Weekly Rest

Hi
Can anyone help a confused drive out and help me understand how i work out if i have had enough weekly rest.
The way i read it you need 45hrs continious rest that can be reduced to 36hrs but must be paid back and attached to at least another 8hrs within 3 weeks, but now comes the tricky bit, can i have say have monday off (24hrs), work tuesday, wednesday, then have thursday off (24hrs), work friday, Saturday and sunday and still meet the 45hrs weekly rest because 24hrs(monday) + 24hrs(thursday)=48hrs although they are not joined together. ie continous?
Any help in understaning this would be most welcolme as im sure i have turned down work because i thought i need 36-45hrs rest before the week runs out 0000hrs sunday night.

Bigal

You have to have at least 36 hrs in a block - can’t split it… You seem to understand it right !!!

G

Thanks G,
so last week even though i could’nt get work monday but then worked tue-sat(early finish), i did right turning sunday down because monday didn’t count towards weekly rest so i had 36hrs part saturday and all day sunday.
I would have been better of taking tuesday off as well as together with monday i would have got my 45hrs weekly rest at the begining of week and saved myself from taking 3 rest days instead of 2.
Am i getting there?

Bigal

Just a little point. You say you had Monday off (24 hrs) but unless you worked Sunday up until midnight and then started again just after midnight on the Tuesday it will have been more than 24 hours off.

I don’t know the hours you worked on the Sunday and the Tuesday but for example if you had finished work at 18:00 on Sunday and started work at 06:00 Tuesday you would have had a 36 hour reduced weekly rest. 18:00 - 00:00 Sunday = 6 hours + Monday 24 hours + 00:00 until 06:00 Tuesday = 6 hours, a total of 36 continuous hours. If that was the case that would leave you 12 hours to compensate for. This would, as you say, need adding onto another daily or weekly rest period of at least 8 hours and would need to be taken before the end of the 4th week, the 3rd week following the reduction. It could well be the case that you had more than 36 hours rest if you had finished earlier on the Sunday and started later on the Tuesday, leaving you less to compensate for.

You say you had 36 hours off - part Saturday and all Sunday - but unless you started at midnight on Sunday you will have had more than that. The rest hours will be from when you finished work Saturday until you started Monday.

The fixed week- 00:00 Monday until 00:00 Sunday is for the purpose of counting the number of reduced daily rest periods or extended 10 hour driving days but weekly rest must be taken after six daily driving periods and can straddle two fixed weeks.

Thanks G
I will stop bothering you eventually but how about the following:
So if i finished work on Saturday at 12.00hrs and am not working again until 03.30hrs Tuesday i have had my weekly rest for last week (reduced to 36hrs) so how about this week as my total rest time is 631/2 hours in block.
Sorry to sound so dense but i thought the 36/45hrs in block rest has to be in the fixed week window i.e 0.00hrs Monday to 24.00hrs Sunday?
I will get it straight in my head eventually!!! - I hope
Cheers

Bigal

Bigal:
Thanks G

Er, the last reply wasn’t ‘G’. :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

Bigal:
I will stop bothering you eventually but how about the following:
So if i finished work on Saturday at 12.00hrs and am not working again until 03.30hrs Tuesday i have had my weekly rest for last week (reduced to 36hrs) so how about this week as my total rest time is 631/2 hours in block.

In that case you have had a full weekly rest, 45 hours, plus compensated for last weeks 36 hours and that also leaves you 6.5 hours you could use to compensate for any reduced daily rest periods in the last two weeks.

Bigal:
Sorry to sound so dense but i thought the 36/45hrs in block rest has to be in the fixed week window i.e 0.00hrs Monday to 24.00hrs Sunday?

Nope.

Bigal:
I will get it straight in my head eventually!!! - I hope

You will, the rules aren’t that complicated or even very long, you just need to read them carefully. Oh and by the way once you have it all sorted out they are changing next April. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Er Sorry Coffeeholic - see as i said i am confused

Thanks for reply think i have got it now if i have an excess of time off over the 45hours i can class that as payback for past period too not just count it as lost time.

and Thanks for the tip off now i think i’ve got it they are to change next April GREAT - Why can’t life be simple!!

Bigal

Bigal:
Er Sorry Coffeeholic - see as i said i am confused

Thanks for reply think i have got it now if i have an excess of time off over the 45hours i can class that as payback for past period too not just count it as lost time.

You can as long as you remember that payback for a reduced weekly rest must be taken in one continuous block. Payback for daily rest can be taken in segments as long as they are at least 1 hour.