Weekly rest in 2 consecutive weeks confusion

Hi all, so over 2 consecutive weeks i know i need minimum a 24 and 45 rest.but what i dont understand is can i roll the rest on both weeks?

Starting on a Sunday week 1 and ending on Monday in week 2 (24 hour rest) then on week 2 starting on a Saturday and ending on Monday week 3? (45 hour rest)

Or does the last week need the 45 to be finished at midnight Sunday week 2?

Just someone told me the weekly rest needs to be completed by midnight on Sunday in week2 and i cant roll it every week

I’ve never heard of a weekly rest needing to be completed by a set time.
New one on me.

A weekly rest that includes sunday midnight can be used in either fixed week and only has to be 1 minute in a week so that it can be used for that fixed week

The same hours in that weekly rest cannot be used for both fixed weeks - I say it that way because lets say a weekly rest is 90 hours then it can be split into two 45 hour weekly rests using one for each of the two fixed weeks

We can help you further if you want to do a simple work schedule like this -

sat rest
sun rest
mon work
tue work
wed work
thu rest
fri work
etc

Binksy:
Just someone told me the weekly rest needs to be completed by midnight on Sunday in week2 and i cant roll it every week

No, not true at all. Lets say you finish Saturday at 12 noon, you start Monday at 6am, you have had 36 hours (reduced) weekly rest, the fact that six of these hours are in the next fixed week compared to the work you’ve done, is immaterial. You’ve got 9 hours of compensation to bear in mind, not 15 as this other person would seem to think.

If the next week you finish 6pm Friday, starting 6am Monday, there’s 60 hours rest completed, your compensation taken care of, and you’re back on track.

The “Midnight Sunday” doesn’t enter into that calculation, and is only a concern for any legislation that mentions “fixed week”, such as the restriction on driving beyond 9 hours up to a max of 10, twice in a fixed week.

So as long as my rest starts in one week, it can continue into the next week but only be counted in one week? And i could do that every week?

Binksy:
So as long as my rest starts in one week, it can continue into the next week but only be counted in one week? And i could do that every week?

Yes but every other one must be a 45 and they must all include sunday midnight for that option

ROG:

Binksy:

Yes but every other one must be a 45 and they must all include sunday midnight for that option

By including sunday midnight are you saying that 45 must be completed by sunday midnight or could that 45 finish on monday, thats whats really confusing me haha.

Binksy:
By including sunday midnight are you saying that 45 must be completed by sunday midnight

No.

Does it help explain it by saying you don’t have to be on rest at Sunday midnight. You don’t have to be on rest on Sunday at all.
It’s just that if you are…then it gives you the choice to allocate that rest to the week prior to Sunday midnight or the week following Sunday midnight.

A weekly rest that starts saturday at 9am and finishes on monday at 6am is a regular 45 hour weekly rest and can be used either for the week just ending or the week just starting but not for both weeks

ROG:
A weekly rest that starts saturday at 9am and finishes on monday at 6am is a regular 45 hour weekly rest and can be used either for the week just ending or the week just starting but not for both weeks

But what is the point of that? I thought there was no reference to fixed weeks for rest, simply that you must start your rest within 6 X 24hrs of ending your last one.

stu675:

ROG:

But what is the point of that? I thought there was no reference to fixed weeks for rest, simply that you must start your rest within 6 X 24hrs of ending your last one.

Both rules apply :smiley:
What the rules say is that IN any fixed week (1 minute is in) there MUST be a weekly rest assigned to that fixed week

Max time between any two weekly rests is 144 hours

^^^Thanks, hadn’t come across that, but also can’t imagine when it could be an issue.

Thanks everyone, think ive finally got it unlike some of the drivers i asked at work and got many different versions on it haha

Just to throw a spanner in the work it’s actually possible to have 2 24s on the trot with a bit of thinking. :smiley: (On national work. Can anyway on international)

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGJ9LYF36/

Zac_A:

Binksy:

No, not true at all. Lets say you finish Saturday at 12 noon, you start Monday at 6am, you have had 36 hours (reduced) weekly rest, the fact that six of these hours are in the next fixed week compared to the work you’ve done, is immaterial. You’ve got 9 hours of compensation to bear in mind, not 15 as this other person would seem to think.

If the next week you finish 6pm Friday, starting 6am Monday, there’s 60 hours rest completed, your compensation taken care of, and you’re back on track.

The “Midnight Sunday” doesn’t enter into that calculation, and is only a concern for any legislation that mentions “fixed week”, such as the restriction on driving beyond 9 hours up to a max of 10, twice in a fixed week.

One thing I’ve found that many seem to believe are that your work and weekly rest needs to be done within 7 days, confusing it with the work and rest in a 24 hour period for daily rest. It often comes to light that people believe this when they claim you can only work 5 days with a full 45.

Anyhow I do do refresher training for stuff like this!
ADVERT REMOVED - NEEDS ADMIN PERMISSION

switchlogic:
[
One thing I’ve found that many seem to believe are that your work and weekly rest needs to be done within 7 days, confusing it with the work and rest in a 24 hour period for daily rest. It often comes to light that people believe this when they claim you can only work 5 days with a full 45.

There seems to be no limit to what people can get confused about. Rolling fortnights - I once had a guy who just could not grasp the idea that week two of one fortnight becomes week one of the next fortnight, no matter how many pictures I drew (literally). Or the one who insisted it was not possible to legally have “seven days showing on your card” and the guys who “got away” with doing that were just “bosses pets”
Still lots who can’t grasp the idea of “compensation” either.

Sometimes the struggle is to get people to “unlearn” what they believe to be true, sadly in some cases that just isn’t possible, and you have to let them go with handfuls of “further information” or links to downloads, and an encouragement to “come back and see me if you want any more help”. It’s no wonder that drivers hours courses are the ones that DVSA don’t bat an eyelid at when someone wants to repeat it.

But look at me, defending the pointless driver tax that no one needs :unamused: :laughing:

What makes me laugh is what people choose to believe. Can’t remember the exact law we disagreed on but one chap recently I was adamant I was wrong and argued with me endlessly, even after I posted proof. The reason he was so adamant he was right? Someone who’s name he couldn’t remember 3/4 years ago who said he had been ‘done by VOSA’ for this particular offence. The fact I put my name and face to everything I do seemed irrelevant when compared with a stranger from years ago :smiley:

Zac_A:

switchlogic:
[

There seems to be no limit to what people can get confused about. Rolling fortnights - I once had a guy who just could not grasp the idea that week two of one fortnight becomes week one of the next fortnight, no matter how many pictures I drew (literally). Or the one who insisted it was not possible to legally have “seven days showing on your card” and the guys who “got away” with doing that were just “bosses pets”
Still lots who can’t grasp the idea of “compensation” either.

Sometimes the struggle is to get people to “unlearn” what they believe to be true, sadly in some cases that just isn’t possible, and you have to let them go with handfuls of “further information” or links to downloads, and an encouragement to “come back and see me if you want any more help”. It’s no wonder that drivers hours courses are the ones that DVSA don’t bat an eyelid at when someone wants to repeat it.

But look at me, defending the pointless driver tax that no one needs :unamused: :laughing:

7 days on my card? How can I do this? Do you have any examples?