WANNABE trucker

Hi everyone i am Darren and i am new here as trying to find out how to become a truck driver .have to mention i have been working as a multi drop courier driver for about 3 years and i really want to become a trucker .could anyone point me in the right direction as i am not sure which company should i go for learning ,i am afraid not to be tricked and i don’t know which recognized company are around my area,i have to mention i live in bicester but i will not mind to go even oxford or near northampton as long as the learner driver company is worth it ,One other thing how should i do this in a quick process i mean should i start learning for the theory test and register after or go and register and then follow the steps?what is the first 10 steps?do i have to apply for a provisional license for hgv?forgot to mention i am 31 years old and have a license since 2005 but i don’t understand do i have to hand in my license to dvla ?i am trying to find the steps for becoming a trucker as i always loved to be one of the big boys out there :slight_smile: as a last question how its cheaper to apply for class 2 first or should i use that back to back as i want to become a HGV /LGV driver and why do i have to pass a CPC if its not really required or it is ?.thank you for any help.

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome darrensapphire7 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .

darrensapphire7:
what is the first 10 steps?

All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members and the steps to take, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
The link includes THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC which started on 10 Sept 2009.

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
However, many newbies on this site have recently secured permanent full time employment :smiley:

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

welcome to the mad house darrensapphire7

follow rog’s links and u wont go far wrong

and i cant belive i said / wrote that

Hi Darren following ROG’s links is a good start, as Farmer said. All the info you could possibly need is there.
Yes it is a bit of a madhouse, i’ve seen it all :laughing: but once you’ve got yr license and served yr apprenticeship :unamused: there’s always work out there :neutral_face: whether its good, bad or downright ugly, someone somewhere needs somethin moving…
best wishes and good luck…

THANKS GUYS, i will start reading all the info however if anyone knows a recognized company where i could go to do the training around TOWCESTER area as i mentioned before , even oxford i will appreciate it .there are so many companies on net advertising but i believe the only act as a middle man and that’s not what i want :slight_smile: so thanks

darrensapphire7:
THANKS GUYS, i will start reading all the info however if anyone knows a recognized company where i could go to do the training around TOWCESTER area as i mentioned before , even oxford i will appreciate it .there are so many companies on net advertising but i believe the only act as a middle man and that’s not what i want :slight_smile: so thanks

www.dataacademy.co.uk Rick who runs it posts on here based in Leicester but might be able to get test in Northampton?? ■■■■■■■ diamond that man is and I would thoroughly recommend you give him a call, they’ll teach you to drive, not just pass the test

OK thank you everyone for help ,this its the best forum i have been so far :slight_smile: and thanks Rog for the advice i got in touch with who you recommended and they are very friendly ,i believe i will go for the one in Oxford because they are actually based in banbury and as a location suits me best ,because the other one said they are based in near milton keynes but still waiting to be called because was only mail communications,… i have been already contacted by the other one and next week i will go to see their site where there are training so helpfully I will be pleased ,and obviously will have to compare the prices between them 2 i believe so thanks again ROG :slight_smile: :wink:

Remember to consider ALL the schools within your area and those which might offer something ‘more’ even if you have to consider travelling that bit further or staying in a B&B for a week.

Most can only afford one real shot at this so make it count.