Its all rather daunting!

Hey all, ive been on here for a few weeks, so i thought i’d let myself be known amongst you all.

I’ve wanted to drive Trucks/ LGV’s from a very early age, and have now only just come into the realisation that if i dont get off my behind and do it, i never will.
That said, from looking at the forums and reading through numerous websites claiming to have “too many LGV jobs for not enough people”, im starting to think that it will be increasingly harder for me to a) find a remote possibility that a company could sponsor me in undertaking this. or b) find a job, should i be able to fund this myself, either through an agency or direct at the LGV trainers.

I’m only 22, and i dont want to sound as if i’m moaning about being to late to do all this, so forgive me should you think to take my writing in that particular direction. i just want to be able to find the quickest, most efficient way of getting my licences, whilst being able to afford to live. My dad has said he will invest the money to put me through my courses, but i’d rather find a company that could put me through it and guarantee me a job at the end of the training. Does such a thing exist?

Thank you for reading what has turned out to be more of a blog, rather than a introduction hehe.

Regards

Alex

newbie,

first of all nobody can guarantee a job the best they could do is an interview maybe not even that! as for a company sponsering you try getting a job at robert wisemans they have a young drivers scheme so i am lead to beleive. that said they are also scarce as for jobs its hit n miss mate ive had my class 2 for 3 weeks and ive had nothing not even a warm lead. so if ur in a job i strongly advise to stay in it take a weeks holiday off to do your training for class 2 (cant be bad your getting paid to do your training right?) do ur cpc and get urlicences back and apply to agencies and companies whilst still working then your not at a loss like me unemployed with nothing on the horizon! DO NOT GO WITH AGENCY TRAINERS all they do is bid to the local driving firm close to u ,they dont always come thru and 9 times out of 10 mre expensive than if u went direct

good luck

Newbie2010:
Hey all, ive been on here for a few weeks, so i thought i’d let myself be known amongst you all.

Hi Alex,

It’s good to have you aboard, but if you’d give a clue as to your location, you’ll get some pointers from those with local knowledge. :wink:

Depending on whereabouts you live, and one or two other pre-conditions, there might be some funding options available.

We also have a list of providers who have been recommended by our members, whilst on the employment front, we also have members of your age who have secured employment as LGV drivers. :smiley:

Join the British Army (other military establishments are available)

Depending on the regt or corps you could get everything. You may well pay with your life but it’s a hell of an eye opener and experience.

Self employed HGV1 Driver West Yorkshire

Depends where you live

but dont think many company will put you through your licence even if you did work for them ( most would stil expect you to put yourself through )

The other problem is your age sorry but no disrespect as you will find that most company wont employ you until you are at least 25 this will be due to insurance also the 2 years experience thing ( but this has always been around for all jobs ) most company now have the pick of drivers due to there being so many not working atm

Good luck

sticklicence:
Join the British Army (other military establishments are available)

Depending on the regt or corps you could get everything. You may well pay with your life but it’s a hell of an eye opener and experience.

Or this say you would like to go into logistic core they will pay for all of it you may have to sign up for a few years

Thanks for the welcome and replies guys, its good to know there are people out there listening hehe.

I live in Oxfordshire so my choices that i know of a the banbury and biscester schools.

if anyone lives near me i would be grateful of any advice you could give, such as how you went about it and who you went with.

to jimmypk; thanks for the advice matey, im still working and have a week off soon, so im doing my medicals next week, hopefully my theory soon after that :slight_smile:

Alex

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23685

Some more reading matter

online.businesslink.gov.uk/Trans … hicles.pdf

WTF @ Ang spam bot :exclamation:

Rob K:

Click on the links they do work & no its not spam sorry cantbearsed on www.cantbebothered.com

animal:

Rob K:

Click on the links they do work & no its not spam sorry cantbearsed on cantbebothered.com

I know they’re not, but you’re posting like a spam bot with seconds between the posts :stuck_out_tongue: . It was a tongue in cheek comment flange :stuck_out_tongue: :smiling_imp: .

soz but really not in the mood

should have put them all on word then in here then they would all be on 1 page will do next time Mr Perfect

Thought I’d post a bit of an update, have spoken to the HR director at Chris Hayter (anyone heard of them? based in oxford). i have laid out my case in a letter, so heres hoping to get, at the very least, constructive criticism. they are an awesome company from what I’ve seen and heard of, and they know im more than willing to start at the bottom rung, doing the long hours :smiley:

Wish me luck :smiley:

Alex

Yep know of Chris Hayter have seen them about many times

Good luck with it

Newbie2010:
Thought I’d post a bit of an update, have spoken to the HR director at Chris Hayter (anyone heard of them? based in oxford). i have laid out my case in a letter, so heres hoping to get, at the very least, constructive criticism. they are an awesome company from what I’ve seen and heard of, and they know im more than willing to start at the bottom rung, doing the long hours :smiley:

Wish me luck :smiley:

Alex

Not trying to burst your bubble but long hours are par for the course!

then good, im all for the long hours, i know it may sound slightly exasperating to those who have been in the game a long time. but i really cannot wait to try my hand, driving has been a passion of mine since young and im very much looking forward to it. even the not-so-good stuff I’ve heard doesn’t phase me!

Then put your money where your mouth is.

that is something i hope to be able to do in the near future, at the moment i have to justify to myself if its worthwhile me doing my test, only to be unable to find a job just yet.

44 Tonne Ton:

I’m hoping you didnt mean to make that sound quite so aggresive?

Newbie2010:
that is something i hope to be able to do in the near future, at the moment i have to justify to myself if its worthwhile me doing my test, only to be unable to find a job just yet.

44 Tonne Ton:

I’m hoping you didnt mean to make that sound quite so aggresive?

No aggression from me just a statement. I wanted to do it when I was younger and I quickly realised the best way was to pay for it myself.

what would you suggest in the way of training? would you suggest its good to do a all-inclusive course whereby i do the whole thing, or would you suggest to do everything seperately?

Alex