WH Smith’s atlas

Just a heads up but some of the WH Smith stores are closing down and selling stuff off half price.
I got a Philips truckers atlas on Sunday for £8.50 with the bridge heights and width restrictions in from Birstall branch,came at a handy time as my AA one is falling to bits and quite outdated now.

Nah I’ve got my ‘TruckersChineseTomTomDezlRoadLordGarminGoGoSuperDooperGPSNavigation’ 600 quid truck sat nav to send me everywhere,.(plus a spare one if it goes wrong 'I ain’t no fool) I’m the Csptain Kirk of the trucking world :sunglasses:
Maps are soooooo yesterday. :unamused:

(Just thought I’d get in first and be the first to say it. :smiley: )

Cheers mate I’ll have a look at weekend, mine’s getting a bit frayed.

I’m going…

To Smiths this morning and will be getting one.

TY for the heads up.

Thats a very good price.

For comparison purposes Amazon have the latest version AA truckers atlas @ £11.55, you might find it cheaper still somewhere else.

Out of the two maps i find the AA version easier to read and use overall, but no denying the value at WHS.

Yorkielad your showing your age now,buying a road atlas. Many drivers would not admit to owning one never mind replacing their old one :laughing: :laughing:

Wouldn’t be without my Truckers Atlas, would never rely 100% on a prat nav.

lolipop:
Yorkielad your showing your age now,buying a road atlas. Many drivers would not admit to owning one never mind replacing their old one :laughing: :laughing:

I’m only in my Forties :smiley: my old man bought me up on maps though…
Just to point out it’s only the WH Smith stores that are closing down(something to do with lease up on shops)…

robroy:
Nah I’ve got my ‘TruckersChineseTomTomDezlRoadLordGarminGoGoSuperDooperGPSNavigation’ 600 quid truck sat nav to send me everywhere,.(plus a spare one if it goes wrong 'I ain’t no fool) I’m the Csptain Kirk of the trucking world :sunglasses:

I take it you mean your map book is a bit frayed Rob , you are knocking on a bit ?

rigsby:

robroy:

I take it you mean your map book is a bit frayed Rob , you are knocking on a bit ?

Yep, other things are also a bit frayed. :smiley:

robbo99.:

This is one thing that should really be a key part of initial DCPC. Far more useful advice than some of the stuff they teach; yes I know it’s common sense but today’s youngsters rely over much on tech.

robbo99.:

Don’t rely on the atlas either it doesn’t have all the bridges

I’ve just…

Returned from my local cluster of buildings called Deliveranceville, which surprisingly has a WH Smith.

I got the last two copies.

So, if anyone wants the other one, it’s for sale at £20.

If you’re a member of TNCSI, you get a friends and family discount, which brings it down to £17.99

drover:

robbo99.:

Don’t rely on either 100%, use a combination of Truckers Atlas, prat nav and common sense. The latter seems rather scarce in some people.

robroy:

As I remember it Captain Kirk didn’t say computer plot me a course to planet zog in the crapola galaxy.He always asked Mr Sulu to sort it obviously using Google star maps.

robbo99.:

drover:

robbo99.:

Don’t rely on either 100%, use a combination of Truckers Atlas, prat nav and common sense. The latter seems rather scarce in some people.

Google maps and street view are my preferred things about modern day tech.It sort of bridges the analogue and digital world’s like a DAC hifi converter.

Thanks Yorkielad, mine is also on it’s last legs

i can’t beleive nobody has mentioned the collins map book also their xpanded version for london and surroundings … in the 70’s/80’s the dog’s… :exclamation: :question:

m.a.n rules:
i can’t beleive nobody has mentioned the collins map book also their xpanded version for london and surroundings … in the 70’s/80’s the dog’s… :exclamation: :question:

London and the South East as i recall.
Fantastic atlas, a complete and clear A to Z street altas stretching from Southend up to Milton Keyes to Reading and down as far as the south coast if recall correctly.
Monster of a thing size of an encylopaedia and not ideal for balancing on the steering wheel as you went along changing gear slurping a cup of tea whilst dunking a rich tea with your third hand simultaneously leching at the many fine ladies of the time and area who always managed to dress to impress, great days to be a lorry driver :smiling_imp:

I spent a lot of time on rental car transporting in the SE back then and that Collins book made the world of difference

When truckers “hit” the headlines by getting completely lost or jamming their truck between buildings or all the other disasters that happen often, the sat nav is always blamed for the lash up, I’ve never heard anyone ever say that their truckers atlas was to blame. Lack of Driver common sense is never mentioned, though this is usually high on the blame list.

Agree carryfast, Google maps is excellent too.