Driving a tractor unit on a car licence

Hi,

I know this has been on here before, but I cannot find the topic, sorry.

Can you drive a tractor unit on a car licence with the C1 entitlement? Licence held since 1989.

I am thinking of a Volvo FH, Globetrotter 6x2 which would be taken to truck shows without a trailer rather than it used for hire and reward.

I understand they are under 7.5 tonnes unlaiden, but as mentioned there is no plans to have a trailer, so this would not be exceeded.

Whilst it would be capable of 44t, would I need to downplate it?

Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks

no unfortunately you cant

a unit is classed as a rigid therefore requires a minimum of a class c licence to drive them solo

The plate must read under 7.5 tonnes for it to be driven on a C1 licence

The fifth wheel plate does not need to be removed either - that’s a myth.

What would be needed to downplate it I do not know - not my bag

Y111RDF:
Hi,

I know this has been on here before, but I cannot find the topic, sorry.

Can you drive a tractor unit on a car licence with the C1 entitlement? Licence held since 1989.

I am thinking of a Volvo FH, Globetrotter 6x2 which would be taken to truck shows without a trailer rather than it used for hire and reward.

I understand they are under 7.5 tonnes unlaiden, but as mentioned there is no plans to have a trailer, so this would not be exceeded.

Whilst it would be capable of 44t, would I need to downplate it?

Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks

i think you would find that the tare weight of a globetrotter 6x2 would be nearer 8 1/2 tonne, so you would still not be allowed to drive it

i think you would find that the tare weight of a globetrotter 6x2 would be nearer 8 1/2 tonne, so you would still not be allowed to drive it

The ones which load at our place are 8760kg, and that’s without the driver. Our own FM Globetrotters are 7780kg, so I can’t ever see an FH getting below 7500 without major surgery.

A 4x2 would be ok, but the third axle weighs about a tonne, so as others have said you couldn’t do it without doing a major strip down.

Thanks guys, really helpful.

Does anyone know if I can just take a C test (old class 2) to drive it, if there is no intention of pulling a trailer?

Thanks in advance.

If you want to drive something big on a car licence, why not get a bus or coach that is over thirty years old?

In a word, yes, you can drive a tractor unit with a Class C licence.

Harry Monk:
In a word, yes, you can drive a tractor unit with a Class C licence.

Any trailer over 750 kgs for LGV is +E
A rigid LGV does not have a trailer so is a C
An artic unit on it’s own does not have a trailer (+E) so is therefore a C

Thanks again guys, will look into getting a class C. Very helpful.

Not after a bus or coach, but take your point I could drive a 12m coach on a car licence (with some people on board), which is a lot bigger than a tractor unit.

Cheers

Y111RDF:
Thanks again guys, will look into getting a class C. Very helpful.

Not after a bus or coach, but take your point I could drive a 12m coach on a car licence (with some people on board), which is a lot bigger than a tractor unit.

Cheers

It just goes to show the logic of our driver licensing system.

i thought you could drive a unit on a car licence as long as it had no 5th wheel or any type of coupling
look at that lorry chis eubank drives i belive he doesnt have a hgv licence

chris_g:
i thought you could drive a unit on a car licence as long as it had no 5th wheel or any type of coupling
look at that lorry chis eubank drives i belive he doesnt have a hgv licence

I think you will find that he has a C1 licence as he passed his car test before 1997.

The 5th wheel or any other type of coupling has aboslutely no bearing on the licence needed to drive it under the current licensing catagory regulations

DVLA licensing criteria -
Firstly it is done by weight - if no GVW then actual weight = B, C1, C
Secondly it is done by the total number of seats = B, D1, D
The second takes preference to the first.

For all catagories of C & D vehicles - any trailer over 750 kgs requires a +E on the licence

chris_g:
chis eubank drives i belive he doesnt have a hgv licence

Indeed he does, he’s got a C , he trained with Hills at Plumpton, same place I did. Think he has the C&E as well as he was going to do that with Hills but couldn’t get a test to suit him so he went somewhere near Southampton (or so Hills told me!)

Alex

IIRC, Chris Eubank does hold a C+E licence, he did a Nescafe advert where he was pulling a trailer with his own unit and he stopped to pick up a hitch hiker who thought he was Frank Bruno

On the V5 the taxation class in section 4 changes from HGV to Private HGV. You would then pay £165 pa for your years road tax.

Insurance wise, I insure mine with the NFU. They have always given me a very competetive rate. The policy has unlimited mileage and £1,000,000 public liability and buildings insurance included. These are the norm if your showing a vehicle.

With your truck, you still need an annual full HGV MOT test carried out at any VOSA HGV testing station. You can pull a trailer but the trailer goods won’t be insured and I don’t think the trailer will either, but not certain. As long as the vehicle is not used in conjunction with any business or hire or reward away you go. Also the plating certificate is still plated as the gross vehicle weight. Mine is plated at 38,000kgs. Remember don’t overload it.

You will also be tacho exempt, but your tacho will still need a calibration certificate as per normal. Your speed limiter will need to be working if one is fitted depending on vericle age. As far as VOSA are concerned when it goes for test it’s the same as any other HGV.

Hope some of this helps. Sorry if I’ve repeated what some of the other posters have written.

F10 Globetrotter:
On the V5 the taxation class in section 4 changes from HGV to Private HGV. You would then pay £165 pa for your years road tax.

Insurance wise, I insure mine with the NFU. They have always given me a very competetive rate. The policy has unlimited mileage and £1,000,000 public liability and buildings insurance included. These are the norm if your showing a vehicle.

With your truck, you still need an annual full HGV MOT test carried out at any VOSA HGV testing station. You can pull a trailer but the trailer goods won’t be insured and I don’t think the trailer will either, but not certain. As long as the vehicle is not used in conjunction with any business or hire or reward away you go. Also the plating certificate is still plated as the gross vehicle weight. Mine is plated at 38,000kgs. Remember don’t overload it.

You will also be tacho exempt, but your tacho will still need a calibration certificate as per normal. Your speed limiter will need to be working if one is fitted depending on vericle age. As far as VOSA are concerned when it goes for test it’s the same as any other HGV.

Hope some of this helps. Sorry if I’ve repeated what some of the other posters have written.

Thanks for that, someone else recommended NFU and also Footman James.

There is no intention of pulling a trailer, so may look at downplating it to avoid needing a trailer for the test, if this is possible.

Have you got any breakdown cover, someone suggested the RHA scheme?

Is there any pics of your unit on the forum? Would be interested to see them.

Thanks again.

i find this site helpful for licence information

licencecheck.co.uk/category_codes.php

Y111RDF:
There is no intention of pulling a trailer

You couldn’t pull a trailer over 750kgs anyway without the E part on the licence; C1E if the tractor was 7.5t or less, CE if more.