To settle a little debate!

No doubt this topic has been done to death in the past but i want to make sure i have the right ‘information’ as i like knowing the facts.

The question being can you drive a solo tractor unit with a cat C license…people say you can unless you have the Fifth wheel covered or removed…ive always had the understanding it didn’t need to have a cover on it but i could be wrong!

If someone could put me in the right light would be greatly appreciated:)

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

Yes you can.

Without a doubt, yes.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thought so! Thanks folks :smiley:

Cheers

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=61614

Think you can even tow a trailer up to 750 kg!
As I see it.
It’s all about the weight. As long the unit is under 26t you can drive it.
Same as one nice Ford Excursion 4x4. Looks just like Chevrolet Suburban but you can’t drive it with cat B, because it’s 4,2t in weiht :open_mouth:

Zanfta:
Think you can even tow a trailer up to 750 kg!
As I see it.
Same as one nice Ford Excursion 4x4. Looks just like Chevrolet Suburban but you can’t drive it with cat B, because it’s 4,2t in weiht :open_mouth:

Not quite right.

With a cat C licence you can drive a goods vehicle over 3,500kg with a trailer up to 750kg, there’s no weight restriction apart from the trailer weight though.

An artic unit is a cat C vehicle, it only becomes a cat C+E vehicle when you add a trailer over 750kg.

The 750 kgs refers to the max plated MAM weight and not actual weight because all licencing laws go by MAM weights

Zanfta:

I’d like to see a 25 tonne tractor unit :open_mouth:

There are no licence weight limits for cat C or CE

Terry T:

Zanfta:

I’d like to see a 25 tonne tractor unit :open_mouth:

This cannot be so far off that, but it is still a CAT C Vehicle :smiley:

10x4_601.jpg

I have my DCPC card so should know a thing or two.I was told that you cant drive a unit with just a C licence and you cant drive a bendy bus without a D+E.The man was of course talking ■■■■■ but he would collect his salary never the less.There is a lot of misinformation out there and unprofessional trainers are nor helping to get rid of it.

You can drive Bendy Bus with only “D” licence.
As I’ve been told by my employers Training Academy, because the engine and drive axle is at the back of the bus. But can not drive the ones with engine in the “unit”.
Most rediculous thing that makes no sense if you done your test in auto box. You can drive 55ft Bendy Bus with about 100 passengers but you can not drive 16 seater with manual box! :open_mouth:

You can drive Bendy Bus with only “D” licence.
As I’ve been told by my employers Training Academy, because the engine and drive axle is at the back of the bus. But can not drive the ones with engine in the “unit”.
Most rediculous thing that makes no sense if you done your test in auto box. You can drive 55ft Bendy Bus with about 100 passengers but you can not drive 16 seater with manual box! :open_mouth:

Yes, you can can drive a bendy bus on a D licence. But it’s nothing to do with the position of the engine. It’s because the driver is not able to detach the “trailer”.

And if you’ve done your test in an auto you can get an exchange for a full manual licence - - so you can drive the 16 seater manual.

There is a lot of misinformation out there and unprofessional trainers are nor helping to get rid of it.

But some of us are professionals and we are getting shot of the misinformation.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Another ‘silly’ question as its quiet at work tonight. Once you have passed Mod 2 & 4 do you then have to do the 35 hours classroom bit? I think i already know the answer but I just want to confirm it. :slight_smile: also the best time to apply for your digi card? Obviously once you’ve passed but whether its worth sending all the forms off together etc?

Full of daft questions but i put that down to a very quiet night at work :laughing:

Cheers

jonnytruckfest:
Another ‘silly’ question as its quiet at work tonight. Once you have passed Mod 2 & 4 do you then have to do the 35 hours classroom bit?

When you’ve passed mods 2 and 4 you can drive commercially for five years, during that five years you will need to do 35 hours periodic training so that you can drive commercially for a further five year after the first five years period ends.

In other words you will need to do 35 hour periodic training during each five year cycle until we can get out of the EU and stop this bloody nonsense :smiley:

I was right then, :smiley: my ‘big’ plan is to move to Canada after doing a few years over here driving artics but we’ll see baby steps and all that :smiley:

so id be right in saying if you did your adr to get 21 hrs cpc, then did another couple sessions youd be covered until 2019?

Cheers

jonnytruckfest:
so id be right in saying if you did your adr to get 21 hrs cpc, then did another couple sessions youd be covered until 2019?

It’s better than that, if you do the initial DCPC (mods 2 & 4) this year that will cover you for five years, that’s until 2019, then if you do another 35 hours, say ADR and another couple of courses, you will be covered until 2024, a total of ten years.

Ahh nice one! Ill probably look into getting my epic card for the quarries for the tippers. :slight_smile: Cheers! Always better to ask! :slight_smile:

Cheers