Its all rather daunting!

Newbie2010:
what would you suggest in the way of training? would you suggest its good to do a all-inclusive course whereby i do the whole thing, or would you suggest to do everything seperately?

Alex

I’m not up on the training side of things as it’s all changed since I did it. Some things to consider that you may have read elsewhere on the forum.

Do you drive for a living at present? I ask this as I think any driving job will give you a much better idea as to whether it’s something that suits you BEFORE you splash the cash.
If you get past that one there’s a couple of obstacles waiting for you should you decide to take your LGV tests, one is your age and being under 25 WILL drastically reduce your opportunities along with your lack of experience. Most insurance policies demand a minimum two years experience so it’s a double whammy.
However, I said these things will reduce your opportunities but they won’t eliminate them entirely. There are companies who take on young, inexperienced drivers and they might even provide all your training!
If I was in your position I would spend the next year working as a driver, if you don’t already, ideally with a company that operates LGVs, getting a feel for the job. While doing that look for firms that take young drivers on. If at the end of the year you still feel it’s something you want to do and you haven’t been taken on for training by anyone then start putting yourself through it and take it all the way to C+E. Now at the age of 23 you have your LGV licence. You can keep looking for a start and depending on where you are and how much effort you put into that you could convert it into an LGV job. If it doesn’t happen then when you hit 25 you get rid of two major hurdles, your age and you have now held the licence for two years!

This is a good example of the kind of thing you need to do.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=67431

Flair LGV training in chelmsford are great and they do finance so it doesnt hit your pocket in one big hit

durknp:
Flair LGV training in chelmsford are great and they do finance so it doesnt hit your pocket in one big hit

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=66941&hilit=flair

This refers to Flair Training, proceed with caution!

I’ve spoken to him and it seems reasonable enough, im not going to make a judgements but that is one of the training schools i am going to visit once my licence and medicals are done. that and JDL as they are the closest to me

Newbie2010:
I’ve spoken to him and it seems reasonable enough, im not going to make a judgements but that is one of the training schools i am going to visit once my licence and medicals are done. that and JDL as they are the closest to me

blogs.mirror.co.uk/investigation … ped-b.html

again i make no judgements until i have been there and seen for myself. a lot of people have come to their defense. if they give decent advice but i dont go with them, so be it. they are a company and i wont have been the first one to go somewhere else.

Alex.

I did not know anything about flair before i signed up or of the history of the companies or previous ones. All i can say on the matter is that i have done my cat C, C+E, and CPC with flair and as a company and the training i felt it was all done very well and proffesionally. I feel that john does know what he is talking about when it comes to training and i had no problems whatsoever with flair. You must make up your own mind about who you choose depending on thier merits.

Comment from the man who runs this site…

RIKKI SAID:
Mr Dawson has promised to answer the content of this blog and other comments on the truck drivers forum- TruckNet UK, however so far as missed the dealines to reply that he set himself.
February 22, 2010 10:06 AM

And one from a poster on here…

HGVLGV TRAINING SAID:
John Dawson may have sold Qualitas but he was still employed by them and he knew exactly what was going on. I work in the HGV training industry and people like this give our industry a bad name. I set up a website to inform customers about the pitfalls of going via a broker.
May 27, 2010 4:19 PM

The man has been involved more than once in firms that went pop! Two of the people “defending” him are anonymous. I must say though, he looks an honest man…that’s sarcasm BTW!

Newbie and Durknp, if I’m ever charged with murder I want you two on the jury!

durknp:
I did not know anything about flair before i signed up or of the history of the companies or previous ones. All i can say on the matter is that i have done my cat C, C+E, and CPC with flair and as a company and the training i felt it was all done very well and proffesionally. I feel that john does know what he is talking about when it comes to training and i had no problems whatsoever with flair. You must make up your own mind about who you choose depending on thier merits.

Not a problem but do you have anything to compare it with :question: As I am just curious & yes I have been to 3 of the 4 providers in my area for an assessment drive so can compare them also been to another for my ADR & a different for 7 hrs of my CPC

I am not saying he dosent know what he is on about like I said I am just curious ( or a nosey ■■■■■ :laughing: )

Newbie2010:
but i’d rather find a company that could put me through it and guarantee me a job at the end of the training. Does such a thing exist?

I tried this option and contacted 30 or more haulage outfits around me in north east Scotland,
And got 3 replies with sorry not an option and the other lot did’nt even reply… :frowning: So it did not work for me…

Mark…

MarkyBoy:

Newbie2010:
but i’d rather find a company that could put me through it and guarantee me a job at the end of the training. Does such a thing exist?

I tried this option and contacted 30 or more haulage outfits around me in north east Scotland,
And got 3 replies with sorry not an option and the other lot did’nt even reply… :frowning: So it did not work for me…

Mark…

Not really in this climate as company are struggling enough atm as I am sure you are aware that several have gone this year

Why would they take a 22 year old who they dont know invest approx.3k :question: when the insurance would poss say no as you under 25 with no experience :unamused: when they could poss invest less in someone who works there already :question:

The chance of you getting a job is very slim due to all the experienced drivers out there now sorry to say although not impossible & things are only going to get worse even the agency cant always give you work

Have you read this

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30889