’m working in a warehouse and see so many drivers all day and lots of them gave me their agancies number spoke agency guys for me but end of the day one answer from them how much experience you have?

I knew its gonna be difficult to find first job but i never guessed this much…only hope for christmas time I will get some shifts couse lots of driver told me agencies are mental to find driver in christmas time.

cheers…

Even if they ring with a van job dont turn it down as if you prove you will work that day will come when they desperate for a class 2 driver and if you have proved to be good worker they will more likely to give it to you then your away ,
jx

berk:
I knew its gonna be difficult to find first job but i never guessed this much…only hope for christmas time I will get some shifts couse lots of driver told me agencies are mental to find driver in christmas time.

cheers…

During the next few weeks hopefully things will get busy in the run-up to Christmas and that’s the time you’re most likely to get work, so get them applications in to the agencies.

Good luck :wink:

Hello Berk
Read my post dont give up mate … saw a job that said expeariance in tipping stone /tarmac only nead apply :unamused: but i still phoned them was upfront only passed C in july and was offered a chance to do 3 nights training ( no pay) only did two nights training and was offered a job on nihts at £12 hr … so it just goes to proove that it can be done if you try … :laughing: Oh by the way i Just failed CE 2nd time but im not giving up yet … best of luck just apply for everything you see and you may get a shock :wink:
Regards Roy

Hi Berk

I have a few suggestions that might help.

1. You didn’t say if you have a digital tacho card but you will need one so get that sorted or you might be turning work down.

2. I am not suggesting lying but you could tell the agencies you have been doing casual work or other agency work miles away since April (perhaps London). Just find the names of a few agencies or firms and give them.

3. Try getting some business cards printed (you can get 250 free from Vistaprint) John Smith - Professional Freelance LGV driver - Fully CPC Qualified etc. Give these out to transport managers, agencies, other drivers etc

Sometimes you have to think outside the box to get that important 1st chance

Regards

John
Flair Training

Get registered with Manpower they have a big office at Grangemouth and do some R.M. work also Driver Hire have a place in Edinburgh there is also NAS at Livingstone register with them all and let us know what happens.

YAMBOL57:
Hello Berk
Read my post dont give up mate … saw a job that said expeariance in tipping stone /tarmac only nead apply :unamused: but i still phoned them was upfront only passed C in july and was offered a chance to do 3 nights training ( no pay) only did two nights training and was offered a job on nihts at £12 hr … so it just goes to proove that it can be done if you try … :laughing: Oh by the way i Just failed CE 2nd time but im not giving up yet … best of luck just apply for everything you see and you may get a shock :wink:
Regards Roy

thanks mate,good to hear that kind of stories:)its really good idea to offer them 2 3 days trial working for nothing and prove myself that I can drive this bloody vehicle.I will definatly do this.sorry about your class 1.I failed with 2 minor last time and 1 serius its 5 cm. over the kerb in a roundabout.thats happens its all about your lucky day or not:)

alamcculloch:
Get registered with Manpower they have a big office at Grangemouth and do some R.M. work also Driver Hire have a place in Edinburgh there is also NAS at Livingstone register with them all and let us know what happens.

cheers mate I spoke to nas rec. driver hire both says “experience” but I didnt register manpower I will do it.Hopefully christmas time they will give me some shifts.somebody told me during chri stmas period agencies are so short for drivers and they even phone to training companies for just passed drivers.fingers crossed…

LGVTrainer:
Hi Berk

I have a few suggestions that might help.

1. You didn’t say if you have a digital tacho card but you will need one so get that sorted or you might be turning work down.

2. I am not suggesting lying but you could tell the agencies you have been doing casual work or other agency work miles away since April (perhaps London). Just find the names of a few agencies or firms and give them.

3. Try getting some business cards printed (you can get 250 free from Vistaprint) John Smith - Professional Freelance LGV driver - Fully CPC Qualified etc. Give these out to transport managers, agencies, other drivers etc

Sometimes you have to think outside the box to get that important 1st chance

Regards

John
Flair Training

Cheers mate.I’ve got digi tacho as well and I wrote it in my cv.Lots of drivers told me make some lies I had some work experience but if I tell them lie then they can ask me prove it give me reference and if I cant prove they will never give me job and I’m pretty sure they can easly notice different between experience and non experince driver.
thanks for advise mate.

it can easily be done, i passed mine in april, once the license came in the post i got a temp job from week 1. the very next week i got a full time job in another company doing class 2. done that for 2 months and got in another company. easier work and i like the company and good money. it can be done but dont sit and wait for agencies i signed with 1 agency but sent cvs off to every company i could think of that had trucks.

alot of food multidrop companies take on 1st tiem drivers as there normally despearate and gives you experience.

Berk.

You will find a job dont worry but dont lower yourself to work for free.

working for free is disgusting and should be illegal I dont care what people say about it gets you a job it is worth it … if your that desperate to get out of your job go drive a bus for a year.

When I passed my test I got a job straight away well within 1st week as I picked up the yellow pages and asked every company then when I passed my C+E I had job lined up with a container company …

If you want the work the harder you look you will find.

Hi Again Berk
Disco man is right dont offer to work for free I did two nights Training because I had never driven an 8 wheel tipper never mind tipped in to a tarmac laying machine whilst moving :open_mouth: i wasnt worried about tipping stone …but lol i made shure that I said after 2nd night I think I should be ok now when he phoned me to say russel who trained me said i was ready for payed work :smiley: … Best of luck mate :smiley:

I got a permanent full time job within 4 weeks of passing my CE. I visited companies in person, took everything I needed - CV, licence, DQC, digi card, hi vis, boots etc and I was completely honest about my total lack of commercial driving experience. The director of the company I now work for said one of the reasons he took me on was because I was honest and upfront and that impressed him more than if I’d gone in trying to blag it with a load of lies.

SmashedCrabFace:
I got a permanent full time job within 4 weeks of passing my CE. I visited companies in person, took everything I needed - CV, licence, DQC, digi card, hi vis, boots etc and I was completely honest about my total lack of commercial driving experience. The director of the company I now work for said one of the reasons he took me on was because I was honest and upfront and that impressed him more than if I’d gone in trying to blag it with a load of lies.

Ditto the above!
When I passed my test just over 5 years ago, I went to local hauliers asking if they had any jobs going. The response from most was something along the lines of “come back when you know what you’re doing”. Yes, this gets disheartening, but you only need to find one that has the faith to give you a chance (or is desperate enough cos they have a lorry parked up and no driver :laughing: ) Make the most of that chance, be willing to learn, be flexible and work hard. I have now been working for my boss for 5 years, I drive a 6 wheeler tarmac/aggregate tipper. I have our best lorry and I love my job, but most satisfying is when the ones who told me to come back when I had some experience now try to persuade me to go and work for them and I can say no thank you!