Newbieeee

Hey people

Im 22 and am currently trying to become one of yous (A Trucker) :smiley:.

At the moment ive been looking into various firms and Learning schools.
ever since i can remember ive always have the dream of either driving a truck down the motorway or driving a train.
however i know i aint going to even try with the train industry, expectations are way too high especially on education (wish i listened to the teachers lol)

Ive worked as a coachbuilder for 4 years, building 7.5ton rigids to the odd trailer :smiley:.
Im currently working 9-5 in a deadend job going no where infront of a computer.
However since passing my driving test, i really love driving and find it quite relaxing.

im currently thinking of going on the small approach for now like a delivery van driver, just to get out and about on the roads more while i sort out for my CAT C, then move onto ridgids for maybe a few months or a year, then in for my C+E licence.

As needing to set some funds up for my licences ive been looking into Haulage companies that will train while working for them so to speak, and pay so much back a month for the cost that the company has put in for me to get the licences. Since nothings free :frowning:.

Has any one come across companies that do this? Ive tried stobart no luck :frowning: (ive read the dislike topics hehehe, its only to get my foot in the door with a secure job while i learn for the licences).

I’d say for the moment matey you’ll have no luck getting people to pay for your license.

There are still firms going to the wall and more drivers becoming available to work, experienced drivers, that’s the key.

My advice is start saving up (or get finance/loan if you want to do it right away) and go for it, also I think you’re better to get your C&E as soon as possible as it opens up far more doors, it certainly did for me.

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome AV1D :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature at the bottom of this post. The link includes THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC which started on 10 Sept 2009.
Official DSA videos of modules 1, 2, 3 & 4

AV1D:
been looking into Haulage companies that will train while working for them so to speak,

Generally they don’t do that these days as they can get ready trained drivers at the drop of a hat
There are the odd companies about that will train a warehouseperson who has been with them for many years but I’ve not heard of any doing that for a while…

Like most on here - you are going to have to find the money to pay for this.
Many INDEPENDENT training schools offer finance deals - the LGV/HGV training BROKERS (middlemen) also offer finance but if you go down this route BE CAREFUL !!
Most, if not all, on this site will recommend that you go to the school and chat with their instructor(s) BEFORE parting with any money and to arrange an assessment drive, many of which are FREE :smiley:

JOB HUNTING :question: - A read of THIS POST may be useful - also CV & Interview tips
First year experience as a newbie after passing CE (with pics)

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

I suppose i best get the saving started :slight_smile:.

I think i should have started a long time ago, but most of all that went on alcohol hehehehe.

thanks for you tips guys :smiley:.

Whilst you are saving up you could use that time for some reading -
THE HIGHWAY CODE (Link)
All the theory & CPC books/CDs in one package

EU DRIVER REGS
VOSA GUIDE
RT(WTD)R guide

INITIAL DRIVER CPC MODULE 4
From a trainee who did a Mod 4 test

These may be useful nearer the time
Download the 8 page D4 Medical Form Please print (colour, not black & white)
ÂŁ49 MEDICALS
cheap medical places around the UK

HAPPY READING :slight_smile:

Good luck with your newventure AV1D. Im due to take my class 2 course and test in 2 weeks time and gotta admit, i was fortunate enough to have a family member fund my training. I havent heard of companies employing you and training, for a long time. Richard reads transport in gloucestershire used to do it but they had too many drivers take the [zb] and bugger off as soon as theyd passed their tests! Then reads introduced the “work for us for 2 years and keep your licence” and found that they were training up total idiots and in the space of 3 months, 3 new drivers mamnaged to either smash or tip over the wagons!
And we aint talking about box standard lorries, i`m talking “brand sparking new, [ZB] loads spent on customised sprays and other extras” wagons ( i suppose its their own stupid faults)

Anyhoo, i think other companies have really put the kai-bosch on funding for training due to current climates and the amount of incompetent “newbies” that are crashing through the sytem.

The best way you can do it is to work abit of overtime and put abit by each week. That or “government funding” and i know which one will get you there quicker! :slight_smile:

Like ROG said, in the meantime it would be most useful to by the books and read-read-read and keep reading! Ive now passed my theory, hazard perception and CPCmod 2 so am concerntrating on cramming asmuch of all 5 books in as possible......even after my passes, ull still need to read all books! there is sooooo much to take in and is easily forgotten if you havent paid enough attention.

From one newbie to another, i wish you all the very best of luck m8 and hope that it all falls into place for you. :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Stonehouse69:
From one newbie to another, i wish you all the very best of luck m8 and hope that it all falls into place for you. :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

thanks mate and i hope everything goes well for you in 2 weeks matie :smiley:

There are the odd companies about that will train a warehouseperson who has been with them for many years but I’ve not heard of any doing that for a while…

Sorry, have to disagree.

We’re up to the eyes in drivers being trained by their company. It’s seen as staff development and the employer would rather have the less experienced driver but know the person rather than an experienced, but unknown, driver. Has to be said that it slowed down last year but that’s long gone. Plenty of employers are funding training for their existing employees. :laughing: :laughing:

Welcome AV1D Good luck with it all dont forget any questions ask here many people will have personel experiences that can help you and there are good gurus here that will help with any question you have even if you think its daft ask, might get a bit of teasing but someone will explain the answer for you as everyone wants people to succeed here jx :smiley:

Hi again. thought id ask another question.

if i was to get my C licence would i need to do the CPC course to start working for a company?
Something i was thinking about last night.

Due to wanting a job driving, and only holding at CAT B licence with no Grandfarther rights, urgh stupid goverment and rules. I feel that i would have move chance if i had the CAT C licence, even if it was only driving a van upto 7.5ton combined weight. well untill i managed to get my C/E licence.

Thanks in advance :smiley: