7.5 Ton or Not 7.5 Ton?

If a driver had a c1 licence and drove an empty lorry/van that weighed 7.45 ton and placed 2 ton of stuff in the back would the driver still be legal? As it would weigh 9.45 ton!!

illegal as its over 7.5ton combined weight of vehicle and load must be under 7.5ton

Then how come my company hire drivers with a c1 licence to drive these with a load of stuff in the back, beats me!! :confused: :confused: but im curious!

Alan Ni:
If a driver had a c1 licence and drove an empty lorry/van that weighed 7.45 ton

This vehicle would certainly have a plated GVW of over 7500 kgs therefore be in category C not C1.

There is a plate inside the cab on the passengers side that says 7.45 ton.

Has anyone got some documentation or such that will clarify this for me as one of my friends is driving and i wouldn’t want to see them get in a sticky situation?

If the GVW is 7.45t (odd?) then that’s the weight including the vehicle plus load etc and this weight cannot be exceeded.

This is what i don’t understand i may not be 100% correct on the weight on the plate but its a tad under 7.5 ton. Is that not the kerb side weight?

Alan Ni:
Is that not the kerb side weight?

I’ve just re-read your first post, if it weighs 7.45t empty then obviously it’s not the GVW :blush: . Basically that’s the weight you need to check to ensure you’re legal.

is the GVW on the plate in the cab? Is that the weight of the truck or the maximum weight it can be If so where can i find the actual weight of the truck unlaiden? I probably don’t make much sense but i’m not clued up on these sort of things.

mrpj:

Alan Ni:
Is that not the kerb side weight?

I’ve just re-read your first post, if it weighs 7.45t empty then obviously it’s not the GVW :blush: . Basically that’s the weight you need to check to ensure you’re legal.

Hi mrpj, That’s got me to thinking, and I’m trying to go easy on my one remaining brain cell, but maybe our friend Alan Ni might have misunderstood the terminology on the plate…

7.45t sounds about right to me for the ‘actual’ permitted GVW of a “7.5t” vehicle.
Just a thought… :slight_smile:

Alan Ni:
is the GVW on the plate in the cab? Is that the weight of the truck or the maximum weight it can be If so where can i find the actual weight of the truck unlaiden? I probably don’t make much sense but i’m not clued up on these sort of things.

Hi Alan Ni, you make sense to me mate. :wink:

It might help if you read my reply to Gingerpose in :arrow_right: THIS TOPIC

When you’ve read it, would you please post something in this topic so I know you’ve understood, or please ask another question??

I hope this helps. :smiley:

dieseldave:

I noticed that in that link, there is not a plate for a 7.5 tonner - has anyone got a pic of one please :question:

YES, I know that it will just be a change in the weight shown on the ones already posted but it MIGHT just make things a little easier for some.

Sort of - ‘Look boss, I’ve got this pic of a 7.5 tonner plate and the one you want me to drive is higher than this and I only have a C1 on my licence’

Ok im getting my head round this. One question the weight on the plate is what? The actual weight of the vehicle or the maximum weight of the vehicle plus any cargo? that will clear this up for me… Thanks for all you’r help!

What truck is it? Make model?

The orange plate in the cab shows the maximum weights allowed for individual axles and for train weight (vehicle plus trailer)

It does not show the unladen weight of the vehicle. A 7.5t truck with a box body and taillift will probably weigh about 4-4.5t empty.

Find a public weighbridge, drive on the bridge and nip into the weighbridge office to ask for directions. Whilst you are in there take a sneaky peek at the readout.

Alan Ni:
Ok im getting my head round this. One question the weight on the plate is what? The actual weight of the vehicle or the maximum weight of the vehicle plus any cargo? that will clear this up for me… Thanks for all you’r help!

The weight shown in that link picture (the arrowed weight) is for the TOTAL weight of the truck AND the load together.

If the plate weight stated was 7.5 tonnes and the truck when empty weighs 4 tonnes (put it on a weighbridge to find that out) then you can put a 3.5 tonne load in it - being careful not to overload the axles of course.

How do you know if you are overloaded either in total or on any axle? - take it to a weighbridge.
Who pays for the weighbridge - the boss, not the driver.

Can you get prosecuted if going DIRECTLY to or from the nearest weighbridge if overloaded? - NO

Is there any way to know the Actual weight of the truck without draging my arse to a weigh bridge?

Alan Ni:
Is there any way to know the Actual weight of the truck without draging my arse to a weigh bridge?

No

And when you do take it to the weighbridge to weigh it empty, make sure you have a full tank of fuel and it’s normal straps etc in it.

When weighing it on the weighbridge, make sure you are sitting in it cos your weight counts as well :exclamation:

Thanks all that clears it up for me.

ROG:

dieseldave:

I noticed that in that link, there is not a plate for a 7.5 tonner - has anyone got a pic of one please :question:

YES, I know that it will just be a change in the weight shown on the ones already posted but it MIGHT just make things a little easier for some.

Sort of - ‘Look boss, I’ve got this pic of a 7.5 tonner plate and the one you want me to drive is higher than this and I only have a C1 on my licence’

One kind member just sent one to me (privately) THANK YOU :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: