Cheap Truckers Atlas

Visiting the shops in Ripon today walked into Yorkshire Trading Company and came across AA Truckers Atlas 8th Edition.
was only £3.99 which I thought was cheap so just giving the heads up for those of you requiring one.
That’s if people still use Maps :wink: :smiley:

You old dinosaur! Whaddya ya want with a £3.99 map when there’s £300+ prat navs to be had? Get with it man!

Good God man! An atlas? You’ll be after a manual gearbox next!

Captain Caveman 76:

Too Right :smiley:

The 8th edition dates it at 2011. My Sat Nav is updated four times a year. Furthermore, it fits into my ruck-sack. Truckers atlases are huge - too big to put in a bag comfortably.

I think I’ll stick to my Garmin and Google Maps/Streetview.

tgf1961:
The 8th edition dates it at 2011. My Sat Nav is updated four times a year. Furthermore, it fits into my ruck-sack. Truckers atlases are huge - too big to put in a bag comfortably.

I think I’ll stick to my Garmin and Google Maps/Streetview.

Just had a look Reprinted in 2014 with amendments so yeh a little bit out of date

My mate got a phone call off a young driver asking him the location of a farm in the middle of nowhere.
He said give me half an hour, I’ll pull in and put you right on it.
My mate had it marked on his map, it was totally remote.
The kid rings up half an hour later.
So my mate says ‘‘Right it’s really hard to explain the best route in, so look at your map there is a small unclassified road on…’’
Kid interrupts him with… ‘‘Oh, I haven’t got a map’’
Mate just hangs up on him in disgust and knocks his phone off. :laughing: :laughing:

Captain Caveman 76:

I got both [emoji2]

i did a double manned trip with one of the band movers, a really good lad called Darren, in Poland the sat nav went blank and we arrived at the motorway junc only to find it closed, that’s ok I said give me your map and I will plot a route, what map he says I don’t have any, so we sat on the side of the motorway until another one of the trucks came past and we followed it, good job we were not the last in the move, and the sat nav was one he bought in Poland lol

Good heads up, thanks.

It reminded me to have a look on Amazon and indeed there is an updated for 2018 version out now, which i have bought at £11.10 and is now awaiting delivery.

At last i can that bloody awful Philips thing in the bin where it belongs, looking forward to having a clear map again.

On the subject of dinosaurs, i seriously doubt if humans will last anywhere near as long as the dinosaurs.

Juddian:
Good heads up, thanks.

It reminded me to have a look on Amazon and indeed there is an updated for 2018 version out now, which i have bought at £11.10 and is now awaiting delivery.

At last i can that bloody awful Philips thing in the bin where it belongs, looking forward to having a clear map again.

On the subject of dinosaurs, i seriously doubt if humans will last anywhere near as long as the dinosaurs.

What’s wrong with phillips map? I am awaiting delivery of the latest version.

After cig lighter not working once I didn’t want to be in that position again. So thought it would be a good idea to have a backup. Most of the reviews rated the phillips navigator highly.

The AA is IMHO much easier to read, the Philips is cluttered in comparison.
The only reason i bought the Philips is because the AA wasn’t updated for years.

Hoping now that they’ll update the ‘close up’ version of the AA map :sunglasses:

robroy:
So my mate says ‘‘Right it’s really hard to explain the best route in, so look at your map there is a small unclassified road on…’’

We’ve done that countless times in the past, ‘‘page so and so, the give grid references and that mate is exactly where you’ll fine the entrance’’, job done.

Sat navs are great for what they are, a pocket sized street map of the whole country, but when they stop working for some reason you’re buggered, and there is nothing like seeing the whole area and its surrounds and approaches on a decent sized sheet of printed paper.

Juddian:
Good heads up, thanks.

I replaced my 1996 AA Truckers last year with a more up to date one somebody left in our driver’s room…but it was 2007 edition. :smiley:
Anyway I used that for a bit, but the Devon and Cornwall pages are dog eared and sellotaped, so much so that a place I looked for last week that I hadn’t been to before was missing on an inch of the map that had been torn off. :unamused:
So new (or latest) AA Truckers edition ordered and sat at WH Smith for me to pick up when I get home. :sunglasses:

Juddian:

robroy:

We’ve done that countless times in the past, ‘‘page so and so, the give grid references and that mate is exactly where you’ll fine the entrance’’, job done.

Sat navs are great for what they are, a pocket sized street map of the whole country, but when they stop working for some reason you’re buggered, and there is nothing like seeing the whole area and its surrounds and approaches on a decent sized sheet of printed paper.

Yeh that’s spot on Juddian.
I don’t really ‘‘need’’ ( in the true sense) a sat nav, I managed fine without one, (like yourself) for bloody years…but after saying that I would not be without mine now, they deffo make the job a lot easier…as long as they are treated as a guide and not ‘‘God’s Gospel’’ :bulb: (as some look upon them. :unamused: )

Juddian:
The AA is IMHO much easier to read, the Philips is cluttered in comparison.
The only reason i bought the Philips is because the AA wasn’t updated for years.

Hoping now that they’ll update the ‘close up’ version of the AA map :sunglasses:

Strangely enough, when I bought my atlas I chose the Philips because it was more recent. I’ve never used anything else but may be tempted to update it with the AA, in a couple of years of course.

Can’t beat a map. Use sat navs for last few miles.
Remember place I worked few years back a new lad started 1st day he turned up .were based in Trafford park. He was given his job rugby and back. Got in his truck. Then said wheres sat nav last company provided one. And left my car one at home. Anyway he was given clear directions to his drop head along m6 j1 right on roundabout left next roundabout drop is over next roundabout near end of the road.
Couple hours later office rang him see how he was coping where he was upto. His response won’t be long just passing j39 . Was asked again can see sign penrith a66. God knows where he thought he was.going … some people just beggar belief. Like people I know use sat nav go work every say despite working there for years

edd1974:
Can’t beat a map. Use sat navs for last few miles.
Remember place I worked few years back a new lad started 1st day he turned up .were based in Trafford park. He was given his job rugby and back. Got in his truck. Then said wheres sat nav last company provided one. And left my car one at home. Anyway he was given clear directions to his drop head along m6 j1 right on roundabout left next roundabout drop is over next roundabout near end of the road.
Couple hours later office rang him see how he was coping where he was upto. His response won’t be long just passing j39 . Was asked again can see sign penrith a66. God knows where he thought he was.going … some people just beggar belief.

There’s no accounting for downright stupidity though mate.
The transport industry seem to attract those sort of knobs like a magnet these days for some reason. :unamused:

The transport industry hoovers up the Knobs because you can make decent coin if you max out your hours. Translated means do two jobs every week no o.t. rates though.