Weight

Without having to have someone actually weigh a truck for me, could someone please tell me the unladed weight of a Scania Topline 2001 164 480 4x2 with alloy wheels? If possible I would like to know the weight with and without the 5th wheel. Thank you. Taking into account alll the comments in regards to transforming a tractor unit to a motorhome, I have decided to exercise my entitlement to drive a tractor unit under 7.5 ton on my C1 licence, without any alterations. Although, there still appears to be confusion in relation to the 5th wheel and whether or not I can just immobilise it or whether I actually have to have it removed. Thank you all for your comments.

There was thread quite recently about V8 unit weights. See if you can find it.

GERARD2223:
, I have decided to exercise my entitlement to drive a tractor unit under 7.5 ton on my C1 licence, without any alterations.

Make sure the GVW plate reads under 7.5 because if that plate reads more than 7.5 it is still a C = 5th wheel plate on it or not

Removing the 5th wheel plate does not automatically make it different - the GVW plate must be changed - see VOSA for this

Removing the 5th wheel plate should make it easier to change which is what the DVLA were getting at in the other thread as it changes the ‘mode’ of the vehicle.

If your ides is to remove the 5th wheel plate, weight it and if under 7.5 tonnes, drive it, then that would not be legal. CHECK WITH VOSA before proceeding.

GERARD2223:
Taking into account alll the comments in regards to transforming a tractor unit to a motorhome, I have decided to exercise my entitlement to drive a tractor unit under 7.5 ton on my C1 licence, without any alterations.

I’m not sure on the weight of the V8 Scanny you asked about but I would very much doubt that it’s under 7500kg. Converted to a motorhome it’s even less likely to be under 7500kg, especially with fuel and a couple of people on board.

GERARD2223:
Although, there still appears to be confusion in relation to the 5th wheel and whether or not I can just immobilise it or whether I actually have to have it removed.

There’s no confusion at all, it doesn’t need immobilising or removing. When you find a suitable tractor unit that will come in under 7500kg with all the kit/fuel/passengers you want, you just get it replated to 7500kg and you can then legally drive it on your C1 licence. The fifth wheel is then of no use at all, as even if you had a C+E licence it would put the unit over 7500kg as soon as you put a trailer on it, so you might as well remove it although there is no legal requirement to do so if you don’t want to.

Paul

repton:

GERARD2223:
Taking into account alll the comments in regards to transforming a tractor unit to a motorhome, I have decided to exercise my entitlement to drive a tractor unit under 7.5 ton on my C1 licence, without any alterations.

I’m not sure on the weight of the V8 Scanny you asked about but I would very much doubt that it’s under 7500kg. Converted to a motorhome it’s even less likely to be under 7500kg, especially with fuel and a couple of people on board.

GERARD2223:
Although, there still appears to be confusion in relation to the 5th wheel and whether or not I can just immobilise it or whether I actually have to have it removed.

There’s no confusion at all, it doesn’t need immobilising or removing. When you find a suitable tractor unit that will come in under 7500kg with all the kit/fuel/passengers you want, you just get it replated to 7500kg and you can then legally drive it on your C1 licence. The fifth wheel is then of no use at all, as even if you had a C+E licence it would put the unit over 7500kg as soon as you put a trailer on it, so you might as well remove it although there is no legal requirement to do so if you don’t want to.

all sounds like hard work 2 me might be easyer doing class 2!! :bulb:

repton:

GERARD2223:

GERARD2223:

It’s just that DVLA informed me that I had to remove the 5th wheel. So interesting to read that you say I don’t have to. It seems absurd that if I do remove the 5th wheel that each year for the MOT I have to put it back on. Some chap at the DVLA has told me this. He says that the vehicle can not be MOTed without the 5th wheel as it is not a complete vehicle!!!

ROG:

GERARD2223:
, I have decided to exercise my entitlement to drive a tractor unit under 7.5 ton on my C1 licence, without any alterations.

Make sure the GVW plate reads under 7.5 because if that plate reads more than 7.5 it is still a C = 5th wheel plate on it or not

Removing the 5th wheel plate does not automatically make it different - the GVW plate must be changed - see VOSA for this

Removing the 5th wheel plate should make it easier to change which is what the DVLA were getting at in the other thread as it changes the ‘mode’ of the vehicle.

If your ides is to remove the 5th wheel plate, weight it and if under 7.5 tonnes, drive it, then that would not be legal. CHECK WITH VOSA before proceeding.

Why wouldn’t it be legal to drive without the 5th wheel an below 7.5 tons, this is what I’m hoping to do!

GERARD2223:
Why wouldn’t it be legal to drive without the 5th wheel an below 7.5 tons, this is what I’m hoping to do!

With it or without it - it makes no difference if either the total weight is over 7.5 OR the PLATED weight is over 7.5

eddster1979:
all sounds like hard work 2 me might be easyer doing class 2!! :bulb:

I would think that filling in the form to get it replated to 7500kg is going to be a lot less effort (and definitely a LOT less money) than doing your class2! Plus if you replate it then anyone who has a pre 1997 car licence can drive it.

Paul

GERARD2223:
It’s just that DVLA informed me that I had to remove the 5th wheel. So interesting to read that you say I don’t have to. It seems absurd that if I do remove the 5th wheel that each year for the MOT I have to put it back on. Some chap at the DVLA has told me this. He says that the vehicle can not be MOTed without the 5th wheel as it is not a complete vehicle!!!

The bloke at the DVLA is getting confused by some old and very out of date rules. The “incomplete vehicle” rule that allowed you do drive a tractor unit with the 5th wheel removed on a category B (car) licence was got rid of a fair few years ago now.

If you want to drive it on a C1 licence then the only way to legally do it is to replate it from the current 18000kg to 7500kg and then it will come under the C1 licence category. The 5th wheel aspect is completely irrelevant. Leave it on or take it off as you wish. Of course this all assumes the unit in its full ready to use configuration (including fuel, luggage and passengers) actually weighs under 7500kg. If it doesn’t then the whole thing is a non starter.

If you have a search this is a subject that comes up on here once every few months and every time someone starts quoting the out of date information and confuses everyone. It’s a real shame that in this case it’s the people who should know better that are confusing you!

Paul