Newbe

Depends on the area, and what wages you’re prepared to work for. In the southeast, they’re begging for drivers. Also in the midlands. Elsewhere, it’s a bit more touch and go.

Alikat

If this is the case why is it that I am finding it very difficult to find a job

Hi Thunderballs, I’m doing the NVQ course at the moment to get my LGV 1 which I got the other week. The company I work for put 3 of us on the course it does involve a lot of paperwork etc. How you get started from scratch I coudn’t tell you. So good luck anyway.

Looks like the JC will be the first stop on monday, About a year ago I was offered a job driving in the bristol area. The idea was that armed with a writen job offer the JC would sort out my training, Sadly they would not support me while i was doing my training because they would not let me leave the job i was in at the time. Somtimes its better to be unemployed when dealing with the JC. All is not lost however due to having to give up my job I am now not working so this i hope will simplify things a bit . Thunderballs

thunderballs

if you let us know where abouts in the country you are from we may be able to help you further as regards to driving schools and training .

alsowelcome to trucknet :laughing:

jon

Hi there
I live in cornwall ( otherwise known as the end of the world or the land time forgot )

Mat G:
For future referance.

Just before christmas the gov’t ran a trial scheme, the LSA, sorry don’t know what the letters mean, probably long words, where they would train up drivers to a NVQ standard, this was such a popular scheme that the funding ran out very quickly.

LSA = Learning and Skills Award (I think :bulb: ) Training funded through the Learning and Skills Council and with collaboration of the RHDTC.

It is not entirely true that the funding ran out because of the popularity of the scheme. What in fact happened was that the funding was ‘pulled’ early December due to a low completion rate.

Following protests from many organisations the funding was reinstated later that month but at a significantly reduced level.

As to whether the completion rate was low because of apathy on the part of the participants, their employers, or indeed, the training providers, is unclear. But what is clear, is that for anyone who undertakes training of this nature, they are doing not only a disservice to themselves when they fail to follow it through, but they are equally denying the opportunity to those that follow on afterwards.

The current round of funding ceases on 31 March and I do not yet know the detail of what will replace it. Current indications are that the qualifying age will be extended to include persons in their 30’s. As to whether there are any plans to change the structure of the funding, we will have to wait and see. However, I can see a justification for participants (or their employers) having to deposit a ‘bond’ refundable on completion of the NVQ element of the training.