Driving on a car licence

Just wondered if anyone knew if I was able to drive a Scania 113 tractor unit (without the trailer) on a car licence if the test had been passed prior to 1997 (i.e. if I have a C1 licence)?

My thoughts are that the vehicle is technically no more than 7.5 t gvw.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Thankyou.

Check the plated weight on the plating cert. It’ll be a lot more than 7.5. Needs a CAT C to drive without a trailer. :laughing: :laughing:

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome Super Sleeper :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
Newbies - Jobs, Agencies & EXPERIENCE & Is the UK short of drivers ? & Was it really worth it?

How to post Pics, avatars, using quotes, Driver CPC forum & Tacho & WTD regs forum

As Peter has already pointed out - extremely rare (almost impossible) to find a tractor unit plated at under 7.5 tonnes

Ok - thanks for your answer.

In that case, is it possible to down-plate the tractor unit to 7.5t?

Super Sleeper:
In that case, is it possible to down-plate the tractor unit to 7.5t?

Only if it physically weighs 7.5t or less.

Would I then be able to drive the unit on a car licence? i.e. if it were down-plated?

remove the 5th wheel and youll be fine i think

gogzy:

The fifth wheel has no bearing on it - old myth

A call to VOSA and/or DVLA may help you on the downrating issue.

To downplate, you will need to replace a few parts on the transmission to lower rated equivalents, drive shafts etc. This is to limit your ability to exceed the new plated weight. If you don’t intend to use it for towing a trailer for a while, removing (or disabling) the 5th wheel, while not necessary to downplate it, may be an additional factor in your favour when the decision is made. Like ROG said, the only people who can advise you best are the DVLA. Phone them, or go to the local HGV test center and ask them what you need to do to the unit to have it down plated.
If you are only intending to use the unit for shows, then having a technician disable the 5th wheel will be a better option. The weight of it will give better grip on the rear end, and it will look better when on display, and then you can just show the DVLA the letter from the guy who disabled it to prove you have no intention of allowing it to exceed the new plated weight.

I don’t know what the cost of doing the downplating will be but consider that cost against obtaining a C licence because if you had a C licence then this would apply -

From the Tractor Unit on Private HGV questions thread

I have verbal answers from 2 different traffic examiners at 2 different VOSA stations - both said the same -
As the unit, no matter what the plated weight, does not carry goods, then it is out-of-scope = no tachograph required.

ROG:

gogzy:

The fifth wheel has no bearing on it - old myth

A call to VOSA and/or DVLA may help you on the downrating issue.

what about the guy who has the blue 3 series scanny who drives it on his car licence? he removed the 5th wheel and didnt need to get his c licence, was something to do with his paint spraying business

I can assure you that the fifth wheel has absolutely no bearing on this - maybe he just felt like removing it and used the space where it had been for something else …

ROG:
I have verbal answers from 2 different traffic examiners at 2 different VOSA stations - both said the same -
As the unit, no matter what the plated weight, does not carry goods, then it is out-of-scope = no tachograph required.

I’ve still not been able to find this in the wriiten rules they publish. One of the examples they use is a “person moving house” but this exemption specifically states not exceeding 7.5t; perhaps I misunderstand it?

mrpj:

ROG:

I’ve still not been able to find this in the wriiten rules they publish. One of the examples they use is a “person moving house” but this exemption specifically states not exceeding 7.5t; perhaps I misunderstand it?

It is at the very start of the tacho regs

Article 1
This Regulation lays down rules on driving times, breaks and
rest periods for drivers engaged in the carriage of goods and
passengers by road in order to harmonise the conditions of
competition between modes of inland transport, especially
with regard to the road sector, and to improve working
conditions and road safety.

As the unit is not engaged in the carriage of goods then it is out-of-scope

I get it now :blush: :slight_smile: