Newbe

Hi all

I have been thinking about learning to drive a LGV for a while now . How do i get started and what good and bad points should i be looking out for .

Welcome to Trucknet.
I can’t be much help on getting started as I did my training years ago and things have changed. To start you will need to take a medical and get a provisional LGV licence. The first step will be to get your C licence which will let you drive rigids. Then there is the problem of finding work.
If you want to find out what people think of the job just read the threads, The Enjoy tread might be a good palce to start. :slight_smile:

Many thanks for the welcome

Welcome Thunderballs. Good luck.

Main advice point: If you can in any way arrange it so you do your class 1 ASAP after class 2, then go for it. You will not regret it one bit.

Hi
Are there there any grants avalable for training, even a small amount would help?

your best bet re: grants is to go down to the job centre and ask! I’m sure it varies region to region

other than that, ring around speak to 3 or 4 at least different schools and see how you get treated - could you spend 2 or 3 weeks in the cab with the person you’ve just spoken to ?

good luck

Si

Thanks for all the advice, Can you tell me if there realy is a shortage of drivers in this country. I think I heard the RHA say there was.

Depends on the area, and what wages you’re prepared to work for. In the southeast, they’re begging for drivers. Also in the midlands. Elsewhere, it’s a bit more touch and go.

thunderballs:
Thanks for all the advice, Can you tell me if there realy is a shortage of drivers in this country. I think I heard the RHA say there was.

Hi thunderballs

1st thing is 1st truck driving is only for certain people :open_mouth: It involves long hours nights sleeping in your truck :open_mouth: being push to the limit by the office bods :open_mouth:
but if it is for you then you will love it :sunglasses:

Depending on your personal possition and whereabouts they is lots of funding for people to train to drive a truck somtimes 100% of costs!

As for a shortage of drivers well if your prepaired to drive for a lets say a small wage to start then you shouldnt have a problem getting a job!

There is a shortage of good well paid jobs depending on where you live!

good luck and remember Truck driving isnt for everyone, put lots of thought into it and it would help if you started chatting to drivers and get a feel for what it is realy like to be a professional driver.

Thanks guys for the advice Im glad to have found such a helpful site.

As you can’t add to good advice I’ll just say good luck & if its your cash think carefully about if this is something you want to spend it on.
I love the job, mostly & concider my cash to have been well spent.

Hi and welcome Thunderballs, you seem to have had a lot of advice but this thread may be of some help to you http://trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1013, good luck

(abs1, I have taken the liberty to tidy up your post to make the link work, hope that was okay with you mate :wink: - AndyM)

Sorry thunderballs that link dont work must be somthing ive done but the article is by owens ■■■■■■■ page three of this forum and is called need funding for training sorry bout that. :blush: :blush: :blush:

abs1:
Sorry thunderballs that link dont work must be somthing ive done but the article is by owens ■■■■■■■ page three of this forum and is called need funding for training sorry bout that. :blush: :blush: :blush:

click here some how you had managed to get the word YOU included into the url before the http:// part

Hiya Thunderballs…

Welcome to TrucknetUK mate…

All the advice has been said already, so theres not a lot more I can add.
But I agree that Lorry Driving is something that gets into the blood. You either Love it, or Hate it… well, most of the time. :laughing: :laughing:

You have certainly found the No1 site, that will be able to give you all the help, advice and encouragement that you would ever need… so just dont be afraid to ask any questions, no matter how trivial you might think.

And may I wish you all the best of luck in your (hopefully!!) Future Career as a Professional Driver!!

Enjoy the site Mate!! :wink:

Hi guys and girls
Once again cant thank you all enough . Thunderballs

Thanks metalhead, if anyone needs some computer stuff doing wrong im your man. :laughing: :laughing:

For future referance.

Just before christmas the gov’t ran a trial scheme, the LSA, sorry don’t know what the letters mean, probably long words, where they would train up drivers to a NVQ standard, this was such a popular scheme that the funding ran out very quickly.

However, I have heard rummers that if it is succesful they may well bring it back in, so if anyone is thinking of traing either car to C or C to C+E, this MAY be an option.

Although if you are fortunate to be under 25, you’ll have to wait - sorry.

Hope this proves useful in the future.

Andy many thanks to you for that glad you are all stopping me looking like a complete dunce :laughing: :laughing: , by the way Andy how is your instructor? hope he is on the mend, also how is your training going has it re-started? thanks again for your help mate. Geoff.

No worries abs, that what we are here for… LOL

Dennis??, yeah, he’s on the mend…He’s back at work now, coz I had him for my retraining, last friday and monday… and guess who had there test on tuesday■■?.. well, SPOSED to have their test on tuesday!!.. Yeah, ME!! :imp: :imp: :imp:
But it got cancelled due to the strike…

Waiting on a third retest date now… can you believe it??.. :unamused: :unamused:
Still, I’ll get there… :wink: