Potential new Trucker

I am in the middle of researching and obtaining everything i need to gain my HGV licence…got my medical on the 27th feb (www.driversmedical.com)…just got my Theory cd-rom…so on and so on… ideally i would like to be able to get funding as i am currently unemployed :angry:

My plan is to gain class 2…get experience (judging by members posts, it is near impossible…which is news to me…heartbreaking news) then go for class 1 and ADR, to top up earnings etc…Yes i was duped into the advertising, that there was a shortage, more jobs than drivers etc etc… is this not the case then?..i still want to go for my licence even after reading peoples experiences,… but now the prospect of becoming a truck driver seems a lot less exciting now, if we have to fight for jobs, trouble gaining experience, on ■■■■ money, not many hours…is it really me worth?

I am from the Merseyside area, I am 24, 25 in May I have always thought i would go with sterling but again i have read so many bad comments about them…anyone recommend good training school in merseyside?..(possibly with guarantee pass thing) Any training schools have jobs attached or ones who HONESTLY help you obtain work? Is it really near impossible to get fulltime contract work at the moment.

I wouldnt mind doing long haul, overnight, european, canadian for example. ANY advice/info to above said would be appreciated…mainly factual?

Hi, welcome, first of all only refer to it as LGV license or it’ll awaken the Kraken [ROG :laughing: ]

ideally i would like to be able to get funding as i am currently unemployed

Unemployment ■■■■■ big time don’t it

Yes i was duped into the advertising, that there was a shortage, more jobs than drivers etc etc… is this not the case then?..

Far from it people laying off left right and centre, and cutting down days etc not all, but it seems most are currently feeling the pinch. If anything lots more drivers, some who have been doing it for a lifetime saturating the jobs market all applying for jobs, making it even more difficult for us newbies to get a look in

?..(possibly with guarantee pass thing) Any training schools have jobs attached or ones who HONESTLY help you obtain work? Is it really near impossible to get fulltime contract work at the moment.

This pass protection is crap its cheaper to pay re test fees etc is an insurance is the best to describe it, no way anyone can be ‘gaurenteed’ a pass when being tested by the Double Standards Agency :unamused: There are no jobs attached to any of these Sterling/Clearstone/Pathway/Easy as HGV etc I know i fell for the Sterling trap before i found this site :frowning: the companies they are ‘aff
ilaited’ with have never heard of them, i’ve personally called them to ask them

All that is factual as you asked for, try searching LIVERPOOL AND TRAINING in the search bar see if its been asked about before and see what guys&gals said then.

If you do get funding etc, good on you firstly i can imagine it’ll be hard to get that at this time, but you never know. Good luck with it all mate, try going to local haulage firms see if they will take you on and get you thru your test, slim chance but worth being cheeky :wink: will get you at worst a sod off, good luck with it all anyway and anything else needed ask away. I’m not being doom and gloom for no reason, passed test in Nov and no sniff of any job agency, fulltime or otherwise and its not from not trying, and loads of people on here are looking for work. But again good luck with it all mate :smiley:

*how many times do I wanna say good luck, change the record someone :exclamation: *

Yes i was duped into the advertising, that there was a shortage, more jobs than drivers etc etc… is this not the case then?

The harsh reality is NO, fraid not and never was either.

Remember there are already many experienced drivers out there seeking driver jobs, you’ll be joining a long queue.

Make that an ever increasing queue :frowning:

Hi there, I dont know if they have anything similar in England but here in Scotland we have “Learn Direct Scotland” its a grant that gives you £200 towards any kind of training, I am in the process of applying.
Perhaps typing “training grant England” in the search engine would be worth a try

Goog luck

Regards

Scott

Thanks for replies guys.

ah nuts! ahwell, it is not going to put me off getting my licence as this slump cant last forever…right?..please tell me it wont?..then there will be lots jobs for everyone…like those adverts say…not enough drivers?..right, right!!! :smiling_imp:

sorry…i just want a secure job on the road, i love driving and want to make a healthy living from it. :smiley:

i have the opportunity to move to holland/germany but im guessing it will be the same there? THEN il probably have to go through a whole shedload of procedures/papers etc etc and have to learn all over again?

Thanks Scott, il look into it and let you know, good luck with yours mate

I gave careers development a call today, i am eligible and they are sending me out forms, its a loan mind, i will have to pay back…but there is no interest…no harm in trying hey direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAn … G_10033240

IM SORRY TO OFFEND YOU BUT YOU`VE FORCE ME TO WITH YOUR POSTS!!!..

DO NOT!!! WASTE YOUR MONEY YOU SILLY FOOL!!!

Yes Im shouting!!!

There was NO truck driving work in Liverpool before the downturn!!! Im speaking from experience.

Good Luck your going to NEED IT!!!

Thanks Jono, youre welcome.

Scott

This slump wont last forever, i dont plan to work just out of liverpool, there was a lot of jobs out of liverpool, there still is a few just not as many now

il go where the money takes me

e.g…it gets updated weekly…im sure there are more sites

easyashgv.co.uk/HGV-Jobs/Merseyside/

Scott, i rang them up and they cant do anything for me :unamused: he gave me some website i could look at…was crap, ahwel il keep on truckin…oh wait…

http://www.easyashgv.co.uk/HGV-Jobs/Merseyside/

Where the brick wall■■? Need to bash my head against it :exclamation:

garnerlives:

http://www.easyashgv.co.uk/HGV-Jobs/Merseyside/

Where the brick wall■■? Need to bash my head against it :exclamation:

im not saying that is the bible of jobs, just quick look when choosing a training school :neutral_face:

Why dont you qualify jono.

Scott

I asked and he said there is no such thing available for learn direct england, i mentioned about scotland and he just said “well its not available for england”…that was it! guess il have to find the money myself!

Hi again Jono, so you dont qualify for the Career Development Loan either mate ?

Im waiting on the forms to come through mate, the bank (neither is my bank) is involved with this one so must mean my credit rating has to be good…im guessing…if so then im probably ■■■■■■ ha

ah i wont know unless i try.

Guess il have to give daddy a call…urgh…

So i guess its a case of get our licences and then sit on them until it picks up?

Keep us updated on your development, as i will you :slight_smile:

As you are still young what about the Territorial ARMY for your training.As most say there are few jobs and lots of experienced drivers ready to fill them .Good luck any way.

i did have a look at them but i have to serve at least 3 years? apparently, not into the whole yes sir no sir let me shine your boots sir, knowing me id tell him to do one.

looks like il have to scrape the money together, no point in rushing by the looks of it…

Will do Jono

Scott

if u are unemployed at the moment ask for full funding. if u have a medical problem its easier i manadged to blag my class 1 and hiab for nowt just cause i have asthma. u need to ask the right people in the job centre though as some dont want to help u. there is funding available just nee to ask the right people.

aye i will do andy, im going to ask and keep asking, no harm in it, hopefully itl ■■■■ them off and they will give in, its not like im wanting to stay.

il let everyone know how it goes